Prowl feature requests

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
PhYrE
Harmless

Prowl feature requests

Postby PhYrE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 am

I would love to see two features:

1. Ability to customize vibration. I have the 30-odd second bibi ring and want it to vibrate more than a simple text message to alert me of problems. This Is a biggie for me

2. Any way to override DND and make it an app that can disturb for certain notices?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Prowl feature requests

Postby zac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:29 am

PhYrE wrote:I would love to see two features:

1. Ability to customize vibration. I have the 30-odd second bibi ring and want it to vibrate more than a simple text message to alert me of problems. This Is a biggie for me

2. Any way to override DND and make it an app that can disturb for certain notices?

Sadly both of these aren't possible for the same reason: Apple is responsible for vibration and audio playback, and there's no way for Prowl to override the behavior.

gerlin
Harmless

Postby gerlin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 am

I am also interested in away to have Emergency Message show up and not the rest.

I have almost achieved this by setting "Quiet Hours" on, and the time from 12:10 PM - 12:00 PM.

This works, except there is a 10 minute window where the low priority alerts will show up. It does not seem the dialog will allow a smaller gap, I tried 12:00 PM - 12:00 PM, though that did not work for me.

Can the Quiet hours be set so that they cover the full 24 hour period?

From you response it sounds like the DND setting within Growl is tied to the iPhone's master DND setting?

However the Quiet hours do not seem to affect the other sounds on my phone (I hope not).

I just want to make sure there is no way for me to achieve this.

Thanks

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm

gerlin wrote:I am also interested in away to have Emergency Message show up and not the rest.

I have almost achieved this by setting "Quiet Hours" on, and the time from 12:10 PM - 12:00 PM.

This works, except there is a 10 minute window where the low priority alerts will show up. It does not seem the dialog will allow a smaller gap, I tried 12:00 PM - 12:00 PM, though that did not work for me.

Can the Quiet hours be set so that they cover the full 24 hour period?

From you response it sounds like the DND setting within Growl is tied to the iPhone's master DND setting?

However the Quiet hours do not seem to affect the other sounds on my phone (I hope not).

I just want to make sure there is no way for me to achieve this.

Thanks

DND in Prowl is the equivalent of turning on quiet hours for the whole 24-hour period. The DND setting within iOS is separate from Growl.

gerlin
Harmless

Postby gerlin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Great, that is what I wanted.

I thought that since the "Allow Emergencies" option gray's out when Growl's "Do Not Disturb" option is selected, that emergency messages would not be displayed.

I guess I should have tested.

Thanks.

RobLewis
Harmless

Postby RobLewis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Would love a way to "snooze" Prowl alerts in the iOS app. Similar to DND, but automatically re-enables alerts after a user-defined period of time.

Casey
Harmless

Custom Sounds

Postby Casey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Would be very helpful to add the ability to have customs sounds (like pick from ringtones perhaps?)

Thanks.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Custom Sounds

Postby zac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:07 am

Casey wrote:Would be very helpful to add the ability to have customs sounds (like pick from ringtones perhaps?)

Thanks.

Sadly, Apple only allows push notifications to play sounds that exist in the shipped application. Their apps have special abilities which are not available for App Store apps.

GACSALY
Harmless

Postby GACSALY » Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 am

Would apple allow an in-app purchase of a ringtone for use in your app?
If so, we could email you a sound, then we could buy the sound with an in app purchase.

I have many custom alert sounds like ""Smoke", "Front Door Opened", "Backyard Motion", "Home Power Fail", "Home Temp over 85", "Outside Temp Under 35", and many, many others. Currently I have to create a different gmail account for each alert type, all set to forward to my iphone SMS. I send all my alert messages to a single master gmail account with filter rules based on the subject line to forward to one of the message-specific gmail accounts which forward the message as SMS to my iphone. I then play a custom SMS sound based on the sender.

I also have custom vibrations for silent mode.
This works but is a real pain to set up, but I am unwilling to give up my custom sounds.
All the alert systems on the iphone have this same problem and many people want to do what I am doing without the hassle.

Also can apps setup custom alert vibrations?

RobLewis
Harmless

Postby RobLewis » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm always turning on Do Not Disturb and then forgetting to turn it off. I really need an option to automatically turn it off at a certain time every day! (Quiet Hours doesn't do it because sometimes I need to turn on DND in the middle of the day.)

If I can't get that, I'd take an API call to change the DND state.

Please? :sad:

Return to “Prowl”