Feature Request:

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
wayland1985
Harmless

Feature Request:

Postby wayland1985 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:38 pm

I'm new to the Mac world, and very new to adium (2 weeks). I love it, but I'd like to make a few suggestions for the next version, if possible:

1: Is there any way to have a feature that shows the iTunes song you're listening to posted in your profile? I know there are add ins for transferring your current song, but I just want the currently playing song to be shown... It'd be a cool feature...

2: I love adium, but there's one feature I'd love to see, as seen in iChat: When you receive a new message in ichat, you get a cool small window, which will stack, whenever somebody different leaves you a message... If you click on the window, it will expand into the normal window... I realize that adium is a tabbed interface, but it'd be cool to mimic this somehow... For example, if the chat window isn't opened, and you receive a message, you'll get the mini-window.

3: Status Option: is there a way to have a feature that will automatically take you away from the away status when you type a message to a friend??? I don't know how many times I've forgotten this!

4: Status window: This is more of a bug fix, I think. There's the away status box that you can opt to have turn on when you go away... But after selecting the feature, it will only appear about 5 times, and the feature will disable... Is there a way to keep this feature locked on?

5: another bug, font?: i've noticed this problem with iChat too. The default font I select in preferences never works!!! instead, i have to type my message, highlight, go to the font menu, then choose that font... If i want that font to TEMPORARILY stay, I will then need to copy and paste my message, after it has been sent, into the text box. At this point, it will remember my font for a few hours, then it will go back to a default font... Which is much better than ichat, which wont even do that much...

Again, I don't know if this is the place to post the requests, since i'm new... But i think adium will be just that much better with at least the first two reccomendations!

szilard
Latté

Postby szilard » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Can only help you with the first one, just go Edit > Insert Script and add whatever you want from the iTunes - Now Playing scripts.

Zeremus X
Crema

Postby Zeremus X » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Yeah just ask around or AIM people for questions if you think that they are really dumb. People here are helpfull so here goes. You can go into preferences and go to messages then select a font there and it will use that one. I'm preety sure in some cases that the font you choose is only vidible by the user. (your buddy will always see the same default font even if you change it) You can have a floating window that will appear when you are away if you want its in the preferences under status I think. Just take a look around the preferences and mess around with stuff you can learn a lot by trying. :D There is no iChat feature like you said but you can put in a suggestion at a link that I know Kirk knows but I forgot. Good luck! :P

Githon
Frappa

Re: Feature Request:

Postby Githon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 pm

wayland1985 wrote:When you receive a new message in ichat, you get a cool small window, which will stack, whenever somebody different leaves you a message... If you click on the window, it will expand into the normal window... I realize that adium is a tabbed interface, but it'd be cool to mimic this somehow... For example, if the chat window isn't opened, and you receive a message, you'll get the mini-window.

Try using Growl ([url]growl.info[/url], that might give you something like you're looking for.

wayland1985 wrote:Status Option: is there a way to have a feature that will automatically take you away from the away status when you type a message to a friend??? I don't know how many times I've forgotten this!

Most people like remaining Away until they hit the Return button, since they may only be back for a minute, and all sorts of people get unreasonably upset if they know someone is there and is not talking to them.

Maybe you should just put your Status window over the text entry field so that when you go to type there's a big box in the way.

wayland1985
Harmless

Postby wayland1985 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:17 pm

How do the scripts work... It only shows up as /music.... (that's the script i use)

Ethion
Crema

Postby Ethion » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:33 pm

wayland1985 wrote:How do the scripts work... It only shows up as /music.... (that's the script i use)

They are using something called Applescript, which is something Apple have been doing since ever on almost every OS.

But you write in the script you want and press enter. And you will see a message popping up in the message window saying which song you are listening too to the other user. There is also a few others, just look in the scripts menu and you will see a bunch, which you can select and press enter or just write it in and press enter.

if you want more scripts go to http://www.adiumxtras.com/ and download Message styles, Contact lists, scripts and much more!

wayland1985
Harmless

Postby wayland1985 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:38 pm

So, this script wont work in my profile, right?

It only works when I send a message???

revolution
Crema

Postby revolution » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:58 pm

correct.

It will work as a status message or in your name, ie what everyone sees u as when u log on.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:05 am

Scripts work fine in profiles.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

wayland1985
Harmless

Postby wayland1985 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:16 am

I can't seem to get them to work in the profile though....

it appears as simply /music when I look up my own info, or when i look it up on a windows PC under AIM...

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:26 am

wayland1985 wrote:I can't seem to get them to work in the profile though....

it appears as simply /music when I look up my own info, or when i look it up on a windows PC under AIM...

Use %_artist, %_track, etc., in profiles.

Adam Iser
Crema

Postby Adam Iser » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:31 am

The / scripts only work when placed at the beginning of a line. How you're supposed to know that? *shrug* no clue :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm

Maybe we should only have one way to use scripts?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:57 pm

I'd be fine with forcing all scripts to have keywords beginning with %_ -- most conform to that already, anyways.
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:31 pm

evands wrote:I'd be fine with forcing all scripts to have keywords beginning with %_ -- most conform to that already, anyways.

Ya, we should do it then.

Reikon

Postby Reikon » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:13 pm

I prefer having two ways to make scripts. I see / as a script that has prefix only enabled, and %_ as a filter script.

For example, for a time script:

Yeah, it's %_time

Would become:

Yeah it's 3:00 PM

Whereas a script starting with / would have to return a line on it's own, as opposed to being filtered.

/time

Would become

It is 3:00 PM

Having / is nice, as it seems to be a standard in most chat clients that lines beginning with / are commands. IRC, is a good example.

Just my opinion. (sorry for ressurecting an old thread, just saw a link to it on an Xtra)

Githon
Frappa

Postby Githon » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:06 pm

I think the problem with /script is that if you have enough scripts, it's entirely possible you will set one off while using a slash as legitimate english in your sentence. Unless it won't trigger if there's something preceding the slash other than a space, but still.

Reikon

Postby Reikon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:52 am

Githon wrote:I think the problem with /script is that if you have enough scripts, it's entirely possible you will set one off while using a slash as legitimate english in your sentence. Unless it won't trigger if there's something preceding the slash other than a space, but still.

It won't. There is a tag in the Info.plist file that you specify prefix only, meaning it must be at the beginning of the sentence. So, "go to http://scripting.com" won't execute "/script".

biglittledragoon
Crema

Postby biglittledragoon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:58 am

evands wrote:I'd be fine with forcing all scripts to have keywords beginning with %_ -- most conform to that already, anyways.

Ohhhh, really?

Now, I do! :P

PS:
Reikon wrote:(sorry for ressurecting an old thread, just saw a link to it on an Xtra)

It's me..... :?
Knowledge MUST be shared!
La Connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée!

My X(tras)
Image The French Team on Twitter

Return to “Adium”