Growl message not staying on screen

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
kevinm78
Harmless

Growl message not staying on screen

Postby kevinm78 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:05 pm

I am using Growl with Alarm Clock Pro. I need to have the text of an alarm stay on screen so I know why the alarm was ringing. As it is working now, the growl notification remains on the screen for a few seconds and then disappears. If I am away from my computer, or not looking at the screen when the alarm goes off, I have no idea why it rang.

I have tried every possible combination of settings, both in Alarm Clock Pro, and in Growl. Also, the preferences in growl do not match what is shown on your web page. The sticky check mark boxes are not there. Are these screen shots from an older version?

Is it possible to get Growl to work the way I want it?

clintobean14
Muffin

Re: Growl message not staying on screen

Postby clintobean14 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:36 am

choose the the program in the applications tab, click configure, choose each notification it offers, and choose always for Stay on Screen. that is with 1.1.2 and above.

kevinm78
Harmless

Postby kevinm78 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:03 pm

clintobean14 wrote:choose the the program in the applications tab, click configure, choose each notification it offers, and choose always for Stay on Screen. that is with 1.1.2 and above.

I have that selected. One thing that is confusing is that on the display options page there is a "duration" slider. The maximum setting for the slider is 10 seconds and that seems to be how long the alert is being displayed. Is there any way to override that setting - or is that not the problem?

clintobean14
Muffin

Postby clintobean14 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 am

um, you should on, the main page of the growl preference, set the notifications to sticky after a certain amount of time, like if you went away from your computer. that should solve your problem.

kevinm78
Harmless

Postby kevinm78 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:51 am

clintobean14 wrote:um, you should on, the main page of the growl preference, set the notifications to sticky after a certain amount of time, like if you went away from your computer. that should solve your problem.

I am using 1.1.2 which I believe is the current version. Nowhere in the preference pane do I see the word "sticky."

I have set "Leave notifications on screen after" for as little as 2 seconds and as long as 900. I have set the application's pane (Alarm Clock Pro) of "stay on screen" to both "Always" and "applications decides." I have set Alarm Clock Pro's ringing preferences to "send notification to GROWL>alert must be acknowledged." No matter what I do the notification fades away in about 10 seconds. What I don't understand is why there is a slider in the "Display Options" tab that has a maximum setting of 10 seconds. There seems to be no way to override that setting. That is the amount of time the notification stays on the screen.

I don't mean to be oblique. Perhaps you would tell me in a little more detail how I can get this to work - or if it will not do what I expect it to do.

kevinm78
Harmless

Postby kevinm78 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:33 am

I found the problem. I was using "Bezel" for my notifications, and evidently it doesn't stay on the screen. Music Video as well. I moved to "Above the night" and the problem is solved. It's too bad - I liked bezel the best. Especially with my 30" monitor. It appeared just below the middle of the screen.

Thanks for your help.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:13 pm

We can't do sticky with queue based notifications. I don't know of any way to make that work.

bbense
Harmless

Postby bbense » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Can you give a list of the "queue based" notifications ? It would be nice if the prefs could let you know about this, but I could see
how that might be difficult. FAQ at least...

_ Booker C. Bense

briancummings
Harmless

Postby briancummings » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:48 am

Wow, this one had me baffled too.

I changed to "AboveTheNight" and now stickies work again. Can someone in the know please list the queue based notifications somewhere so we can avoid this. Also, how hard would it be to make a non-queue based notification that "looked" like "Music Video". I would like some big bold notification to stay on the screen when someone sends me a urgent message and I am away from my computer, come back and you can't miss it (a - it needs to stick, and b - it needs to be nice and big.

briancummings
Harmless

Postby briancummings » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 am

Wow, this one had me baffled too.

I changed to "AboveTheNight" and now stickies work again. Can someone in the know please list the queue based notifications somewhere so we can avoid this. Also, how hard would it be to make a non-queue based notification that "looked" like "Music Video". I would like some big bold notification to stay on the screen when someone sends me a urgent message and I am away from my computer, come back and you can't miss it (a - it needs to stick, and b - it needs to be nice and big.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Basically anything like music video or bezel where it's a single window, in the same place, every time there is a notification, is queue based.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 am

The_Tick wrote:Basically anything like music video or bezel where it's a single window, in the same place, every time there is a notification, is queue based.

Right. If you only ever get one notification window at a time, that's a queue-based display. Most displays, including the default, show multiple notification windows at a time.

Return to “Growl”