Notifications for iPhone sync: HardwareGrowler or GrowlTunes

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
randyandy
Harmless

Notifications for iPhone sync: HardwareGrowler or GrowlTunes

Postby randyandy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:26 pm

I really appreciate HardwareGrowler for various notifications, including iSync notifications.

Unfortunately Apple chose to use iTunes to sync the iPhone, unlike other phones with iSync.
I would really appreciate still getting a notification when a sync operation ends concerning the iPhone.

Would it be possible to add "Start/End of sync" notifications for iPhone/iPod in HardwareGrowler or GrowlTunes
(Don't know which is the best: HardwareGrowler would be homogeneous with other hardwares,
but iPhones are handled with iTunes...)

Is there a "wishlist" for both this tools to add this suggestion to?
Thank you very much if this idea is integrated, or if you have any better idea.

rudy
Growl Team

Re: Notifications for iPhone sync: HardwareGrowler or GrowlTunes

Postby rudy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:04 pm

It would be neither HardwareGrowler nor GrowlTunes.

In order to acquire the start and stop sync signals this would have to be done in the as yet unfinished GrowlTunesPlugin iTunes plugin. That is to say that it is possible to do, I will file it as an enhancement request against GrowlTunesPlugin.
C4 & Demolitions Expert / Ambrosia Software, Inc. / http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

randyandy
Harmless

Postby randyandy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:53 pm

rudy wrote:this would have to be done in the as yet unfinished GrowlTunesPlugin iTunes plugin.
[...] I will file it as an enhancement request against GrowlTunesPlugin.

OK. I was not aware of this new GrowlTunesPlugin (that will replace GrowlTunes?)
Thank you very much for adding this feature to the wishlist ;-)

rudy
Growl Team

Postby rudy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:46 pm

The intention is to replace GrowlTunes with an iTunes plugin that does the same functionality as GrowlTunes.app but from a plugin, and with more functionality (iPhone sync start/completion, possibly download completion)

I wrote the original implementation back in 2005 as an example of how to use the Carbon api from a plugin, but have since rewritten the guts of it in Cocoa. It currently lets you configure the format of the notification title and body in the options window, as well as allowing you to trigger a growl notification (a song just started and you missed the notification, hotkey comes in handy for that). I don't currently have the art plugins wired up, but i'm not sure how critical those are with the ability to have iTunes download artwork.

-rudy
C4 & Demolitions Expert / Ambrosia Software, Inc. / http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

Return to “Growl”