Blocking doesn't have any effect

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Lumio
Harmless

Blocking doesn't have any effect

Post by Lumio »

Hello!
Long time ago, I wrote a message that Adium 0.8 can't block contacts.
Now it's the same with Adium 1.1
I blocked an ICQ in my AIM-Account but I still get messages.
Arisa0
Harmless

Post by Arisa0 »

I also cannot block contacts -- they show up as blocked, but they're still able to see when I'm online and contact me.

I'm attempting to block AIM accounts with my AIM account.
louisquatorze
Harmless

Post by louisquatorze »

I as well- it's becoming really, really annoying. I block people for a reason.
Let's have a lengthy discussion about FEELINGS.
Lumio
Harmless

Post by Lumio »

me too
Arisa0
Harmless

Post by Arisa0 »

It'd really be lovely if someone would bother to address this, too.

As with Louis -- I block people for a reason. I'd like them to -stay- blocked.
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

Arisa0 wrote:It'd really be lovely if someone would bother to address this, too.
An accusatory tone and chorus effect do not typically engender responses.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

Specific information also helps, i.e., what service is not blocking, how was this determined, what versions, and lots of other information can aid in solving a problem.
Try my software!

Arisa0
Harmless

Post by Arisa0 »

bgannin wrote:An accusatory tone and chorus effect do not typically engender responses.
Frustration certainly; but not accusation. I'm sorry you read that into my post. ^_^;; I'm sorry it took a misinterpretation of my sentiment to garner a response for those of us with this issue, too. :(

I also apologize for the 'chorus effect,' I didn't know I wasn't allowed to agree with another user. Sorry, mild & friendly sarcasm; but nothing more than that I promise. :D

I really am cheerful, chipper, and friendly, and I'm not trying to provoke. I'll try more emotes and smilies to keep my post tone from being confusing -- no sarcasm here, I'm trying to be honest and upbeat.
Specific information also helps, i.e., what service is not blocking, how was this determined, what versions, and lots of other information can aid in solving a problem.
As I'd already stated, I'm attempting to block an AIM screen name, one that is contacting my own AIM service screen name. (The OP stated that he's blocking an ICQ account with his AIM name, btw.) ^_^

It has been determined, at least for me, in that I right-click a name, choose to block a user, and then they're able to see when I'm online and contact me. Their messages still pop up, they can still see when I'm typing, and they can see whether or not I go idle. Their little icon on the tab even shows up as a red X, showing that they're supposedly being blocked. >_<

My version is 1.0.2. (The OP stated that he's using 1.1) :D

The lots of other information you'll have to specify, since I could just start listing off things, but I dunno how helpful they'd be. :3

I do really appreciate help and advise on this, I personally would have no idea where to even start in creating or maintaining a program such as this. Thanks for your time and consideration!
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

A more general question:

So far it seems that the blocking failures noted are all AIM-related. Is blocking working well for other services?

And an addendum / silly question:

There aren't multiple accounts present are there? (i.e., 2 AIM accounts the person[s] might be on, or part of combined meta-contacts that did not fully block?)

(Arisa0, thank you for the excellent summation, I think "bother" just tapped me the wrong way... my apologies for over-dramatization :))
Try my software!

Arisa0
Harmless

Post by Arisa0 »

At least for me, no. I can't successfully block any other service I connect to: Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, or Gmail. I don't have a .Mac account to test that, nor do I have any way to get on a network to test the iChat blocking; so I can't say anything there. ><

I can still block users when I use the actual AIM, ICQ, or Yahoo clients however. I don't know about Gmail, I don't have the client proper if there is one. ^^; I can also still block Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, and AIM from my phone's client, MunduIM.

No worries, I didn't mean to upset or offend. As I said I was just frustrated, but I should have thought more about how my post could've been interpreted.
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

Cheers and happiness to us all :)

That said, time for more investigative questions. Is Adium respecting blocking settings after they set via official clients like AIM and only dropping the ball when it comes to setting it itself?
Try my software!

Zeremus X
Crema

Post by Zeremus X »

While this doesn't solve the problem with Adium you could try connecting with the official client and then blocking them. That should keep them blocked, even when you use Adium. :smile:
louisquatorze
Harmless

Post by louisquatorze »

As for me...

I've only tried blocking people through AIM, because that's all I've needed. The privacy settings say that this particular person I'm blocking is blocked in all of my AIM accounts, but I can still see him, he can still contact me, etc. I'm running 1.0.2. I've only tried setting it up through Adium because that's all I use on a regular basis.

You need anything else?
Let's have a lengthy discussion about FEELINGS.
duklaa
Muffin

Post by duklaa »

bgannin wrote:Is Adium respecting blocking settings after they set via official clients like AIM and only dropping the ball when it comes to setting it itself?
Yes, Adium respects blocks made from the official clients. But it does not respect people blocked from within Adium. My experience is with Yahoo and ICQ. I had to use the official clients to _enforce_ the block.
Arisa0
Harmless

Post by Arisa0 »

It seems to be respecting blocks placed by the official clients on my end, too. It also seems to respect blocks placed by my phone's client, MunduIM.

Sorry for the late response as well, busy week. ><
SilverElf
Harmless

Post by SilverElf »

I am using Adium 1.0.2 and can't seem to get the Yahoo presence settings to work. This feature worked in v. 1.0 but since the update, no longer seems to function. I don't think I am having trouble with blocking with the other services.
jtinaustralia
Harmless

Post by jtinaustralia »

I'm having blocking problems with Adium 1.0.2 on MSN protocol. If I block, the blocking seems to take 60 seconds or longer to come into effect, and there have been times when blocked contacts have re-contacted me, although I can't seem to replicate this.

Specifically with MSN, if a contact exists on both my MSN accounts, and I block them on Adium, they can still see me online.

So, for example, person A is on blue_list and yellow_list, because I accidentally added them to both. If I then block them, they can't see my yellow_list account but for them, blue_list is still online.

Finally, the official MSN client gives an option to "Also Block this Contact" when you delete. In Adium, if you delete a blocked contact, you suddenly come back online for them.

Altogether I've never been able to trust MSN blocking in Adium (a program that I deeply love and respect), because it has these little idiosyncracies.
Carnivean
Harmless

Post by Carnivean »

I thought that I would give this thread a bump.

I am using Adium 1.0.3, and I now cannot block AIM or MSN users via this version of Adium (I have not needed to try to do so yet with either Yahoo or ICQ). Persons whom I have blocked from within Adium still see me online and are able to contact me.

I am trying to block AIM and MSN screen names from contacting my respective names on those services.

Whether I right-click a name in my "friends" list to block the user, or do so using the drop-down menu under "Contact" to block the person while the IM window is open, it still seems to have no effect. As in the case of Arisa0, below, I even see the red "x" in the bottom-left-hand corner of the IM window, indicating that the persons are supposed to be blocked, but they are still able to contact me.

I do not believe that there are multiple accounts that the others may be using, but if they have the same screen name for both, then it would be difficult to tell.

I have tried blocking people via the official clients, and I shall see whether that works.

In the past, Adium has been generally reliable for me in blocking others, so I hope that this information helps to resolve the problem.