New "Send Later" idea

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ElBob
Harmless

New "Send Later" idea

Post by ElBob »

I was thinking about what is probably my most used feature of Adium, and I realized that when I set a message to be sent later, there isn't really any indication that I have a message waiting to be sent, nor is there a simple way to delete it. Well, after some thinking, I decided that it would probably look cool if the message showed up in the chat log, but in a grey box instead of whatever the default for your theme is, with a little X where the timestamp usually is.

I photoshopped this mockup of what my idea might look like for the Mockie theme, tell me what you think!

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Catfish_Man »

I like it. I bet I can figure out how to implement it as well... just a matter of finding time.
TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Post by TheSilverFox06 »

The only issue I can think of would be integrating it into already existing message styles, considering all the different coloring schemes and such.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

We already have an inline button for file transfer, so if we had it inlined with that style of button it wouldn't be so bad.

Something like:

Maybe?
ElBob
Harmless

Post by ElBob »

Maybe it could be done in a way such that if a theme defines a specific way to handle this function it will be used, otherwise an inline button will be. I'll sleep on it and come up with a photoshop tomorrow.
Sean
Latté

Post by Sean »

That's a cool idea though I think it needs some kind of text description too like (Will be sent later).
Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Catfish_Man »

ElBob wrote:Maybe it could be done in a way such that if a theme defines a specific way to handle this function it will be used, otherwise an inline button will be. I'll sleep on it and come up with a photoshop tomorrow.

This is how file transfer is handled, although I don't know of any styles providing custom file transfer html right now.
John Don
Frappa

Post by John Don »

This is a really cool idea I'd love to see implemented. I really like how the little "x" icon is there too, in case one wants to cancel the "send later".
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

I think that all messages sent after the contact has signed up should automatically go like the one in the screenshot. There should also be another circle next to the cancel circle that has a straight arrow in it that forces the message to be sent on click.

There should be a way to distinguish the unsent messages from the sent ones. Either a different colour style(hard for all the different themes to convert), or a break in the message window where it says: The following messages are waiting to be sent. Followed by all the unsent (in normal message style) messages, and all forced messages should automatically be moved above the unsent line.

Quick addition to the original photoshop to show my ideas:
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

I think these buttons are much too small for users to notice them in a meaningful way. :)
ElBob
Harmless

Post by ElBob »

I like the idea for a button to force send the message, it consolidates all your options. Here are the photoshops I promised;

Here is a second version of the original, a bit cleaned up, and with some identifier text added and the "Send Now" button:

Here is a version without a special theme:

And here is a version with an inline button, I don't really like how it looks, but I figured I would post it anyways:

xSpikex
Latté

Post by xSpikex »

hmmm I really like this idea! that would be a nice feature.
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

it would also be cool if there was an unsent messages window that consolidates all of these.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Another thought, why are you folks focusing on keeping the button on the right?
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

The_Tick wrote:Another thought, why are you folks focusing on keeping the button on the right?

what is the alternative?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

yelly wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Another thought, why are you folks focusing on keeping the button on the right?

what is the alternative?

Not focusing on the right side of the window...
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

The_Tick wrote:
yelly wrote:

what is the alternative?

well, were else could it go without looking silly?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

yelly wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
yelly wrote:

what is the alternative?

well, were else could it go without looking silly?

Have you seen the inline file transfer ui in the betas?
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

But the way how i see this, you can have multiple messages queued up to be sent, which would make using the inline file transfer method huge.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

I'm not seeing the button on the right being more usable than the sheet which explains things and has the options needed.