Call to Action: Adium for the iPhone/Touch!

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
clickmyface
Harmless

Call to Action: Adium for the iPhone/Touch!

Postby clickmyface » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Yesterday millions of people stood in line to purchase the iPhone 3G. Many of those people are going to notice one glaring absence: the lack of an instant messaging client. A solution to this, and perhaps the most notable and valuable new feature of the phone, is the App Store.

As many of you reading this already know, Adium is one of the best and most refined instant messaging clients available. Adium's continued elegance and constant development embodies the spirit of Mac OS X. Lets bring it to the iPhone.

All said, as a loyal and long time Adium user, I say please, bring us Adium Mobile. Become the best and most elegant mobile chat application around. Theres a need for it, and you guys have proven yourselves able to deliver.

- Thanks!

p.s. I realize that there are other threads about this, but they are pre-sdk.

Synthetic Frost
Harmless

Re: Call to Action: Adium for the iPhone/Touch!

Postby Synthetic Frost » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 pm

You're the 4,365,411th user to request this. Get in line. 8-)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Was thinking about this recently. Might be an interesting experiment.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 pm

I believe you can get an iChat app for them? Something to plug the gap until someone creates a multi-protocol IM client :)

Rich::

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:37 pm

There's an AIM client which is terribly buggy and, well, sucks.

We'll have to see how the NDA goes; if I do start working on something even that wouldn't be able to be released or even developed publicly.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:43 pm

There's also Trillian Astra, but that's not out yet and probably won't be for a millennia!

Rich::

Yohmi
Harmless

Postby Yohmi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 am

Instant messaging will be great with the push thing Apple told about. But I'm not quite sure it'd compatible with libpurple apps, because it's not on their own server... but I may be all wrong about this ^^ and of course I hope to :P

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:56 am

I like the title of this thread.
Let's see if someone steps up to the task. =-)

Edit: Just saw
clickmyface wrote:[...]Lets bring it to the iPhone.[...]

Are you going to do it? :b

Owlboy
Muffin

Postby Owlboy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:40 am

I love how random people seemingly command others to write them software. For free.

DougSO
Harmless

Postby DougSO » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm a bit confused. I was accepted to the iPhone dev program and do not see what the NDA has to do with revealing whether you can/are porting an app to the iPhone or not. Is this just an issue of proprietary vs open source coding?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 pm

The gpl says you have to release your source. NDA's typically say not to disclose xyz. Releasing source means you disclose xyz typically

DougSO
Harmless

Postby DougSO » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Ok, so the summation is that GPL code cannot be put on the iPhone as the conditions of iPhone development may violate the GPL. This is interesting and something I will definitely be looking into. If Apple is ok with code being released which has calls to their Frameworks (dynamic libraries) in it, then I don't see an issue. If those API calls cannot be "revealed", then the iPhone is not GPL-friendly and no GPL code can be ported to the iPhone.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:31 pm

DougSO wrote:Ok, so the summation is that GPL code cannot be put on the iPhone as the conditions of iPhone development may violate the GPL. This is interesting and something I will definitely be looking into. If Apple is ok with code being released which has calls to their Frameworks (dynamic libraries) in it, then I don't see an issue. If those API calls cannot be "revealed", then the iPhone is not GPL-friendly and no GPL code can be ported to the iPhone.

Precisely. Please let us know what you find out from Apple or legal consul :)
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

durgle
Harmless

Postby durgle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 pm

DOOOOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!! I dont think the iPhone will be complete without AdiumTouch! Seriously, dont make us use AIM!

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 am

durgle wrote:DOOOOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!! I dont think the iPhone will be complete without AdiumTouch! Seriously, dont make us use AIM!

DOOOOOOO ITTTTTT YYYOOOUUURRRSSSEEEELLLFFFF!!!!!
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

friday
Harmless

Postby friday » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Owlboy wrote:I love how random people seemingly command others to write them software. For free.

I don't think anybody is commanding anyone to do something. The way I see it, open source programmers do what they do because they want to help other people to do things better and easier, and if they don´t know what other people would like for a program, they will be rarely be programming stuff people actually like, so if many people go out and say, for example, that they would like adium for the iPhone, developers will then know that making an iphone version of adium would be helpful to many people.

So in short, if people say the want "x" feature on "y" program, that's a suggestion, not a command, and developers of program "y" would probably feel good about knowing people's feeling about what they (the users) think next features should be.

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:53 pm

friday wrote:
Owlboy wrote:So in short, if people say the want "x" feature on "y" program, that's a suggestion, not a command, and developers of program "y" would probably feel good about knowing people's feeling about what they (the users) think next features should be.

Unfortunately, many people aren't really skilled at "suggesting" things in a nice way...
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

durgle
Harmless

Postby durgle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 am

(removed) I was being enthusiastic about Adium because I love the software, but you can go fuck yourself.

anyways... WordPress, which is open source, was just released on app store. Go for it fellaz!

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 am

durgle wrote:(removed) I was being enthusiastic about Adium because I love the software, but you can go fuck yourself.

anyways... WordPress, which is open source, was just released on app store. Go for it fellaz!

I don't see the source on their page for this "open source" app. Am I missing it, or is it not released?

friday
Harmless

Postby friday » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 pm

zac wrote:
durgle wrote:(removed) I was being enthusiastic about Adium because I love the software, but you can go fuck yourself.

I don't see the source on their page for this "open source" app. Am I missing it, or is it not released?

here you can get the code

http://wordpress.org/download/svn/

anyway i've always thought wordpress is a blog creation tool, so I'm not sure how it competes with Adium

Return to “Adium”