Growl for Windows - alpha now available

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
drano
Harmless

Re: Growl for Windows - alpha now available

Postby drano » Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm

I'd also like to see what the Growl devs think about my project, so yeah

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu May 22, 2008 10:00 pm

I think it's time we started an official part of the project for windows. I don't know the best way to do that as of yet, and this needs to be vetted by the rest of the team, but I think it'd be useful.

drano
Harmless

Postby drano » Thu May 22, 2008 10:51 pm

If it makes sense to use my project, then I'd be up for it. I'm pretty averse to using .NET for something like this, but if it makes sense to use Brian's app or write a completely new app, then there's no reason they couldn't coexist.

If neither one of us wants to work on the other's project, at the very least I'm interested in implementing Brian's API like I implemented Snarl's, or a new one or something. My friend is implementing Growl's network protocol in my app soon, so that should bring it pretty close to on par with his feature set.

I don't have a build available to try yet, but I could try to get one out soon.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri May 23, 2008 2:37 pm

It doesn't make sense to have 2 projects+ for this I think.

How about .net for the config gui, and c++/stl/whatever where it makes sense for the display notifications?

drano
Harmless

Postby drano » Fri May 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Well, regardless, I'm not just going to stop development, haha. If nobody can agree to cooperate, even if it "doesn't make sense" to have 2 projects for it, it's probably going to happen anyway. Natural selection will come into play at some point.

There's not really much point in making one side .NET and the other native, and I don't think that's a reasonable goal for either of our projects. It would make no sense to take half of his and half of mine or something like that, especially when the code already exists for both halves of both apps. So, yeah... probably not going to do that.

But I'm just speculating at this point.

suda
Harmless

Postby suda » Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 pm

briandunnington wrote:#1 - (preferred) uninstall the application and install the new version that fixes this issue (v1.2.1): http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/Grow ... _1_2_1.zip

#2 - go to the folder where Growl is installed (ex: C:\Program Files\Vortex Software\Growl For Windows\) and navigate to the \Displays\WebDisplay\WebKitDependencies folder, where you should find 7 .dll files. the WebKit.dll file needs to be registered using this command:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Vortex Software\Growl For Windows\Displays\WebDisplay\WebKitDependencies\WebKit.dll"

None of this worked for me. Registration of WebKit.dll was successful but I still see Visitor style. Maybe because i have Safari and Flex Bulder 3 with AIR (i have 7 WebKit.dll files in my system). Are there some logs that can help You (or me :P) to find solution?

And another thing: can configuration window don't show on every startup? It's quite annoying ;)

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 pm

suda wrote:None of this worked for me. Registration of WebKit.dll was successful but I still see Visitor style. Maybe because i have Safari and Flex Bulder 3 with AIR (i have 7 WebKit.dll files in my system). Are there some logs that can help You (or me :P) to find solution?

And another thing: can configuration window don't show on every startup? It's quite annoying ;)

there is not much logging built in yet, but there is a simplistic log file you can check. in your user folder (ex: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Vortex\Vortex.Growl.WindowsClient\1.2.0), there should be a growl.log file. you can see that each registration request and each notification request is logged there. if the notification is blocked for any reason, it will say BLOCKED, otherwise, it will say ALLOWED. if your notifications are getting blocked, then it should be as simple as a notification that is not enabled (but i doubt this, since it works for the Visor style). if the notifications are being allowed but not showing up, it is almost certainly a WebKit issue. since you have so many other WebKit-based apps installed, i would try uninstalling and reinstalling the newer 1.2.1 version (if you have not already). if that still doesnt work, then i am stumped. i will have to think about it some more. i was able to reproduce the issue on another machine here, but registering the WebKit.dll fixed the problem for me.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Fri May 23, 2008 6:32 pm

drano wrote:If nobody can agree to cooperate, even if it "doesn't make sense" to have 2 projects for it, it's probably going to happen anyway. Natural selection will come into play at some point.

i think that everyone is agreeing to cooperate, since having one version is better for everyone than having a bunch of incompatible forks. since you said

drano wrote:Well, regardless, I'm not just going to stop development, haha.

and

drano wrote:If it makes sense to use my project, then I'd be up for it. I'm pretty averse to using .NET for something like this, but if it makes sense to use Brian's app or write a completely new app, then there's no reason they couldn't coexist.

it seems to give the impression that if everyone wants to use your app, that is great, but if you want to use something else, you will forge ahead on your own. hopefully that is not the case and i simply misunderstood your tone.

i wont get into a long discussion of which programming languages are best suited for each task at hand, but The_Tick's idea of a common backend (ie: single code base) is a good idea i think. handling each OS'es display and rendering should probably fall to a platform-specific language (in order to take advantage of the most featues with the fewest hacks), but my Display architecture is interface-based (as is the original Growl's), so it would be easy(ier) to let each platform implement display styles in their natural language and still have the core application handle them all.

drano
Harmless

Postby drano » Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 pm

briandunnington wrote:i think that everyone is agreeing to cooperate, since having one version is better for everyone than having a bunch of incompatible forks. -cut- it seems to give the impression that if everyone wants to use your app, that is great, but if you want to use something else, you will forge ahead on your own. hopefully that is not the case and i simply misunderstood your tone.

Well, in any case, they wouldn't be forks in the traditional sense anyway. Separate applications that do the same thing compete with one another, but there's not really any sort of forking going on.

But yeah, that is the case. I'd forge ahead on my own. I did start my project with the intention of seeing it through to the end, so regardless of whatever outcome, that's what I'm going to do. I don't really think there's anything bad about that; giving people too many choices can be a bad thing sometimes, but that's certainly not the case here. Plus, there's no reason things would have to become incompatible (as far as interface and functionality goes). I am perfectly happy emulating the APIs of other, similar applications so that everyone can interoperate. In fact, my app doesn't even have its own native API at the moment and just listens for Snarl messages (which sucks, but I could always implement yours later, too).

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Fri May 23, 2008 8:05 pm

well, whether i agree with all of your points or not, that at least clears up some things, so i appreciate you taking time to outline your vision. i can appreciate that you want to see your project through, but i think we have fundamental differences in what we are trying to accomplish.

my project was not ever intended to be a "Growl-like" app - it was intended to *be* Growl, but on Windows. i talked to Chris over at Snarl and considered going that same route, but Growl is already considered the defacto standard for notifications, so i didnt want to re-invent the wheel. that is why i have tried to mimic (albeit crudely at the moment) the UI and even re-use the WebKit-based displays without modification. my app has no API of its own either, it uses the same protocol as Growl so it is 100% compatible with Growl on the Mac. i would like to see a unified notification solution on multiple platforms, whether it is my implementation or not.

i have talked to the Growl devs via email about rolling this project under their umbrella, and i would like to see that happen. my schedule and priorities are such that i cant commit lots of time to this consistently, but i definitely want to see it turn into something useful, so i hope they can take it and run with it, even if it is just the idea.

drano
Harmless

Postby drano » Fri May 23, 2008 8:15 pm

I am actually interested in what you mean by "100% compatible with Growl on the Mac" and how your app operates in general. From the screenshot of the guy's C# code, it looks like you're exposing a COM API - am I right? If so, that doesn't seem like it would be compatible. Or, alternatively, are you just listening for network events like Growl?

I'm not totally sure how yours works and I'd like to discuss it a bit. Email/IM?

sr55
Harmless

Postby sr55 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:59 pm

Alot of promising work here :).

Just thought i'd chap in and offer my help if needed.
I'm currently the sole developer of the C#.net based GUI for HandBrake so have a good bit of experience with C#. Also have a little, but not very much experience using VSC++

MLetterle
Harmless

Postby MLetterle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 pm

What's the status on this? I know it's a bit dated, but I just found out that stuff had actually been released... I'm willing to help if need be.

lightningsix
Harmless

Postby lightningsix » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 pm

sr55 wrote:Alot of promising work here :).

I'm currently the sole developer of the C#.net based GUI for HandBrake so have a good bit of experience with C#. Also have a little, but not very much experience using VSC++

Sorry, I am completely new to the forum and this is my first post forgive my noobness.
Anyone have a link to Growl for Windows for download?
-Thanks.

MLetterle
Harmless

Postby MLetterle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 pm

lightningsix wrote:
sr55 wrote:Alot of promising work here :).

Sorry, I am completely new to the forum and this is my first post forgive my noobness.
Anyone have a link to Growl for Windows for download?
-Thanks.

About six posts up my friend :) http://www.tripthevortex.com/growl/Grow ... _1_2_1.zip

Jaykul
Harmless

Postby Jaykul » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:22 am

So, not much news in a couple of months, how is this coming? Is there source code available? Do you need any help? 'Cause I'd really like to volunteer to fix the pop-ups so they don't all pop-up in the same place hiding each other... :-D

--
Joel "Jaykul" Bennett
http://HuddledMasses.org/

MozillaSnarls
Harmless

Postby MozillaSnarls » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi,

as probably most of you I am at a Mac at home and really love it - and I even love it more because of the two greatest apps ever: Quicksilver and of course Growl. :) And I have to deal with Windows at work. :(

So I searched also for Growl for Windows in the end of 2007 and found Snarl. And I really like Snarl (http://www.fullphat.net) as it is feature complete and really stable and I made some nice extensions for it on the Windows plattform (those of you using or having tested Snarl probably have tried one of my Mozilla or Pidgin extensions :)).

Now in 2008 we suddenly have three more or less independent projects on Windows all covering Growl-like or Growl-compatible notifications. I am currently working with Chris (developer of Snarl) on version 2.1 of Snarl with support for notifications out of the browser using the great idea from Brian (http://ajaxian.com/archives/growls-for- ... cation-api) - many thanks to Brian also using this way!.
And it already works now - we are now able to get notifications from webpages and I think this is an awesome feature in those Web 2.0 days!

I would suggest to unify all those notifications system within the new API/protocol using JSON. My dream would be that all flavours of Growl would understand an open API for notifications (something like the "Open Notification Protocol") - so it should be defined as much independent as possible and the applications could take only those parts out of the request they support. In the first step we now will use the API in growl.js as it is and will probably only add an image-path to the notifications itself.

Of course having been involved now that deep in Snarl I am addicted to it - but I would love to see a notification system as open as possible (also what about a Linux version and so on) - so let's come all together :)

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 pm

update: i uploaded all of the source code for the main app, the display styles, the app bridge, and everything else to a google code project: http://code.google.com/p/growl-for-windows/
i will add any contributors that want to help out.

i would also like to see all of the various Growl and Growl-like apps unified with a common protocol - in fact, that was the main reason for starting Growl for Windows and not just working with Snarl (although i have also worked with Chris from Snarl and wrote some code for him so he could send & received Growl notifications from Snarl). it would appear that everyone would like to have interoperability instead of three or four close-but-not-quite alternatives.

whether the proposed Open Protocol is based on the current Growl format, or xml or json or whatever, adding support for an image path would be a big help. that is one of the sticking points with sending notifications from the web - no image support. also, for my local desktop notifications (non-network, non-web), i use the same protocol (instead of using windows message passing or whatever). that makes the code very reusable and modular, but again, the lack of image support is a deterrent. if a new/updated protocol format could be agreed upon that worked for local, network, and web notifications, i think that would be a huge win for everyone.

as for development on Growl for Windows, it has definitely stagnated. i have been busy with my real work and with a new house and all of the 'distractions' of real life. i have had a few people email me directly to ask how they could help out (and fixing the notification placement is definitely a top priority), but i havent even had the time to gather up the source code and make it available. i think i will try to get the source code together and put it up on google code or somewhere and let anybody who is interested take a shot at it. i would love to see a cross-platform (including linux) solution developed, but i just dont have the time to commit to the project by myself. anyone who is interested can shoot me an email and i will add you to the list of contributors once i have the source repository set up.

MLetterle
Harmless

Postby MLetterle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Well I got it to compile and run. I assume that some edits were made to WebKit.NET? I had to comment out some stuff that wasn't exposed... if you could upload your local copy of WebKit.NET that would be helpful...

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm

MLetterle wrote:Well I got it to compile and run. I assume that some edits were made to WebKit.NET? I had to comment out some stuff that wasn't exposed... if you could upload your local copy of WebKit.NET that would be helpful...

the webkit.net stuff is from another open source project (http://swift-wb.googlecode.com/). when i built it, i used that source code with the modifications you mentioned since the source for that project is somewhat incorrect/incomplete. i dont want to upload another version of all of that code base, but i will try to get a working compiled version of the WebKitBrowser assembly put up on the google code site.

Return to “Growl”