Move a contact

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Trillian
Harmless

Move a contact

Postby Trillian » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:51 pm

Hello,

I'm having a bit trouble with Adium and couldn't find anything about it in this forum, so I'll just ask.

When I try to move a contact to a different group (by dragging it there), I get an error message, something like "unable to add - most common problem: your contact list is already full".
I think I did not have this problem all of the time - it just started some day when I tried to move a contact into the right group.
After this the contact is completely deleted from my list and I have to add and ask for authorization again.

I'd be very pleased if anyone could help me with this.
Thanks and greetings,

Trillian

Trillian
Harmless

Postby Trillian » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm

Hmm, no idea anyone?

Vadim
Harmless

Postby Vadim » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:12 pm

i have same trouble.
And lost many contacts....

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:52 pm

hmm did you guys use the following method to move your contacts?

Ctrl+click on contact > get info > accounts > in group (choose which group you would like the buddy to be in

Vadim
Harmless

Postby Vadim » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:07 pm

yes! i move my contact with 2 different way: simple drag & drop from one group to other. And from get info. With same result.
May be this because my group have Russian name?

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 pm

hrmmm weird. uhm I would say file a ticket on trac, but trac is broken atm. Anyone else here know a fix or why this happens?

r.kint
Harmless

Postby r.kint » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 pm

i dont know why this happens, but i have the same problem. and i am unable to add for the same reason :(

skoo
Muffin

Postby skoo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Is this with a Yahoo account by chance? I've had trouble with them in the past, even on the official client, when it came to moving contacts.

I eventually ditched my old account for a new one because of this issue.

I've also noted that it helps to have your lists on the official clients (Yahoo/iChat/etc) mirror what you want on your Adium list.

r.kint
Harmless

Postby r.kint » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:04 pm

I am on ICQ, MSN and AIM. I think I had the problems only with ICQ, but that's also the only messenger I have many contacts in...

skoo wrote:I've also noted that it helps to have your lists on the official clients (Yahoo/iChat/etc) mirror what you want on your Adium list.

I do not understand what you are saying here.

skoo
Muffin

Postby skoo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:11 pm

r.kint wrote:I am on ICQ, MSN and AIM. I think I had the problems only with ICQ, but that's also the only messenger I have many contacts in...

skoo wrote:I've also noted that it helps to have your lists on the official clients (Yahoo/iChat/etc) mirror what you want on your Adium list.

I do not understand what you are saying here.

basically, it helps to have your contacts on each client in the same group that you would want them in on Adium. For example, if ContactX on AIM is in your Local Friends group, that contact will show up in your Local Friends group on Adium. Adium will import your contact list settings for each account you access on Adium.

Adium for the most part will edit your groups and contacts for each client when you move people around or add groups, but in the case it doesn't, check the official client and do your moving there. That way, they should appear in the group you want them in on Adium.

Hope that makes sense. :???:

r.kint
Harmless

Postby r.kint » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:50 pm

thanks for your extensive explanation.

as icq for mac does not support groups, i'll probably have to wait till Adium has this problem sorted out...

Trillian
Harmless

Postby Trillian » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:43 am

skoo wrote:
Adium for the most part will edit your groups and contacts for each client when you move people around or add groups, but in the case it doesn't, check the official client and do your moving there. That way, they should appear in the group you want them in on Adium.

Hope that makes sense. :???:

I tried this before, but there was the same problem. It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm pretty lost here - especially because everything worked perfectly in the beginning.

All I can do now is hope that maybe someday this will be fixed, but it's really annoying.

Return to “Adium”