Feature Request: Max number of notifications

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
MarkAllan
Harmless

Feature Request: Max number of notifications

Postby MarkAllan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 am

Hi, I'm requesting this as a user and as a developer.

Over the weekend, I was working on some code in which there is a message to put a growl notification on the user's screen. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a brain-fart and got my for-loop logic wrong, leaving the growl notification within the loop. The first handful of notifications showed up quite quickly and I realised what I had done, so I was able to stop my program from going too far...well, I thought I had. After about 10 seconds, my screen filled up with a few hundred notifications!

I realised it was my own stupid fault and didn't really think any more about it until I came into work this morning and had 46 emails - all of which Growl Mail decided to tell me about despite Mail.app being the frontmost (active) application.

It's not a huge problem to get rid of them (just hold down the option key and they all close at once) but it would be great to be able to set a maximum number of notifications to be on-screen at once, or alternatively, a maximum number of notifications per minute on a per application basis.

On a side note, could we have a preference option in Growl Mail which disables notifications if Mail.app is the active application please. I'm sure you know, but to save you looking, NSWorkspace provides the information via the -activeApplication message.
ClamXav - the free anti-virus checker for Mac OS X.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Feature Request: Max number of notifications

Postby boredzo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 am

MarkAllan wrote:… it would be great to be able to set a maximum number of notifications to be on-screen at once, or alternatively, a maximum number of notifications per minute on a per application basis.

Indeed. Filed.

On a side note, could we have a preference option in Growl Mail which disables notifications if Mail.app is the active application please.

Already in the bug tracker.

I'm sure you know, but to save you looking, NSWorkspace provides the information via the -activeApplication message.

Or we could just register for the relevant notifications from NSApplication.

Return to “Growl”