Growl for Windows - alpha now available

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
briandunnington
Muffin

Growl for Windows - alpha now available

Postby briandunnington » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:40 pm

i am sure that almost everyone that reads the Growl forum is running a Mac (since Growl only runs on Macs), but i have seen several people inquire about a Windows version. several people mentioned Snarl, which has a similar goal, but is not necessarily compatible with Growl.

so i decided to write the app myself. with the blessing of Chris and Brian, i whipped up a Windows version of Growl. you can check out the early screenshots at: http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/

although this is very early alpha code, most of the basic functionality exists and is working. it has full networking support, so you can forward notifications on to other Mac or Windows machines, and you can receive notifications from remote Mac or Windows machines (or any machine capable of sending a Growl notification). obviously, i dont have support for the XCode plug-ins, but i do have experimental support for the WebKit display styles.

take a look and if anyone is interested in helping me finish it up, just let me know.

MatthewFBS
Harmless

Re: Growl for Windows - alpha now available

Postby MatthewFBS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey Brian,

I would love to see this developed further--some of our guys primarily use Windows for a few things (mostly 3dsmax). I fired off an email; let me know how we can help!

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:01 pm

i replied to you offline and send a version of the code over. once you get it setup and running, report back here and let me know how it is working and your feedback. i would like to get the app more fully polished, so any suggestions or comments are welcome.

if anybody else wants to be an alpha-tester, just post up and let me know.

Pharao
Harmless

Postby Pharao » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi, I'd love to test it :)
Would you please send it to timo@hopelesscom.de?

Aragorn
Harmless

Postby Aragorn » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:09 am

Hey....I am also interested in alpha testing it. I am using snarl, presently. But I like Growl better.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 am

well, i finally have a version that i am willing to put out there to some alpha testers. for this version, i wanted to get the Display plugin architecture in place, so now you can not only create your own WebKit-based display styles with HTML/CSS, but full-featured displays for anything else as well. i included a couple additional displays that i created as well (one that forwards notifications to an email address, and one that slides down from the top of the screen). both of these were thrown together pretty quickly, more to test the architecture than anything else, so they dont have tons of options or features.

you can see the list of other changes/fixes in this version and previous versions in the release notes below. anyone who wants to can download the code from here: http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/Grow ... _1_1_0.zip (NOTE: make sure you run the 'setup.exe' and not the .msi directly or it wont install all of the necessary dependencies.)

most importantly, keep in mind that this is *alpha* software. i am sure there are bugs, and i know there are some features that are not implemented yet. if you use this software and miss a critical notification, dont come crying to me, k? =) that said, i would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

RELEASE NOTES:
v1.1.0 (current version)
------------------------------
- fixed a bug where multiple instances of Growl could be started simultaneously
- created IDisplay/Display interface for building custom display plugins
- updated main program code to load/handle display plugins as well as user-configurable settings
- re-wrote WebKit-based display to use the IDisplay interface
- created sample EmailDisplay to forward notifications to an email address
- created sample Visor display as an example of a custom display plugin

v1.0.1
- notification sticky override
- handle line breaks in WebKit-based displays
- created new installer that handles WebKit COM dependencies and initial Display styles
- changed location of 'user.config', 'application.settings', and 'forward.settings' files to Application.LocalUserAppDataPath
- fixed bug with notification list that occurred if the parent application item was deselected

v1.0.0 (initial release)
- taskbar icon
- start/stop service
- autostart at login
- default display type
- application display override
- notification display & priority overrides
- listen for network notifications
- accept remote registrations
- forward notifications
- about

inspiration:
"@everyone who wants a windows port - I've humored this for years. I no longer care to.
If someone wants to do it, that'd be great."
- Chris Forsythe (http://brok3n.org/archivesextreme/growl/index.html)

Pharao
Harmless

Postby Pharao » Thu May 01, 2008 4:21 pm

I tried a basic perl script and failed badly :???:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use Net::Growl;

register(host => 'sara',
         application => 'test app',
         password => 'pass', ) if ! $ALREADY_REGISTERED;

notify(application=>'test app',
        title=>'warning',
        description=>'some text',
        priority=>2,
        sticky=>'True',
        password=>'pass',
);

I get a notification that the application was registered but if I send a notification it doesn't appear on my screen. Any ideas? (please skip the "poor style - no use strict; - that's a test ;) )
Last edited by Pharao on Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Fri May 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Pharao wrote:I tried a basic perl script and failed badly :???:

I get a notification that the application was registered but if I send a notification it doesn't appear on my screen. Any ideas? (please skip the "poor style - no use strict; - that's a test ;) )

first of all - the fact that it installed and is running at all is good news to me =)

if the app registered properly but no notifications are showing up AND you are not getting any kind of error/crash, then i think it has to do with the fact that the password you sent for the register() and notify() are not the same. if you make sure both are the same and match what you configured in the Growl application, it should work.

if you get an error/crash, it is most likely due to the WebKit dependencies not registering properly. if you change the display style to 'Visor', you can temporarily work around that issue (that style is not the prettiest, but it does not use any WebKit dependencies).

Pharao
Harmless

Postby Pharao » Fri May 02, 2008 8:24 pm

briandunnington wrote:if the app registered properly but no notifications are showing up AND you are not getting any kind of error/crash, then i think it has to do with the fact that the password you sent for the register() and notify() are not the same. if you make sure both are the same and match what you configured in the Growl application, it should work.

Sorry, I pasted it while testing. The password matched of course. (fixed it in my post)
So that cannot be the problem.

moniker
Harmless

Postby moniker » Mon May 05, 2008 2:53 am

Just wanted to say a big THANKS for creating Growl for Windows. I've been looking for a cross-platform way of doing 'notification' type messages and wasn't having much luck with Snarl on Vista - but your Growl implementation works great! I created a simple little demo utility using Ruby and the 'ruby-growl' gem and it works on both the Mac and Vista!

Thanks again!
Attachments
Growl Capture.JPG
Growl Capture.JPG (96.58 KiB) Viewed 34615 times

ipurvis
Harmless

Postby ipurvis » Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 am

cool! just did a quick .NET 3.5 test w/ windows XP, and it seems to be working well:
Attachments
growl_net.png
growl_net.png (85.85 KiB) Viewed 34674 times

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Thu May 08, 2008 1:00 am

glad to hear it is working for most of you, and especially glad to hear it works on Vista since i couldnt test there.

i just am putting the finishing touches on the next update which adds support to receive notifications directly from web applications. this is not just like from a php or perl script like you can do now using the UDP protocol and by specifying your computer's address, but from any web page via javascript directly to your local instance of Growl, without you having to tell the application anything about your local address. so, say if you had Gmail or something open in a browser (and they implemented this technique, which they probably wont), they can push notifications down to your computer directly. kind of like the Notifications API proposed to be part of Google Gears, but without requiring Gears (or any plug-ins) and it integrates into Growl (instead of being its own seperate thing).

npike
Harmless

Postby npike » Fri May 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Brian-

This makes my day, thank you so much. :D

knave
Harmless

Postby knave » Sun May 11, 2008 11:20 pm

As someone who uses a mac @ work and windows pc @ home, this is awesome for me. Installed and tested it under XP SP2 with Net::Growl, and it works like a charm.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

I think we need to start looking into bringing this into the project main. I think that xplat would be useful.

Does the code for this have any chance of working on linux/unix? Growl as-is certainly does not.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Tue May 20, 2008 11:43 pm

in theory, the .NET code could run linux using the Mono runtime. i have never tried running any of my programs on linux using mono, but it is worth a shot. reading the mono website today, it says that the mono framework is 'somewhere between v1.1 and v2.0' of the .NET framework - my Growl for Windows code is written against v2.0 of the .NET framework, so i am not sure if 100% of the code would port over. i think mono has a tool (mono migration analysis) that can check to see if all of your .NET code is supported in the current version of mono, so that would at least highlight any areas of concern.

that said, this is still a pretty early version of the software - i am not sure that some of the underlying concepts that i used will stay the same as development progresses, so i wouldnt want to spend too much time quite yet making sure it all worked in mono only to find out that i am changing the guts around anyway later on. (specifically, the cross-app messaging and the display plugins are things that i would like to really get nailed down).

but, it is probably worth getting windows support going, and then if the mono changes are doable, it will be an easy way to gain that platform as well. worst case, you are no worse off than now, since you say that in its current form, there is no way Growl will run on linux.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed May 21, 2008 2:27 pm

What I'm curious about is a backend that runs on all three, and then 3 frontends that access the backend. Maybe that's silly though.

Long term I'd like to be able to have an official windows and os x release.

suda
Harmless

Postby suda » Thu May 22, 2008 12:11 pm

briandunnington wrote:if you get an error/crash, it is most likely due to the WebKit dependencies not registering properly. if you change the display style to 'Visor', you can temporarily work around that issue (that style is not the prettiest, but it does not use any WebKit dependencies).

I don't have any errors but i see only Visitor style. So i can assume that my WebKit dependencies are broken. I have Safari 3.1.1 (525.17) installed on my Vista x64. I tried to download WebKit nightly build and extract it to Growl dir, then system32 dir and nothing helped. Can I manually fix this?

Btw. Growl for Windows is what I've been waiting for a long time :)

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Thu May 22, 2008 5:32 pm

if you can get the Visor style to work, but nothing else, then you are correct in assuming that your WebKit dependencies are broken. there are two ways to fix the issue:

#1 - (preferred) uninstall the application and install the new version that fixes this issue (v1.2.1): http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/Grow ... _1_2_1.zip

#2 - go to the folder where Growl is installed (ex: C:\Program Files\Vortex Software\Growl For Windows\) and navigate to the \Displays\WebDisplay\WebKitDependencies folder, where you should find 7 .dll files. the WebKit.dll file needs to be registered using this command:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Vortex Software\Growl For Windows\Displays\WebDisplay\WebKitDependencies\WebKit.dll"

(or whatever your path to the file is)

that should fix things up. the WebKit support is kind of shaky right now, but i hope to get it sorted out so that it just uses the currently installed version of Safari/WebKit automatically and does not need these specific dependencies.

drano
Harmless

Postby drano » Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm actually working on something like this myself, but I haven't posted about it anywhere. My friend searched "growl for windows" after I told him about my project and he shows me this page. It actually sucks to see that someone else has already been writing something like this, because maybe we could have consolidated the effort a bit. Mine is nearing release so I just wanted to talk about it.

At any rate, my application is called Grumble (it's described in a not-yet-public-blog post at http://drano.org/blog/2008/05/introducing-grumble/). It's written in C++ and I've implemented the Snarl API so everything that already supports Snarl can be used with my app. I also wrote a new library for people to use that isn't complete garbage (like Snarl's sample code). I don't use WebKit, but I wrote a custom renderer that does really nice alpha stuff on layered windows.

Here's the theme preview window:

and the Applications window:

briandunnington, I'd actually like to talk to you about the two projects. Can I get an email address or AIM username? My email is rogerclark@gmail.com and my AIM screen name is "not roger clark".

Thanks all!

Return to “Growl”