Will Adium be released for iPhone?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Sean
Latté

Will Adium be released for iPhone?

Postby Sean » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:29 pm

I am really excited about the new iPhone SDK details. At the iPhone roadmap keynote today, AOL revealed their AIM client for the iPhone which was done in only five days:

But of course it only supports AIM, and not MSN and other platforms, and it won't have the customization that we all love. So this got me curious about what Adium's plans for the iPhone are? Now that SDK details are public and it's been released, it seems like it would be possible for Adium to be ported - Apple is even allowing apps to be distributed for free on the iPhone app store.

Adium would be the killer app for the iPhone IMO. Obviously it's early yet but are any of the devs considering porting this? Would like something to get excited for.

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 pm

I'd like to be able to shake the iPhone when the Adium-app is at front, and hear it quack at me... ^^

But seriously, it would be awesome..

zerock
Crema

Postby zerock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:03 am

it would be awesome indeed.

donkei
Muffin

Postby donkei » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:39 pm

It would be a must have application for all iPhone and iPod Touch owners!! :D

I'm not so sure about the customization idea though. I like the iPhone interface because it's unified, simple, neat and clean.

caitlin
Harmless

Postby caitlin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Don't really need the full customization on the phone as we have on the mac.

As long as it has a wide array of options. Display buddy icons or not (maybe attach a buddy to an address book and display the photo instead). Colors, maybe height of each contact. Not too much, but just enough. Definitely nothing useless.

I think the only customization that is a must would be the icon customization. That might be able to be handled by some time of xtra ID or something, where you just jot down the ID of a certain icon you find on the website and it pulls it from it.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 pm

With the way I wrote the Xtras page, it would be trivial to write an iPhone version of it. I haven't really looked at the iPhone SDK, but it might not be too hard to embed a browser window and grab Xtras that way inside Adium.

Or, if you can associate downloads with apps, just use Safari.

Return to “Adium”