moving contacts around

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
mce323

moving contacts around

Post by mce323 »

I know, stupid question, but I'm both new to adium and new to macs ... I have an AIM screenname that I'd like to discontinue and have thus started a new one, am running both right now, how do I associate all my old contacts with the new ID so I can turn off the old one ... ?

help! thanks
aptenergy
Frappa

Re: moving contacts around

Post by aptenergy »

mce323 wrote:I know, stupid question, but I'm both new to adium and new to macs ... I have an AIM screenname that I'd like to discontinue and have thus started a new one, am running both right now, how do I associate all my old contacts with the new ID so I can turn off the old one ... ?

help! thanks
In this case, Adium probably can't do what you're looking for. You'll need the official AIM client, which you can get from AOL directly. Download that, log in as your old screen name, and export your buddy list. Log off, log in as your new screen name, and import your buddy list. (Wait a few seconds to give the list time to stick.) Then, when you start up Adium, Adium should recognize the new contact list.
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

Adium currently does not have these capabilities, so what mce323 said is the right way to do so.
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!
mce323

Post by mce323 »

there's another problem, I've been trying to download the aim 4.7 install file from aim.com, and I get a file called "aim.bin" that when I dbl-click just says something about the ADP or AGP graphic file being a problem ... huh?
aptenergy
Frappa

Post by aptenergy »

Ah, that's because the old AIM 4.7 is downloaded as file type ".bin". To transform the .bin file into an application, you'll need Stuffit Expander, a decompression program for the Mac that's been around forever:

(direct download link)
http://www.stuffit.com/downloads/files/ ... 1.0.2E.dmg

Get Stuffit Expander and use it to open the .bin file.
mce323

Post by mce323 »

ok got it installed and my list exported, how do I import it into adium?
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

mce323 wrote:ok got it installed and my list exported, how do I import it into adium?
Just follow these directions: log into you old account in the official AIM client. Then export your contact list. Sign off your old account in the official AIM client, and login with your new screename. Then import the contact list you just exported (it should ask you to find the exported buddy list file). Once you've exported and imported your buddylist through the official AIM client. Sign in with your screename through adium and wallah, you should be able to see it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!