Growl for Windows - alpha now available

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
MLetterle
Harmless

Re: Growl for Windows - alpha now available

Postby MLetterle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 pm

briandunnington wrote:
MLetterle wrote:Well I got it to compile and run. I assume that some edits were made to WebKit.NET? I had to comment out some stuff that wasn't exposed... if you could upload your local copy of WebKit.NET that would be helpful...

the webkit.net stuff is from another open source project (http://swift-wb.googlecode.com/). when i built it, i used that source code with the modifications you mentioned since the source for that project is somewhat incorrect/incomplete. i dont want to upload another version of all of that code base, but i will try to get a working compiled version of the WebKitBrowser assembly put up on the google code site.

That'll work, I should be able to take it from there. I REALLY had a hard time with swift-wb... I actually ended up using the source from http://swiftdotnet.googlecode.com

MLetterle
Harmless

Postby MLetterle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:55 am

I've updated SVN. Anyone SHOULD be able to do a checkout and build it now (at least in Debug mode). If you're upgrading it to VS2008 you may have to switch the configuration for it to work properly. There's also an initial, hacky fix for stacking standard alerts.

I'm thinking we should either fork webkit.net so we can keep it all together, or work closely with one of the existing projects out there.

Also, it would be nice to be rolled into the project proper... any further discussions on that? :mrgreen:

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:30 pm

MLetterle wrote:Also, it would be nice to be rolled into the project proper... any further discussions on that? :mrgreen:

I'd be happy to have the project work with Growl for windows. The problem is that you guys are talking about 2,3, or even more projects, which leaves me to just sit and wait to see which one(s) will last and which one(s) will be abandoned. I've seen too many projects dropped due to having too few people on them that knew the project.

Of course if you all worked together on a single project I'd have my decision made for me.

MLetterle
Harmless

Postby MLetterle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:56 pm

The_Tick wrote:
MLetterle wrote:Also, it would be nice to be rolled into the project proper... any further discussions on that? :mrgreen:

I'd be happy to have the project work with Growl for windows. The problem is that you guys are talking about 2,3, or even more projects, which leaves me to just sit and wait to see which one(s) will last and which one(s) will be abandoned. I've seen too many projects dropped due to having too few people on them that knew the project.

Of course if you all worked together on a single project I'd have my decision made for me.

To be fair, there is only one project attempting to port Growl proper to Windows. The other projects are similar concepts, which happen to support the Growl protocol.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:30 pm

MLetterle wrote:I've updated SVN. Anyone SHOULD be able to do a checkout and build it now (at least in Debug mode). If you're upgrading it to VS2008 you may have to switch the configuration for it to work properly. There's also an initial, hacky fix for stacking standard alerts.

I'm thinking we should either fork webkit.net so we can keep it all together, or work closely with one of the existing projects out there.

Also, it would be nice to be rolled into the project proper... any further discussions on that? :mrgreen:

that is awesome. sorry if it was a bit of a challenge to get things working - i never intended on anybody else working on the project, so i didnt take as much time to make sure it was easy to set up. i am definitely going to go grab the stacking fix and try it out.

as for the webkit.net stuff, i agree that we need a better solution. all along, the webkit stuff has been the hardest part of the setup/development/deployment. if anybody has a alternative that they like better, i am open to whatever. keeping the webkit rendering would be nice though so that html styles display consistently across platforms (using the IE BrowserControl does not produce good results).

from reviewing the work of the guys at Snarl and reading the posts by the developer of Grumble, i would agree with MLetterle that this is the only project trying to port Growl proper. when i started the project, i didnt want it to be like Growl, i wanted it to *be* Growl, just running on windows. that isnt to say that the other projects arent doing some cool stuff as well, but i think they are approaching it from another angle.

trinkel
Harmless

Postby trinkel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm

This is a great project. Looks like this thread hasn't had much activity lately and I can't find anywhere else that seems to be discussing it.

I have been using Mac Growl to display notices from our mail server when new mail arrives and now I'm trying to fold in our PC users as well. In the hopes that someone is still reading this, I have have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to have the application launch on startup but not leave a window open? I have several users for whom this would simply be too much work >:o

2. Can notices be stacked on the PC rather than laying on top of each other?

3. Is there a function to close all notices at the same time?

4. Does it do sound?

Thanks!

T.

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:40 pm

the current version of the code is still pretty much alpha, so most of the issues you asked about are not supported yet (see below for specifics). however, the code is open source (available at http://code.google.com/p/growl-for-windows/), so anyone can make fixes, add features etc. i havent had much free time to work on it lately, but MLetterle has made several improvements (including addressing the stacking feature).

trinkel wrote:1. Is it possible to have the application launch on startup but not leave a window open? I have several users for whom this would simply be too much work >:o

the current downloadable version always leaves the window open unfortunately. it is an easy change to make, but it is a code change.

the pre-built executable doesnt stack, but MLetterle's changes in the source repository enable this behavior.
3. Is there a function to close all notices at the same time?

nope.
4. Does it do sound?

each display decides how it wants to handle the message, including any visual or audio alerts. none of the included displays do sound, but there is a display framework that lets you create your own displays to do whatever you want (play a sound, send email, etc)

briandunnington
Muffin

Postby briandunnington » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 pm

trinkel wrote:1. Is it possible to have the application launch on startup but not leave a window open? I have several users for whom this would simply be too much work >:o

I compiled a new version that contains both of these fixes. you can grab it from http://growl-for-windows.googlecode.com ... _2_1_1.zip

for anyone else that has feature requests or finds bugs (there are a lot of them in there), you can either add them to the project's wiki page (http://code.google.com/p/growl-for-wind ... reRequests) or post a note in the discussion group (http://groups.google.com/group/growl-fo ... 27c88d9923).

MY STADY
Harmless

Postby MY STADY » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:15 am

Will it support webkit styles or similar?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't even read the replies before posting. So that makes me a RUDE idiot! Sorry.

EDIT: Gawd, an idiot that bumped an ANCIENT thread! *slashes wrists*

Return to “Growl”