Blurry / pixelated icons

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
mattrobs
Harmless

Blurry / pixelated icons

Postby mattrobs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:52 am

Some of my users are reporting that they're getting blurry icons, but it seems to be on random systems with random specs. On my system, the icons are drawn correctly. What could be the problem?

My growlstyle is here.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Icon cache is probably the problem. I remember that deleting a file fixes it, but I do not remember what file unfortunately.

That, or they could be using custom icons that are just gross?

mattrobs
Harmless

Postby mattrobs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:17 pm

Who would use 48x48 icons in Mac OS X? Wait -- do you think it's because of Leopard's 512x512 icons?

cpultz
Harmless

Same problem here

Postby cpultz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm using the iPhonesque theme for Growl 1.1.2 on OS 10.5.1. I am having the blurry/pixelated icon problem as well.

It is not a problem in all applications that access Growl, some appear crisp and clear. NetNewsWire is perfect. Adium displays user icons perfectly.

iTunes for example is blurry anytime there is no album art for a track and it displays the iTunes logo, but is fine when there is album art present.

(I had images, but apparently can't link them in my 1st post - system limitation. Sorry.)

Just adding some more specificity.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

It is only with the application's own icons (never with another icon that the app supplies, e.g. an Adium buddy icon)?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

cpultz
Harmless

Postby cpultz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 pm

NetNewsWire looks good.

Firefox looks good itself as an icon, but not the download and other alert icons it uses.

iStumblr has a mixed bag. Some icons look good (Firefox,iTunes, Finder) while the computer icons it uses look bad.

Transmit looks good.

iTunes is showing great cover art, but as I said, the iTunes icon you see if there is no cover art is horrible. (Is it coming from Quicksilver somehow? I think I have quicksilver monitoring iTunes and using Growl as the notification. The iTunes icon used by iStumbler looks good. That's why i wonder that.)

Adium user icons have looked good so far. (I think i have only seen 2 at this point.)

Hope that helps.

mattrobs
Harmless

Postby mattrobs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 am

OK, let's try something. cpultz, if you wouldn't mind downloading this Growl-spawning Applescript from Growl's homepage and running it. It'll just spawn a dummy Growl.

Now try changing the icon where it says icon of application "Whatever" to other apps — "Adium", "iTunes", and so one. And see if they're crisp.

cpultz
Harmless

All good

Postby cpultz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 am

I ran that script using MANY apps. EVERYTHING looked great. Even iTunes - the offender earlier.

Script Editor
Finder
Firefox
NetNewswire
iTunes
Quicksilver
Thunderbird
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Automator
CSSEdit
FileZilla
Final Cut Pro
Miro
Parallels Desktop
Preview
Safari
Smultron
Tooble
VLC

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 am

Seems to be a problem with the icon vendor to Growl, not the display style or Growl itself.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

alex33
Harmless

Re: Blurry / pixelated icons

Postby alex33 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Sorry to dig up an old (old) thread, but I'm having the exact same problem with any style. I'm just confirming really, is this a completely third party problem, there's nothing a growl user can do to rectify it? Would be pleasant if there was, it's really irritating. Had a trawl through Google results and Growl docs (and forums) but can't find any mention or solution. Below is a shot when Firefox has finished all of it's downloads.

Return to “Growl”