UnFix Growl Script - HELP

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
shuffy
Harmless

UnFix Growl Script - HELP

Postby shuffy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:58 pm

when growl broke from safari 4.0 beta i sought out an alternative solution and found a script that i ran in the terminal as a workaround for the app. all it did when mail came in was display a notification that said "1 new message"...which does nothing as a workaround. now that growl is fixed i can't find how to uninstall the terminal command i entered. can anyone help me with this?

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: UnFix Growl Script - HELP

Postby boredzo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 pm

We need you to tell us more about the script: Name, what kind of script it is, and, ideally, a link to where you got it.

shuffy
Harmless

Postby shuffy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:19 pm

yeeeeeaaaahhhhhh...unfortunately i don't have that, sorry. i know it would help but i didn't think to save the link or input. is there another way to uninstall everything related?

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:26 pm

shuffy wrote:is there another way to uninstall everything related?

There's no way to know what's related without knowing at least what kind of script it is.

shuffy
Harmless

Postby shuffy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:49 pm

the script was supposed to allow growl to display messages like it normally should but it didn't work. all it displays is "1 new message". growl does work for IM messages though...does that help? if not can you steer me in the direction how to track it down? thanks, again.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:53 pm

No, that doesn't help identify it at all. In fact, since we all use GrowlMail, we've never seen it (certainly I never have), so any description of what it does will not help.

And I can't tell you where to look for it without knowing what kind of script it is. Some kinds of scripts can literally be anywhere.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Here are some places you might check:

• Your login items
  • Your crontab
  • Your Mail Bundles folders (there are two of them)
  • Home/Library/Scripts
  • A Spotlight advanced search (⌘F in the Finder): “Kind is Other: script”
  • The Launch Agents folder in the Library folder at the root level of your startup disk
  • The Launch Daemons folder in the Library folder at the root level of your startup disk

In decreasing order of likelihood. Also, stay away from the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons folders in the System Library.

shuffy
Harmless

Postby shuffy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:11 pm

hmmmm i tried all the places you told me to look but it all growl is still broken. good news is i think that i may have tracked down the command that i entered in the terminal. does this help?

defaults write com.apple.mail GMSummaryMode -int 2

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:40 pm

shuffy wrote:hmmmm i tried all the places you told me to look but it all growl is still broken. good news is i think that i may have tracked down the command that i entered in the terminal. does this help?

defaults write com.apple.mail GMSummaryMode -int 2

Ah! Yes, that does.

That's not a script; it sets a preference in Mail, telling GrowlMail to always use summary mode. It's the workaround for the GrowlMail/Safari 4 crash that GrowlMail 1.1.5 fixed.

The reason for the defaults command is that the crash happened more or less on launch for most people, so they didn't have time to go through Mail's Preferences window—Mail would have crashed before they arrived at the right place. With the crash fixed, you can revert the change through Mail's Preferences window.

The relevant setting is in GrowlMail's preference pane within Mail. Instructions to get there are in the FAQ.

shuffy
Harmless

Postby shuffy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:34 pm

i just wanted to follow up to say thank you very much for your help. you have successfully diagnosed the problem and it's now fixed...YOU & GROWL BOTH ROCK!!!

Return to “Growl”