Facebook List disappeared

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
beachbumdeac
Harmless

Facebook List disappeared

Post by beachbumdeac »

I have three different accounts on my Adium... AIM, Google Talk, and Facebook. When I start Adium, all three accounts connect successfully (I can see so in the File menu). However, my facebook contact list is nowhere to be found. It appeared when I first created the account and connected for the first time. I detached it from the main window to keep my clients separate. I went to the facebook website (I know that this kicks you off in Adium), so that I could set my default chat setting to offline when I visited the website so that it wouldn't kick me off anymore. When it kicked me off, my facebook buddy list disappeared and did not re-appear when I connected back through Adium. I've quit out of the program and restarted, and still nothing. I deleted my facebook account within the Adium preferences, created it again, and still no luck.

Any tips?

Using Adium 1.3b2
DeathAxe
Frappa

Re: Facebook List disappeared

Post by DeathAxe »

First, beta topics should go in the appropriate Beta forum :)

Is your bug the same as the one described in #10073?
Image Please search the forums and trac before posting!
beachbumdeac
Harmless

Post by beachbumdeac »

Kind of. The contacts did show up when I first started adium, but disappeared the first time I logged onto facebook in Firefox and got kicked off, and have not appeared since.
Ancyru
Harmless

Post by Ancyru »

I was thinking along the same lines as you, I've never been kicked of Adium Facebook while actually visiting Facebook so I thought, let's turn off the one on Facebook & just use Adium.

Then I wondered why my contacts never showed up in Adium again so I went to switch it back on in Facebook (set status to Online).

Magically my contacts came back online. ;) It seems like if you want to be able to see your contacts in Adium, you still have to have your status as Online in Facebook.
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.
froob
Harmless

Post by froob »

I have had the same problem described in this thread, caused by setting my status on facebook.com to offline. Unfortunately setting my status to online on the website did not bring back my facebook contact list in Adium.
f3z
Harmless

Post by f3z »

Same here. My Facebook contact list completely disappeared this morning. One of my friends sent me a message, and instead of his full name, I could see a 9 digit number in the chat window (but still nothing in the contact list). Now if I open up the chat transcript viewer, all my Facebook friends appear as numbers. Has anyone else experienced this?
hippy dave
Muffin

Post by hippy dave »

yep f3z i'm getting the same today (was working fine up until yesterday). maybe facebook changed something in their chat protocol...
ilovetaron
Harmless

Post by ilovetaron »

lol, hey beachbum. same problem here.

i have 1.3b3 and about half the time it will connect quickly but provide no list (and someone on fb can IM me but i just see their ID number and their profile picture) and the other half of the time i just see the loading animation on my dock icon and under File it says "cancel: [my fb email address]" because it's still trying to connect.
zerock
Crema

Post by zerock »

same problems as above.
globalinnes
Harmless

Post by globalinnes »

Same issue. Hoping someone has a solution.
dkocolin
Harmless

Post by dkocolin »

Same here. It worked fine for me. Stayed signed out a few days, now I get no buddy list and I get people's profile pictures and ID numbers with a yellow gem.
smajor
Latté

Post by smajor »

Definitely have the same problems as all of you. This worked for a little while on both my iMac and MacBook, then just stopped showing contacts.

It says I'm connected, but that's about it. When I log into Facebook via http, it disconnects Adium's Facebook and reconnects when I log off (as expected) - so I know there is some communication going on with Facebook.
donotronix
Harmless

Post by donotronix »

it worked for me for awhile but now it'll say it's connected but none of my contacts ever show (i've checked to see that people are online via facebook.com). tried connecting on the website and disconnecting, reinstalling the beta- haven't found a way to fix it yet.
Rasmuskr
Harmless

Post by Rasmuskr »

Hello
I was so annoied this dident work i downloaded the source and fixed it ( i hope, i havent had time to test it thourghly, but it works for me ).

The error was some missing arguments to the post when requesting the buddy list, so it would return an empty list
I fixed it by editing the AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m source file, here follows a diff where the _old is the orginal file from the adium reposetory. I dont know where to submit this to alert the adium developers, so if anyone knows please forward it to them, so it hopfully can ease their development.

Code: Select all

--- AIFacebookBuddyListManager_old.m	2008-06-19 20:46:54.000000000 +0200
+++ AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m	2008-06-19 20:48:32.000000000 +0200
@@ -153,6 +153,8 @@
 	NSData *postData = [AIFacebookAccount postDataForDictionary:[NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
 																 @"1", @"buddy_list",
 																 @"1", @"notifications",
+																 @"true", @"force_render",
+																 @"false", @"popped_out",
 																 [account postFormID], @"post_form_id",
 																 [account facebookUID], @"user",
 																 nil]];
@@ -166,7 +168,7 @@

- (void)setupBuddyListPolling
 {
-	timer_polling = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:60
+	timer_polling = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:30
 													  target:self
 													selector:@selector(pollBuddyList:)
 													userInfo:nil
And for the rest of you i have compiled a new version of the Facebook.AdiumPlugin there can be found here: http://rasmuskr.dk/adiumx/Facebook.AdiumPlugin.zip

This can replace the broken one in adium, just find adium and right click and show package contents and replace the file in the Plugins folder

/Rasmus

P.S. Keep up the good work on Adium :-)

Edit: the sourcecode to the whole file ive edited can be found here: http://rasmuskr.dk/adiumx/AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m
Sumo Budah
Harmless

Post by Sumo Budah »

Great Fix - Worked for me.

Rasmuskr wrote:Hello
I was so annoied this dident work i downloaded the source and fixed it ( i hope, i havent had time to test it thourghly, but it works for me ).

The error was some missing arguments to the post when requesting the buddy list, so it would return an empty list
I fixed it by editing the AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m source file, here follows a diff where the _old is the orginal file from the adium reposetory. I dont know where to submit this to alert the adium developers, so if anyone knows please forward it to them, so it hopfully can ease their development.

Code: Select all

--- AIFacebookBuddyListManager_old.m	2008-06-19 20:46:54.000000000 +0200
+++ AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m	2008-06-19 20:48:32.000000000 +0200
@@ -153,6 +153,8 @@
 	NSData *postData = [AIFacebookAccount postDataForDictionary:[NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
 																 @"1", @"buddy_list",
 																 @"1", @"notifications",
+																 @"true", @"force_render",
+																 @"false", @"popped_out",
 																 [account postFormID], @"post_form_id",
 																 [account facebookUID], @"user",
 																 nil]];
@@ -166,7 +168,7 @@

- (void)setupBuddyListPolling
 {
-	timer_polling = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:60
+	timer_polling = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:30
 													  target:self
 													selector:@selector(pollBuddyList:)
 													userInfo:nil
And for the rest of you i have compiled a new version of the Facebook.AdiumPlugin there can be found here: http://rasmuskr.dk/adiumx/Facebook.AdiumPlugin.zip

This can replace the broken one in adium, just find adium and right click and show package contents and replace the file in the Plugins folder

/Rasmus

P.S. Keep up the good work on Adium :-)

Edit: the sourcecode to the whole file ive edited can be found here: http://rasmuskr.dk/adiumx/AIFacebookBuddyListManager.m
ilovetaron
Harmless

Post by ilovetaron »

Awesome - thanks!
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

Thanks Rasmuskr, it seems the "force_render" is the only form attribute we needed to fix the contact list display. The fix was added in http://trac.adiumx.com/changeset/24023
hippy dave
Muffin

Post by hippy dave »

tasar
Harmless

Post by tasar »

hm... still doesn't work for me !
perhaps because I run on OSX.4 ?
:(
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

tasar, wait for the next beta, it's around the corner. :)