Amazing new interface

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
edalzell
Harmless

Amazing new interface

Post by edalzell »

Someone over in the Proteus forums mocked up an interface that I think is AWESOME!

Question is, can it be done in Adium with an Xtra?

http://proteusx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=591
Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Catfish_Man »

That looks like some of the mockups Adam made a while back, in certain ways. One could definitely write an Adium plugin to do that, but it would be highly nontrivial.

Also, that way of showing file transfers is less than ideal, since often the progress bar will scroll off the top of the message view.

<edit>
Unless it's intended to stick to the bottom of the view. That could work, although it's not very space efficient.
</edit>
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

It seems to waste bits of space unnecessarily (like the file transfer portion.)
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?
Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Crypt »

this is nothing particularly new.

Image[/url]

EDIT: Catfish_Man just stated what I mentioned and these are the mockups.
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Those are codenamed Rawr, and are mockups Iser and I made. It came out of a whole discussion about removing the contact list.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Ah, here we go, the discussion about these mockups:

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic. ... 9750#49750

Regarding the mockup on the proteus forums, I'm not sure I like it so much.
df0notfound
Latté

Post by df0notfound »

These interfaces seem so imposing, awkward and confusing

iTunes is not the interface solution for every problem.

Although maybe good for proteus because lets face is, adium has perfected the list+tabbed chat combo
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Rawr is not a take on iTunes, more like a browser bookmarks take on it.
df0notfound
Latté

Post by df0notfound »

The_Tick wrote:Rawr is not a take on iTunes, more like a browser bookmarks take on it.
Good thing I was talking about the Proteus mockup then

Couldn't make any sense of Rawr earlier, but looking at it again a minute ago it only made sense when I realised it was some adium+safari offspring.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

df0notfound wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Rawr is not a take on iTunes, more like a browser bookmarks take on it.
Good thing I was talking about the Proteus mockup then
Ah, that makes more sense. You might want to comment on their forums about it, he was requesting some feedback.
df0notfound wrote: Couldn't make any sense of Rawr earlier, but looking at it again a minute ago it only made sense when I realised it was some adium+safari offspring.
Ya, at this point it's just to get folks thinking about alternatives
edalzell
Harmless

Post by edalzell »

The_Tick wrote:Ya, at this point it's just to get folks thinking about alternatives
Yup, that was exactly my intention.

And thanks for pointing out the early ones as well, I didn't realize some people had come up with something similar before. I only came to the Adium camp when Proteus' development stopped and am unaware of the past work.

Open discourse is a good thing.
zforrester
Harmless

Post by zforrester »

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys. Criticism is the only way to improve, so really, thanks.
I'd like to respond to a few of things I've read here, hopefully I don't come off as too defensive, because I really do want to encourage others to comment.

First off, yes, the Transfer Bar would be pinned to the bottom of the convo window, and yes, on second thought it is a bit large. I actually just stole it from from iPhoto's import window, to be honest. Perhaps it could be collapsable/expandable. Not too sure. I kinda like the idea of having a transfer area, like iTune's download area, where you can see all transfers between all your contacts.

While I'm on iTunes, no, clearly the iTunes interface is not the best solution for every app. I'm just looking at iTunes since it seems to be at the forefront of where Apple is taking it's UI, so I'm pulling a lot widgets and window elements from there.

I decided to go with the single window layout, since I'm really sick of the current multi-window method. Why do something in two windows that we can do in one? Simplify, mannnn.

Also, in regards to the Rawr mockups: Sweeet. I like, obviously, the direction its going in. I find it interesting that it went with Mail, while I took the iTunes inspired look; yet another distinction between Adium and Proteus. I still think what I'm trying to do with Proteus is slightly different though, as this looks more like an addition to Adium, rather than a complete remake. Good stuff though, and very polished.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback, I've got some new screenshots posted that I hope you might like better. If you've got anything to add, please, please join the Proteus forum and comment there, if you really care about the project. I want to rebuild the passionate userbase that was there when I started using Proteus, back in the day.

Thanks!
Simba Cub
Crema

Post by Simba Cub »

Crypt wrote:this is nothing particularly new.

I really like this idea as a solution to the contacts/chats barrier. Problems could arise if you were looking for both specifically at the same time, but it has a lot of promise.

Rich::
zforrester
Harmless

Post by zforrester »

Simba Cub wrote:
Crypt wrote:this is nothing particularly new.

I really like this idea as a solution to the contacts/chats barrier. Problems could arise if you were looking for both specifically at the same time, but it has a lot of promise.

Rich::
I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at in this picture. What happens when you click a buddy icon? Is that top bar with the names and groups a most recent list or what?

The second image makes way more sense to me.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Think of Safari. Now look at the image again. When you double click, what action do you expect to happen, based on the actions in Safari? What do you think the bar is?
zforrester
Harmless

Post by zforrester »

The_Tick wrote:Think of Safari. Now look at the image again. When you double click, what action do you expect to happen, based on the actions in Safari? What do you think the bar is?
In that context, I'm thinking that the bar is some sort of bookmarking system for recent or important buddies, and when double click on a buddy either their profile, or a new message window pops up. I guess that the idea is to make bookmarks and buddies analogous to each other. Do I win a prize?
bgannin
Growl Team

Post by bgannin »

zforrester wrote:If you've got anything to add, please, please join the Proteus forum and comment there, if you really care about the project. I want to rebuild the passionate userbase that was there when I started using Proteus, back in the day.

Thanks!
I respect the sentiment (community building) but attempting to pull users from one project to build another is at best an uphill battle (and doing so in such a pointed manner is a bit distasteful to me as we provided feedback in the community where it was brought to our attention - I'm not in the habit of lurking on other communities and helping them improve their product.)

If the current userbase doesn't show passion for a product the developers need to make an effort to show they care about the product and can invigorate it, or the userbase has no reason to care regardless of your efforts. Despite some theories to the otherwise, I've often heard that the responsive and dedicated nature of our development team is one of the reasons for choosing Adium.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?
zforrester
Harmless

Post by zforrester »

bgannin wrote:I respect the sentiment (community building) but attempting to pull users from one project to build another is at best an uphill battle (and doing so in such a pointed manner is a bit distasteful to me as we provided feedback in the community where it was brought to our attention - I'm not in the habit of lurking on other communities and helping them improve their product.)

If the current userbase doesn't show passion for a product the developers need to make an effort to show they care about the product and can invigorate it, or the userbase has no reason to care regardless of your efforts. Despite some theories to the otherwise, I've often heard that the responsive and dedicated nature of our development team is one of the reasons for choosing Adium.
I apologize. It was not my intent to pull users away from Adium for Proteus benefit, and I'm sorry that what I said could be construed that way. I ended up here because the Tick thoughtfully posted a link to here on the Proteus forum (for which I'm very grateful - it's brought in a lot more attention then would otherwise have been received.) I know that many Adium users here were once, or may still be Proteus fans, and what I'd like to do is show them that there is still activity on the Proteus Project, if they're willing to give some of their attention.

I'm sure - I know - that the Adium team is superb - how else could they have built up such a fantastic, dedicated community, not too mention the (currently) most advanced IM client available (on Mac or Windows, if you ask me).

I would never want to detract from that, and I hope that both Open Source projects (I know, I know, where's the source code?) can learn and benefit from each other as they grow. If you remember the good ol days of Proteus, the project desperately needs your help and support, but I'd hate for it to come at Adium's expense.

Thanks,
Zach
Last edited by zforrester on Sun May 13, 2007 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

I've never been a fan of proteus. Just to clear that up.

edit: Both projects are not open source as of yet.
zforrester
Harmless

Post by zforrester »

The_Tick wrote:I've never been a fan of proteus. Just to clear that up.

edit: Both projects are not open source as of yet.
Sorry man, I thought you were... you're active in the proteus community at least, sorry.

Man, by the time this is over, the whole Adium team is gonna hate me. I have foot in mouth disease. It's not pleasant.

I corrected the post.