Growl Prefpane

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
photomandab
Harmless

Growl Prefpane

Postby photomandab » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 pm

At a bit of a loss here on my Mac OS X Leopard install of Growl. I installed some additional Growl styles this week (iphone mini or something like that) which seems to have been a mistake - as after I did this my Growl preference pane starting behaving badly first using an incorrect style when selected (index of list seemed to be 1 off) and now after several re-installs the Grow pref pane is crashing System Preferences altogether.

As I mentioned, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Growl multiple times and have tried the automatic uninstall (which prompts for me to locate various app files that I cannot locate) and manually by searching the drive for all growl files - but after every re-install it crashes the pref pane. Symptoms are pane opens OK, but then even without doing anything further after a few seconds it crashes and attempts to send an error report to Apple. It appears to crash immediately if I try to manually stop growl on the pref pane or check anything on the front page of the pref pane or change to the Applications or Display options tabs.

What I am after is some instructions on how to totally remove Growl from a Leopard machine manually so that when I re-install 1.1.6 it will be in a good state.

Growl still seems to be at least partially working (well at least GrowlMail is reporting new mails).

Can anybody help? Would appreciate it.

-David

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Growl Prefpane

Postby boredzo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 am

photomandab wrote:… my Growl preference pane starting behaving badly first using an incorrect style when selected (index of list seemed to be 1 off) …

Growl had an off-by-two error a couple of versions ago. Perhaps you were using an old version.

… and now after several re-installs the Grow pref pane is crashing System Preferences altogether.

Please attach the crash logs. (You'll need to zip them up.)

What I am after is some instructions on how to totally remove Growl from a Leopard machine manually so that when I re-install 1.1.6 it will be in a good state.

Look in these folders:

•  Your Home folder
    • Library
      • PreferencePanes
  • Your startup disk
    • Library
      • PreferencePanes

If you find Growl.prefPane in either or both folders, move it to the Trash. Then, assuming you have nothing else in the Trash, empty the Trash.

Growl still seems to be at least partially working (well at least GrowlMail is reporting new mails).

Then you won't be able to completely empty the Trash right away, because GrowlHelperApp (which is inside Growl.prefPane) is running. Don't worry about that; after you install Growl 1.1.6, click “Stop Growl” and then “Start Growl” in that prefpane, and then you'll be able to delete the old one.

photomandab
Harmless

Re: Growl Prefpane

Postby photomandab » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
After installing Snow Leopard today the Growl pref pane has stopped crashing altogether - so I am now a happy man.
Keeping an eye on things, but no real idea why it was crashing before.

-DAB

Return to “Growl”