Call to Action: Adium for the iPhone/Touch!

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Call to Action: Adium for the iPhone/Touch!

Post by evands »

I don't see any source (or license) for their iPhone app there.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

Here's a screenshot of http://iphone.wordpress.org/

and here's a blog entry where a developer says they're working on getting the source into Trac.

http://iphone.wordpress.org/2008/07/22/ ... lable-now/
It tells you its open source right on the dedicated Wordpress for iPhone page
It tells you its open source right on the dedicated Wordpress for iPhone page
Picture 1.png (100.54 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

So it's not open source yet, despite calling itself so. I'm pretty sure they're going to violate the NDA when they post it, so we'll see how that goes.
daiden
Harmless

Post by daiden »

durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

Yes, I just read that the source was released today. If WP can do it, so can Adium! :D
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

durgle wrote:Yes, I just read that the source was released today. If WP can do it, so can Adium! :D
If WP doesn't get sued to heaven and back, sure.
durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

No lawsuits yet... If Apple hasnt taken it down and issued subpoenas by now they never will... GO TEAM ADIUM!
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

You guys need to chill out. It could be a year before they would have it taken down, maybe more.
durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

The_Tick wrote:You guys need to chill out. It could be a year before they would have it taken down, maybe more.
I dont understand the relevance of that ^.

I dont think that they will take it down at all, they took NetShare down for potentially being against T&C's only to put it back on. Im under the impression that if an app is even questionably against the t&c's that it has a hard time getting on/staying on the appstore. Within a year apple is going to change their attitude towards open source apps (even though it seems that they have no objections to them now).... the NDA will be gone soon, there is too much backlash and too many crap apps (99%) on app store. Even if it is taken down a year from now, which it won't be, how does that prevent the adium from being developed/released?

There is no worthwhile chat apps on AppStore either... MobileChat is coming, but will cost $$$ and it looks like it will be garbage anyways.
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

The question isn't whether it violates the terms and conditions (I haven't read them, but I don't believe it does). There is a few problems:

1) Apple is violating the GPL by putting restrictions on usage of the binary.
2) Apple's NDA explicitly states that you cannot release the source (among other things) based on information gained in the iPhone developer program.
3) The GPL explicitly states that you must release the source code.

I'm surprised Apple isn't enforcing the NDA with the GPL apps, but either way it's not following either agreement to post an app in the AppStore. Not to mention the fact that it costs money to even develop on an iPhone/touch.

The NDA also would prevent a public developer discussion (on our mailing list, for example, which is woefully public) on any part of development.
durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

Good News Fellaz!

Apple has dropped the NDA on the iPhone SDK.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/01/iphone-nda-dropped/

Now, it seems that nothing is stopping it :D!!!!! HOORAAAYYY

i'd pay $19.99 for AdiumXiPhone
Schmelkus
Harmless

Apple drops secrecy pledge for iPhone developers!

Post by Schmelkus »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_ ... ple_iphone

Does this clear the way at all for Adium to make it to the iphone? I hope so.

oh sorry, i thought i was the first to post this.
durgle
Harmless

Post by durgle »

you know what sucks about the iphone?

the only functional IM app is $15.99... c'mon team adium!
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

durgle wrote:you know what sucks about the iphone?

the only functional IM app is $15.99... c'mon team adium!
If someone wants to get paid for their work, I think 15.99 is a fair price for what that app does.

You're welcome to start work on the adium iphone client though.
Buran
Harmless

Post by Buran »

It's always seemed amazing to me that people will complain about and pirate an app that only costs about as much as a dinner out. It does what it claims to do, unlike a certain app that is abbreviated MC that took my money and never gave me what I paid for (I got a refund and bought the competition). $16 is cheap for software. Most good shareware apps cost a lot more than that and I don't see anywhere near as much complaining and pirating as I have over BeeJive. I wonder sometimes if it's a bunch of immature entitlement kids who don't want to spend their entire allowance for the week on one thing, never mind their text-happy natures would probably mean they'd get a ton of use out of what, when you think about it, is a tiny amount of money.

I love good free apps (Adium is one) and it's nice that people who love what they do donate their work for everyone to use, but that doesn't mean that you can just take when there is a charge. BeeJive costs because it has a backend that keeps you online all the time, which none of the competition has (I don't count MC because their app just plain doesn't work) and that doesn't come free.

I'm sure Adium would cost money, or at least request donations, were there a similar situation, but there isn't on desktop clients because those can maintain connections directly to the AIM/ICQ/MSN/jabber/etc. servers. It looks the same to the end user but in the background it's just not the same.

If you'd like Adium for the iPhone, please, do look at BeeJive. I've been mostly pleased so far (and have sent messages to support about the few things that do bother me, some cosmetic one not; hopefully, an update will improve the app). It's well worth the money. You just have to boot it up at least once per day to stay logged in permanently.