Time to mark read

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.

Time to mark read

Postby carmenm » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 am

Hi,

First i am using a RSS reader only for a short time and so i have been trying a lot of software and Vienna is just the best one and keep getting better. So thank you to all dev.

Yet something is quite annoying me, when you select an unread item in the list, there is a time before it become "read". For me this time is far too long. Let me explain why. At work i develop under Linux and windaube so i dont have Vienna :sad:. So when i come back home there is a lot of messages i already read under vienna. So i go through the list with the down key but by doing so messages dont go "read" because i go too fast. So my question is would it be possible to put the time to mark articles read in the pref panel?(as i think a lot of people like it the way it is...)
carmenm
Harmless

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:15 pm

The delay is by design so that people can move quickly through the list without marking articles read.:)

The default delay is 0.5 seconds. You can change this right now by quitting Vienna, opening Terminal in the folder /Applications/Utilities, and entering the following:
Code: Select all
defaults write uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2 MarkReadInterval 0.001

Substitute whatever small number you like for 0.001, but don't use 0.0, because then the articles won't get marked read.
jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby carmenm » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Wow :grin:
That was a fast answer.... Thank you very much!!!
carmenm
Harmless

Postby David Pyle » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:41 pm

You could also just key <shift command k> to mark all read, at least on a Mac.
David Pyle
Harmless

Postby soj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Or just press "k". Gotta love those single-key shortcuts!
soj
Muffin

Postby shep.mckee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:The delay is by design so that people can move quickly through the list without marking articles read.:)

Jeff - I'm aware that you are trying to keep options/preferences to a minimum (and THANK YOU for that), but I was wondering if this is one you might consider as an option.

It's obvious that there are several different usage patterns for an RSS reader. Some prefer a shorter delay, others prefer a longer delay (me for instance :grin: ) as I often delete articles (read or unread), which has the undesired effect of marking the next article read - even when it's not.

For now - knowing how to change the default delay is enough, but I wanted to throw this feature request out for discussion.
shep.mckee
Harmless

Return to Vienna