How to "uncombine" contact group (1.3b7)

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
sparker
Muffin

How to "uncombine" contact group (1.3b7)

Postby sparker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:48 pm

I accidentally dropped one of my friends "sons" onto his account, and now they're combined.

I need to know how to make them "unique" accounts again. I've tried dragging them out of the group (this doesn't work, but is almost expected behavior, allowing us to reorder the contacts in the group). I searched help, and it said to do a "Get Info" on the group, then with the sub-contacts displayed, highlight the one I want to remove, and hit the "-" button. There is no "-" that I can see (see attached screen-cap).

Pic.png
Screen Cap
Pic.png (71.47 KiB) Viewed 4380 times

How do I "move" the entries under the parent back to being their own "1st level entities"?

TIA Steve
Steve P
Somewhere in Colorado

Chabou
Harmless

Re: How to "uncombine" contact group (1.3b7)

Postby Chabou » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Dragging out works for me, but I'm using 1.3b5. Is it a regression introduced recently ?

sparker wrote:There is no "-" that I can see (see attached screen-cap).

That is because they redesigned a brand new "Get Info" window without it. It's just that the help hasn't been updated yet. ;)
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ;)

sparker
Muffin

Postby sparker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:22 pm

[quote="Chabou"]Dragging out works for me, but I'm using 1.3b5. Is it a regression introduced recently ?</quote>
You got me thinking more about it. Dragging it to a "group heading" worked just fine!!! Thanks for the tip.

I was trying to drag it like into the list in the place I wanted it. So... two operations instead of one, but at least it's now unbound and working as a separate "item".

Steve
Steve P
Somewhere in Colorado

waynie
Harmless

Postby waynie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:26 am

I also had this issue, however I don't enable groups in my Contact List. This makes uncombining a contact a three-step process - showing groups from the view menu, uncombine the contact by command-dragging them onto a group heading, and then hiding groups form the view menu. Any way we can make this process more intuitive and obvious? I didn't know how to do it until I found this thread.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 pm

waynie wrote:I also had this issue, however I don't enable groups in my Contact List. This makes uncombining a contact a three-step process - showing groups from the view menu, uncombine the contact by command-dragging them onto a group heading, and then hiding groups form the view menu. Any way we can make this process more intuitive and obvious? I didn't know how to do it until I found this thread.

This is a bug in the new system; it should allow targeting drops at the contact list rather than individual groups if groups are turned off.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Return to “Adium”