handwriting

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
bugmenot
Harmless

handwriting

Post by bugmenot »

hello. i have tried and failed to find anything that will allow me to send handwriting messages on a mac to people using msn messenger. i know amsn allows you to send handwriting messages but not to people using msn. will adium ever get this feature ? i have tried every single mac messanger and cant find one that will work. i have searched and only seen stuff referencing libpurple or whatever.

thanks

connor.
Simba Cub
Crema

Post by Simba Cub »

Sorry, no handwriting in Adium and I can't see it happening any time soon. Your best bet is aMSN but I'm not sure if it has this feature or not.

Rich::
bugmenot
Harmless

ok

Post by bugmenot »

any idea why ?. i dont even think there are plug-ins ? is there someone i can ask to implement this. as for amsn its mentioned in my post that it doesnt work.
Simba Cub
Crema

Post by Simba Cub »

As far as I know it's not an easy thing to implement and isn't part of libpurple yet. Unless you're willing to start coding, you'll just have to wait I'm afraid.

bugmenot
Harmless

ok

Post by bugmenot »

hmm...this is definitely the most annoying thing about being on a mac. if i had the money i would lay down the bounty for this feature.

but thanks for your help
m2e
Mocha

Re: handwriting

Post by m2e »

bugmenot wrote:I know amsn allows you to send handwriting messages but not to people using msn.
Can you reword that? I don't know what you mean
bugmenot
Harmless

sure

Post by bugmenot »

it allows you to send handwritten messages between users of amsn and possibly other clients such as mercury or whatever but not the official msn client for windows/mac. so although my friends can send me ink messages i cannot send them ink messages.
m2e
Mocha

Re: sure

Post by m2e »

bugmenot wrote:it allows you to send handwritten messages between users of amsn and possibly other clients such as mercury or whatever but not the official msn client for windows/mac. so although my friends can send me ink messages i cannot send them ink messages.
Oh OK, sorry i wasn't aware of aMSN's implementation
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

We don't make a habit of supporting non-standard features that aren't implemented in the service's protocol. Given the description provided (that only aMSN and Mercury can use this) it seems to fall into this category.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?
Owlboy
Muffin

Post by Owlboy »

If you just want to be able to write your messages to people using a tablet, then turn on Ink in the system prefs.

Otherwise I guess I don't understand what this feature is for.

-Owl
Simba Cub
Crema

Post by Simba Cub »

Owlboy wrote:If you just want to be able to write your messages to people using a tablet, then turn on Ink in the system prefs.

Otherwise I guess I don't understand what this feature is for.

-Owl
Basically you can write or draw a message or image as you would do in a paint app and send it as an inline image.

m2e
Mocha

Post by m2e »

bgannin wrote:We don't make a habit of supporting non-standard features that aren't implemented in the service's protocol. Given the description provided (that only aMSN and Mercury can use this) it seems to fall into this category.
I'm pretty sure it is implemented in the official client, maybe not compatible with aMSN's implementation though
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

IMHO this feature seems pretty useless and just adds bloat to MSN. If you want to send hand written messages go write a letter.
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Crypt wrote:IMHO this feature seems pretty useless and just adds bloat to MSN. If you want to send hand written messages go write a letter.
But you won't give me your physical address.
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

The_Tick wrote:
Crypt wrote:IMHO this feature seems pretty useless and just adds bloat to MSN. If you want to send hand written messages go write a letter.
all you had to do was ask. and if your comfortable speaking to a person online say every week, month, etc, i'm sure a person is comfortable enough to give their address for a letter which is still communication so.
- Bender

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Crypt wrote:
The_Tick wrote:
all you had to do was ask. and if your comfortable speaking to a person online say every week, month, etc, i'm sure a person is comfortable enough to give their address for a letter which is still communication so.
That's not usually the case for me.
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

w/e a feature like this is bloat and unnecessary. just like nudges are pointless.
- Bender

troplin
Latté

Post by troplin »

I find this not that useless..
Maybe it is, if you just write your words by hand, but it is definitely not if you want to explain something, and don't know the right words. So you can sketch it as you would would use a piece of paper.
bugmenot
Harmless

Post by bugmenot »

its not a feature for handwriting but for sending fun drawings to your friends. it may be 'bloat' but why not have it as an optional feature/plug in ?, either that or have a whiteboard application that is cross platform within adium.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: .

Post by The_Tick »

bugmenot wrote:why not have it as an optional feature/plug in ?
Any feature requires ignoring other features, and maintenance.