Signs off when I close laptop

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
rsxboy
Harmless

Signs off when I close laptop

Post by rsxboy »

I have a Macbook and I use Adium. Whenever I close my laptop, it signs me off. Is there any way to fix this? Closing it puts it to sleep.
revolution
Crema

Post by revolution »

As you already said, closing the laptop puts it to sleep. This means it loses the internet connection so is bound to log Adium off. This is standard behaviour.
LuxuryChair
Frappa

Post by LuxuryChair »

Yeah, there's no way around this except for downloading a program that will force your computer to run in Clamshell mode, which is considered to be bad for the screen.

I'm not sure exactly how bad - I run my computer in clamshell all day every day for the most part because I use an external monitor/kb/mouse. I only have it open when I need more screen real-estate for work - and I've never had an issue with it hurting the screen... but then again, my screen isn't on while I do this.
m2e
Mocha

Post by m2e »

LuxuryChair wrote:Yeah, there's no way around this except for downloading a program that will force your computer to run in Clamshell mode, which is considered to be bad for the screen.

I'm not sure exactly how bad - I run my computer in clamshell all day every day for the most part because I use an external monitor/kb/mouse. I only have it open when I need more screen real-estate for work - and I've never had an issue with it hurting the screen... but then again, my screen isn't on while I do this.
Sorry to get offtopic, but couldn't you just set the screen to turn itself off after a certain time period?
LuxuryChair
Frappa

Post by LuxuryChair »

Yeah, thats what I'm saying: people say its harmful to run in clamshell mode - but I don't know just how bad it is, really, considering you can have the monitor turn itself off in as little as 2 minutes.

Try googling around for it and see if you can find something that'll let you do it.
ewanog
Harmless

Post by ewanog »

df0notfound
Latté

Post by df0notfound »

LuxuryChair wrote:Yeah, thats what I'm saying: people say its harmful to run in clamshell mode - but I don't know just how bad it is, really, considering you can have the monitor turn itself off in as little as 2 minutes.

Try googling around for it and see if you can find something that'll let you do it.
Laptops distribute heat out of the case through the surface, covering this area will insulate this heat and potentially break it.

Would you cover your airvents too?
VERY bad idea
LuxuryChair
Frappa

Post by LuxuryChair »

df0notfound wrote:
LuxuryChair wrote:Yeah, thats what I'm saying: people say its harmful to run in clamshell mode - but I don't know just how bad it is, really, considering you can have the monitor turn itself off in as little as 2 minutes.

Laptops distribute heat out of the case through the surface, covering this area will insulate this heat and potentially break it.

Would you cover your airvents too?
VERY bad idea
Like I said, I ran my powerbook for 2 years - on most of every day - in clamshell mode attached to a monitor. I never had any heat related issues at all - and the powerbooks ran a lot hotter than my macbook does now.

Am I the exception? yeah, maybe. Thats why I prefaced my story by saying it was just my personal experience.
Objectivist-C
Harmless

Post by Objectivist-C »

LuxuryChair wrote:Like I said, I ran my powerbook for 2 years - on most of every day - in clamshell mode attached to a monitor. I never had any heat related issues at all - and the powerbooks ran a lot hotter than my macbook does now.
PowerBooks dissipate heat through their metal casings; iBooks/MacBooks don't, apparently meaning you get more heat rising through the keyboard / palm rest area.
Zeremus X
Crema

Post by Zeremus X »

I notice a lot of heat coming from the spot where the computer and screen meet. Right where it folds down, sorry I can't think of the word.
TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Post by TheSilverFox06 »

Zeremus X wrote:I notice a lot of heat coming from the spot where the computer and screen meet. Right where it folds down, sorry I can't think of the word.
Were you thinking of hinge or joint?