from Fire to Adium

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
tiloprobst
Harmless

from Fire to Adium

Postby tiloprobst » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:55 am

Hi,

I guess I am not the first one to ask, but forum search as well as this "trac" thing (unusable imho, sry) don't help.

ok, I am using Fire 1.5.6 currently.
I'd like to use Adium on my new Mac now. I have thousands of chat sessions in my Library. those have .session2 or .xhtml as their ending.

now how I get those into Adium? those are very important for me, since they are reaching back to Octobre 2003. here on the forums I red about some migration tool thaat would start when Adium launches the first time, but it didn't happen. in addition to those logs I'd like to make sure that the settings for my groups and buddies (approx. 90) are transferred properly.

how can I accomplish all this?
thanks in advance :)
Last edited by tiloprobst on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 am

Adium 1.0 will have the capability to import Fire settings and logs.

tiloprobst
Harmless

Postby tiloprobst » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 pm

ok, but Adium 1.0 is beta isn't it? I can't wait until it's final. does the importing of .xhtml/.session2 Fire protocols already work?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:26 pm

I believe so; haven't tried it myself.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Since I wrote the importer code, I will weigh in here.

Adium 1.0 has this ability. All the betas also have this ability. Currently, it:
    Imports all accounts
    Imports Away Messages
    Imports Groups
    Imports Buddies inside each Group and their Aliases
    Forms Meta-Contacts using the same method Fire used
    Finally, imports log files

The .session and .session2 files are simply copied with the appropriate extensions since Adium 1.0 can read and format them correctly without modification.
The .xhtml files are translated into the XML structure used by Adium 1.0. This is the longest part of the import.

This is executed on the first run only. Perhaps we need to look into some method by which the user can force this import even if it is not their first run.

tiloprobst
Harmless

Postby tiloprobst » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 pm

first, thanks for this reply. the thing is, I just installed and startet v1.0 b17 for the first time.

I set my ICQ accout as asked but there was no importing of old log files. I also don't find this in the menu.

as mentioned before, I've got a new mac and my old logs are on my old mac. my old hard disk is there via AFP. can I direct Adium to import those?

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:42 am

tiloprobst wrote:as mentioned before, I've got a new mac and my old logs are on my old mac. my old hard disk is there via AFP. can I direct Adium to import those?

I missed that part, sorry. You need to copy the "Library/Application Support/Fire" directory in your home directory from your old computer for adium to detect that you have used fire before. All your logs and settings are in this directory, so this is all you need.

You may need to delete "Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0" in order to see adium's wizard again. Be warned, all of adium's settings and logs are in there.

tiloprobst
Harmless

Postby tiloprobst » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:16 am

ok, I already thought it would work that way.

did that and worked. my groups are there and some 6000+ chat logs. better display of those, thanks for this one to whoever coded it.

there are a few problems .. I guess Fire saved my custom Buddy names instead of the "real" ICQ ones. a lot of my Buddies are now displayed with their nicknames instead of the real names that I forced in manually. that's ok and I will get used to it.

one thing is not so good: a lot of Buddies are displayed as numbers instead of names. is there some way to force Adium to look up their nicknames? it's the same with the chat log browser, numbers only, no names.

something else: Fire had put all offline buddies into one offline group making it easy to shrink them away. is there something similar in Adium?

EDIT:
that's kinda weird, I did a test chat, then came some short melody twice and all numbers are replaced with names.

EDIT2:
ok, find offline group myself :)

btw I like it how the interface can be changed, but where can I set the font size of the buddy list?

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:08 am

Glad to see you got it working, and...
Your welcome (I wrote that code).

tiloprobst wrote:btw I like it how the interface can be changed, but where can I set the font size of the buddy list?

Prefs -> Appearance -> Customize button next to list layout.

Strilo
Muffin

Postby Strilo » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:06 am

Hey speaking of Fire and Adium, the one feature from Fire that I really miss (so far) is the ability to use each individual service's smileys. Can that be added to Adium? I currently use the 1.0b17.

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:11 am

Strilo wrote:Hey speaking of Fire and Adium, the one feature from Fire that I really miss (so far) is the ability to use each individual service's smileys. Can that be added to Adium? I currently use the 1.0b17.

IIRC this already happens if you select them in the smiley part of the preferences.

Strilo
Muffin

Postby Strilo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:45 am

No, you can only choose to use one set of Emoticons for all windows and services. Unless I am missing a preferences pane somewhere.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:31 pm

You're both kind of off.

We don't allow a emoticon set to bind to a specific service. This is something that we've had requested from a few folks, but in general we've been attempting to make it so that the user shouldn't have to care about the service they are on, and this is part of why it's not an option.

What m2e is actually referring to is the fact that you can specific specific parts of a emoticon pack. Go into prefs/appearance and then hit the customize button next to emoticons drop down and you can customize things.

Strilo
Muffin

Postby Strilo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 am

The_Tick wrote:in general we've been attempting to make it so that the user shouldn't have to care about the service they are on, and this is part of why it's not an option.

Yes that's lovely but what about the other user? The reason that Fire's ability to use each services smilies was good is because then what both the sender and receiver see are the same.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Strilo wrote:
The_Tick wrote:in general we've been attempting to make it so that the user shouldn't have to care about the service they are on, and this is part of why it's not an option.

Yes that's lovely but what about the other user? The reason that Fire's ability to use each services smilies was good is because then what both the sender and receiver see are the same.

If you enable the service's smileys you want (Prefs->Appearance->Emoticons Customize) Adium will preferentially use the service-specific smilies for you, just as you want.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Strilo
Muffin

Postby Strilo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Yeah I went ahead and activated that preference and am currently trying it out to see what I think. Thanks for the tips!

Return to “Adium”