Saving transcripts

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
EB ESQ
Harmless

Saving transcripts

Post by EB ESQ »

In all likelihood, this is a very dumb question. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not Mac savvy. I'm not even a Mac owner, but I have been using a Mac at work for the past few months.

However, it's getting taken from me next week, and I'm trying to transfer my files to a new (PC) laptop. There are quite a few (upwards of a thousand) Adium chat transcripts on this thing that I'd like to be able to keep, and I believe that I've found the place where the files are kept, but my question is, will I be able to open these on a PC? The file format is ".chatlog", and it looks pretty garbled when I try to open it in Word or Textedit. Is there an easier way to do this? Someone please help out a desperate, Mac-ignorant man. :)
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Saving transcripts

Post by evands »

It's an XML file in the well-documented Universal Chat Log format... a format which, unfortunately, isn't actually universal, though that was its intention ;) An interested party could fairly easily write a tool to read it, so I would keep the files though you may have to seek help on the Windows side with it.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
EB ESQ
Harmless

Post by EB ESQ »

Just so I'm clear, you're saying I WON'T be able to open them on a Windows computer (at least, not in a readable form)? If that's the case, I need to get to work copy-and-pasting a thousand chatlogs into a text file, since I don't know if I'll ever have access to a Mac again, and I'll be needing some of these logs. Ah well, at least it'll look like I'm being productive. ;)
darmok
Latté

Post by darmok »

EB ESQ wrote:Just so I'm clear, you're saying I WON'T be able to open them on a Windows computer (at least, not in a readable form)?
The chatlog files *are* readable on a PC. They are ascii text. They just contain a bazillion xml (html-ish looking) tags. You can open them with any text editor and search thru them quite easily. With a few macros, you could clobber the tags, leaving behind a normal plain text log.

HTH,
- Dan.
300-MHz Smurf & 1.5-GHz PowerBook G4, Tiger and Leopard.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

If we get lucky, 1.3.1 will add the possibility of saving logs as html files (#6569). :)
Won't happen till next week, though, that's for sure.

Best solution of all would probably be to swap the new Windows laptop for a neat MacBook (Pro). :b
darmok
Latté

Post by darmok »

Robby wrote:If we get lucky, 1.3.1 will add the possibility of saving logs as html files (#6569).
hum. Some of my chatlog files are folders containing a single .xml file (very confusing). The xsl stuff in that ticket works if used on the xml file but not the chatlog. Works quite nicely, actually! Looking forward to seeing that all implemented within Adium.

Thx,
- Dan.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

Adium 1.0 through 1.2.7 stored a .chatlog file. Adium 1.3 stores the same file, but as an .xml file within a .chatlog bundle. This allows the transcript to store images sent during the chat :)
The duck still burns.
--
darmok
Latté

Post by darmok »

evands wrote:Adium 1.0 through 1.2.7 stored a .chatlog file. Adium 1.3 stores the same file, but as an .xml file within a .chatlog bundle. This allows the transcript to store images sent during the chat :)
Oh! hum. Ok. That explains the bloat I've had recently!

Is there a tool in the Chat Transcript Viewer to locate and expunge them? Is there a preference to disable that image storage altogether? I've already found and checked "only from contacts on my contacts list" under File Transfers. That's a start wrt graphic spim. But... geeze... I really don't want the other big images people send me to be saved that way - burried so deep you can't find them.

...ObBrainRunningAmok - Adium with "only from contacts" unchecked - someone could stock you up with illegal images then drop a dime on you. Given the current clime, you'd be farked bad.

- Dan.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

No to all of the above, but reasonable requests. Please file Trac tickets for each request so they don't get lost :)
The duck still burns.
--