Mail disruption with Growl

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
ponpilot
Harmless

Mail disruption with Growl

Postby ponpilot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

After installing the 10.5.6 system update, Growl 1.1.4 causes Mail to crash, which was not the case before the system update. Disabling Growl fixed the problem. Is there a Growl update that fixes this? The behavior varies some, but the net affect is Mail either quits, locks up, stops for a minute or two, or crashes. One scenario is if a message is being typed while a Growl notification comes in, any further typing results in nothing happening onscreen. Then if you continue typing anyway, if Mail comes back at all it will hurriedly place the typing onscreen. But most often, Mail never comes back, it crashes, and your message is lost. Another scenario is if left on during the night, Mail might still be open and showing in the morning, but it's dead in the water. You can not create a new message, or save an old one you worked on before, no new mail comes in, and you can send none out. There might be many Growl notifications showing on screen that happened during the night the next morning, and I can close those, but can do nothing further with Mail at that point except Force Quit Mail, for it won't quit normally at that point, and re-launch Mail.

Disabling Growl fixed it all so it appears the problem is with Growl 1.1.4 and this system update 10.5.6 on my Mac.

Thanks for any help.

markhuss
Harmless

Re: Mail disruption with Growl

Postby markhuss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:19 pm

This is exactly what happens to me. Start writing a letter, everything freezes, then after about 60 seconds a notification comes through and all the clicks I made to get things working start activating. HUGELY frustrating but I can't live without growl... so I'm trying to figure out ways to just live with it until a fix is provided.

ponpilot
Harmless

Postby ponpilot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Unfortunately for me, I Am having to live without Growl for the time being, and unless a fix is forthcoming I'll have to abandon it completely. It was working fine before the update so I'm hoping they can make it work for me again somehow.

markhuss
Harmless

Postby markhuss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm

This topic was brought up before but I don't think it found resolve. I keep wondering why there weren't more posts about it.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 am

I use Mail in 10.5.6 with Growl every day, and I haven't experienced problems. Could you please post the crash log which you get in this situation?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

jawkdna
Harmless

Postby jawkdna » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 am

crash.log.zip
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
evands wrote:I use Mail in 10.5.6 with Growl every day, and I haven't experienced problems. Could you please post the crash log which you get in this situation?

After months of using Growl Mail with no problem, it started crapping out on my tonight...
CRASH LOG ATTACHED

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:51 pm

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'WebKitThreadingException', reason: 'NSData* -[WebArchive data](WebArchive*, objc_selector*) was called from a secondary thread'

I see. The WebKit included in 10.5.6 doesn't allow access from auxiliary threads... and our reading of an HTML-formatted message does exactly that, indirectly. I'm not sure what the fix will be yet, but the problem is clear. Thanks.
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

rickpoet
Harmless

Postby rickpoet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Posted about this in an earlier topic...Just removed Growl Mail and the problem went away.

For me Mail never crashed, just hung for a while and then the typing (or whatever I had done while it was frozen) would catch up.

nwi
Harmless

Postby nwi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi,

After using successfully growlmail 1.1.4 with 10.5.6 for months, it seems that Mail.app started to crash today, just after installing the Safari 4 beta available on http://www.apple.com.
Everytime I'm starting Mail.app, it crashes once it checks my IMAP mailbox, the workaround is to not enter the login password for the mailbox, then open the Mail.app preferences to disable growlmail, and you can then successfully check your mail without encountering any crash.

The crash reports the same signature:

Application Specific Information:
-[MailboxesController updateUnreadCountsForSequenceNumber:librarySequenceNumber:]
-[IMAPAccount _fetchUnreadCountsCheckForNewMessages:]
-[IMAPGateway _allowClientOperationThrough:]
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'WebKitThreadingException', reason: 'NSData* -[WebArchive data](WebArchive*, objc_selector*) was called from a secondary thread'

Hope there will be a fix soon.

Thanks

antah
Harmless

Postby antah » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 am

nwi wrote:Hi,

After using successfully growlmail 1.1.4 with 10.5.6 for months, it seems that Mail.app started to crash today, just after installing the Safari 4 beta available on http://www.apple.com.

Same here, but the problem is that I first turned off growl and then uninstalled it at all, but error still occurs. Any ideas how can I get rid of it for time being? Thank you beforehand, friends!

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm

antah wrote:
nwi wrote:After using successfully growlmail 1.1.4 with 10.5.6 for months, it seems that Mail.app started to crash today, just after installing the Safari 4 beta available on http://www.apple.com.

Same here, but the problem is that I first turned off growl and then uninstalled it at all, but error still occurs.

The problem is with GrowlMail, not Growl. Growl works fine under 10.5.6.

Workarounds include:

Return to “Growl”