10.6.1 breaks GrowlMail

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
switters
Harmless

10.6.1 breaks GrowlMail

Postby switters » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 am

I'm not sure what 10.6.1 did to Mail, but after I updated I tried opening Mail and I received a message informing me that GrowlMail had been disabled.

mmclure
Harmless

Re: 10.6.1 breaks GrowlMail

Postby mmclure » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:12 am

Same issue here. GrowlMail has been disabled since the 10.6.1 update.

switters
Harmless

Postby switters » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 am

I had a similar problem with the Letterbox plugin for Mail. Changing to the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs in the plist file solved the problem. Not sure if that would work in this case.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:19 am

switters wrote:I had a similar problem with the Letterbox plugin for Mail. Changing to the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs in the plist file solved the problem. Not sure if that would work in this case.

Yup. That fix will be in 1.2b3, just as soon as I can bend Installer to my will.

MarkAllan
Harmless

Postby MarkAllan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:22 am

boredzo wrote:
switters wrote:I had a similar problem with the Letterbox plugin for Mail. Changing to the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs in the plist file solved the problem. Not sure if that would work in this case.

Yup. That fix will be in 1.2b3, just as soon as I can bend Installer to my will.

I've just tried this and it didn't work for me. Maybe I put the wrong thing in the wrong place but I don't think so - it's a fairly simple process isn't it?

I opened the /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Info.plist and copied the value for the key PluginCompatibilityUUID. I then pasted that value into the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs array in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist. I tried inserting it in various positions beside the two values already in that array, and also tried it as the only element in the array. Each time when I start Mail, I still get the same error telling me GrowlMail has been disabled.
ClamXav - the free anti-virus checker for Mac OS X.

MarkAllan
Harmless

Postby MarkAllan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:33 am

Ahh, never mind - I figured it out. For anyone else here who wants to know, you also need to grab the UUID from /System/Library/Frameworks/Message.framework/Resources/Info.plist as well as the Info.plist from Mail.app

gs-dk
Harmless

Postby gs-dk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 am

Hi
Would you be so kind to tell a little more how to do this. I know my way around a Mac, but I am not sure how to do this.

"I opened the /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Info.plist and copied the value for the key PluginCompatibilityUUID. I then pasted that value into the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs array in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist"

Thanks for any help!

MarkAllan
Harmless

Postby MarkAllan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am

gs-dk wrote:Hi
Would you be so kind to tell a little more how to do this. I know my way around a Mac, but I am not sure how to do this.

The simplest way is probably this:
The first thing you're going to need to do is quit Mail.
Then you have to reinstall GrowlMail from the growl beta install image.
Then, open Terminal (you'll find it in Applications -> Utilities).
Hit the 'Select All' link below, and then copy and paste each of the following lines in turn into the terminal window, hitting return after each of them. Don't try to type them out or it is unlikely to work!

Code: Select all

ls /Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist && defaults write /Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs -array-add "99BB3782-6C16-4C6F-B910-25ED1C1CB38B"

ls /Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist && defaults write /Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs -array-add "2610F061-32C6-4C6B-B90A-7A3102F9B9C8"

If either/both of those commands give you an error saying something like "No such file or directory", use the following two commands instead

ls ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist && defaults write ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs -array-add "99BB3782-6C16-4C6F-B910-25ED1C1CB38B"

ls ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info.plist && defaults write ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/Contents/Info SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs -array-add "2610F061-32C6-4C6B-B90A-7A3102F9B9C8"

Note, this will only work for 10.6.1 - any subsequent updates, you'll need to get the appropriate UUIDs from the files mentioned in my previous posts to put inside the quotation marks.

If this still doesn't work, you'd probably be best just to wait for a new beta release.

gs-dk
Harmless

Postby gs-dk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am

You made my day! Thanks a LOT for taking your time! The first solution did it.....

verdonv
Harmless

Postby verdonv » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm

gs-dk wrote:You made my day! Thanks a LOT for taking your time! The first solution did it.....

Me too. Thank you very much!

switters
Harmless

Postby switters » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm

Another thanks to MarkAllan. GrowlMail is back!

rudy
Growl Team

Postby rudy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Growl 1.2b3 is now out, the instructions in this thread are no longer needed.
C4 & Demolitions Expert / Ambrosia Software, Inc. / http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

Return to “Growl”