Is there a way to set up Adium for multiple users?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
1g0r
Harmless

Is there a way to set up Adium for multiple users?

Postby 1g0r » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:16 pm

My wife and myself are sharing the same Mac, the same user account and the same Adium. She has an AIM and a MSN account and so do I. We have added all four accounts in Adium.

The problem is even though Adium lets us choose which account to send messages from (upon starting up each chat session), recipients complain they cannot see who's actually sending the message (me or my wife), all they see is the name we have set up in Adium preferences.

Is there a way to set up Adium for multiple users, not just multiple IM accounts?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:30 pm

I don't understand the complaint (sending from account X should be just like sending from account X anywhere else), but you can hold down option on launch to bring up a 'profile chooser' window.

You can also use OSX's built in user account support, of course, which is what we usually recommend ;)

1g0r
Harmless

Postby 1g0r » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Catfish_Man wrote:you can hold down option on launch to bring up a 'profile chooser' window

Great, that's perfect! Can we switch between accounts without quitting and relaunching Adium?

1g0r
Harmless

Postby 1g0r » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Catfish_Man wrote:You can also use OSX's built in user account support, of course, which is what we usually recommend ;)

Smiley noted, but user switching sucks – we would need to switch every five minutes.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 pm

Login for different users in the same OSX account is something I'd love to see.

Rich::

zheaton
Harmless

Postby zheaton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

1g0r: Have you tried assigning different names to your different IM accounts? If you use the "Personal" pane in the preferences window, one name will be assigned to all of your accounts. However, if you open the "Accounts" pane, select an account, click "Edit", and then select the "Personal" tab, you can assign per-account names, user icons, and profiles. Would this solve your problem?

1g0r
Harmless

Postby 1g0r » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am

zheaton wrote:1g0r: Have you tried assigning different names to your different IM accounts? If you use the "Personal" pane in the preferences window, one name will be assigned to all of your accounts. However, if you open the "Accounts" pane, select an account, click "Edit", and then select the "Personal" tab, you can assign per-account names, user icons, and profiles. Would this solve your problem?

Thanks, seems to do the trick. Settings in Adium are tricky and hard to find...

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 pm

1g0r wrote:
zheaton wrote:1g0r: Have you tried assigning different names to your different IM accounts? If you use the "Personal" pane in the preferences window, one name will be assigned to all of your accounts. However, if you open the "Accounts" pane, select an account, click "Edit", and then select the "Personal" tab, you can assign per-account names, user icons, and profiles. Would this solve your problem?

Thanks, seems to do the trick. Settings in Adium are tricky and hard to find...

How was that hard to find?

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Read this - it may be the solution you're looking for!

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?t=15960

Rich::

1g0r
Harmless

Postby 1g0r » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:43 pm

The_Tick wrote:How was that hard to find?

I stand corrected. It was easy to find. I never had any problems finding it. I was just posting this thread to bug you.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:54 pm

1g0r wrote:

I stand corrected. It was easy to find. I never had any problems finding it. I was just posting this thread to bug you.

Are you sure? I ask because if it's hard, we need to fix it.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:09 pm

The_Tick wrote:
1g0r wrote:

Are you sure? I ask because if it's hard, we need to fix it.

Just so you know, when The_Tick asks a question like this, he is not trying to be condescending, he is asking out of wanting to know if the software needs to be improved. If it were easy to find, and you just overlooked it, that's understandable (happens all the time, even to the devs), but if it were hidden or just in need of documentation, then it can go on the todo list.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:24 am

1g0r wrote:
Catfish_Man wrote:You can also use OSX's built in user account support, of course, which is what we usually recommend ;)

Smiley noted, but user switching sucks – we would need to switch every five minutes.

Why's that a problem with Fast User Switching enabled? You get an icon in the top-right that provides two-click access to switching to the other user, and you get a ton of benefits as a result.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Return to “Adium”