Growl over the top of full screen apps?

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
elnewb
Harmless

Growl over the top of full screen apps?

Postby elnewb » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:18 am

Is it possible to allow Growl to display notifications over full screen apps such as when I play World of Warcraft full screen? I would like this to be possible so that I can see when I receive a new IM message or new e-mail.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:59 am

This is not possible. Fullscreen apps typically capture the display to prevent such behavior.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

nEmoGrinder
Harmless

Postby nEmoGrinder » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:36 pm

actually I have a specific fix for WoW. if you go into the video settings and instead of running in full screen, run in windowed mode, but select the option to have it maximized without borders.

This basically looks the same as full screen, lets OSX keep control of the F keys that aren't binded (basically my F11 and F12 open my bags, but F8, because it isn't bound to a function, still displays all my spaces in OSX). It allows you to switch spaces and whatnot so it is very handy.

I haven't tried it with growl, since I use the official msn, but the alerts for msn appear above WoW so I assume it would work for growl as well.

EDIT:
works with adium and growl. I switched over temporarily for now. I might be bouncing back and forth between adium and the official msn because of lack of support for personal messages. if and when they are implemented, I may stick with adium full time.

Return to “Growl”