Yet Another Contact List Anomaly

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ralphthemagician
Harmless

Yet Another Contact List Anomaly

Postby ralphthemagician » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 am

So, I've had this since somewhere in the 1.2 beta branch. Not sure where exactly. I have the same problem on two machines. I only have one AIM account that I use with Adium, and all contacts are AIM contacts.

I've looked, but haven't seen anything quite like this. Perhaps someone can direct me there if they know better than I.

This is what my contact list looks like when I start Adium.
The offline count is wrong. 5 people are missing from it. I don't get why. It's always the same 5 people. I have to toggle the offline group off and then back on again, and then they all appear. It's just weird. When the missing people come online though, it's no problem. When they go offline, they then reappear in the offline list as per normal. But when I close out and restart, it returns to the weird state.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Yet Another Contact List Anomaly

Postby Robby » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 am

The Adium developers are aware of these "visibility" issues. They're are in the middle of looking into them. See the list of remaining bugs to fix for 1.3.1 which you can find on the Roadmap.

Edit: sweet theme you've got there, by the way! :)

ralphthemagician
Harmless

Postby ralphthemagician » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:05 am

It's actually just a combination of the included themes and settings.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:41 am

Oh, silly me, yeah, it's Decay. :)
Thanks a lot, I might give it a shot.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 am

There's a good reason Decay is one of the defaults :)

ralphthemagician: give 1.3.1b2 (beta.adiumx.com) a spin and see if it behaves better.

ralphthemagician
Harmless

Postby ralphthemagician » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Nope. Same thing. I've even tried deleting the Adium folder from Application Support, the cache, and the preferences and starting over. Same problem.

I think it may have something to do with some kind of embeded information in the contact list stored on the AOL servers. That is, there is some kind of pseduo-category that certain contacts fall into which Adium doesn't recognize properly as "offline". Just a theory.

I did notice something odd though. The contacts that always show up properly look like this in the Contact Info:

Those that are missing look like this:

They have the extra "Contact" field. All the contacts that always show up don't have this field. All the ones that are missing, do.

Again, it's not a huge deal. It's just really strange.

I guess I should also state that I'm using a custom AIM SN: aaronrichard@ralphthemagician.com is my SN. Can't see why that would matter for something like this though, but just throwing it out there.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:14 am

Developers: That means that all of the ones that aren't showing up are metacontacts.

Thanks for the info; that was helpful. Please subscribe to this thread, as I'll have a debug build for you to try out (after unchecking your 'always show this contact' checkboxes!) in the next day or two.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

ralphthemagician
Harmless

Postby ralphthemagician » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Indeed, I gathered that from the similar bug in Trac. Turning off metacontacts does, in fact, immediately fix the problem.

However, what is odd in my case is that I don't have any metacontacts. All my contacts have a single AIM screen name associated with the Address Book. I can make no rhyme reason of why certain contacts are listed as metacontacts and others aren't. Perhaps it has something to do with the way they were added? But I would think that this wouldn't be persistent, and would have "reset" upon clearing out all the Adium files as I did for a fresh install.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:30 pm

It's a matter of how contacts are handled within the Adium code: if you have (now or in the past) two accounts which have the same contact listed, a metacontact is created for their combined information (even though in the vast majority of cases they will have identical information). This is only obvious because of a bug in the Get Info window which is showing you the 'contact' column even though it shouldn't, actually.

Please use the current Adium debug build and post (or [url=http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/evands email me], if you prefer) the complete debug log of starting Adium, connecting, and finding that one or more contacts are missing. Please let us know the name(s) of the contact(s) who are missing so we know what to look at in the debug log.
The duck still burns.

--

ralphthemagician
Harmless

Postby ralphthemagician » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Okay, so I turned off nicknames and such so it will be easier to follow.

Here is what the contact list looks like when it starts up:

Here is what it looks like after I toggle view with Shift + Command + H to correct the issue:

So you can see most of the missing contacts. Some that are online would otherwise be missing (that is, if they were offline they wouldn't be shown as offline).

I have three debug logs for you. They aggregate over time. The first one is me starting Adium while holding down shift. The second one is me logging in to my AIM account. The third one is me using Shift + Command + H to toggle hidden contacts and correct the bug.

Hmm. Won't allow RTF of TXT extensions. I will email you the debug logs.

ralphthemagician
Harmless

Postby ralphthemagician » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Also, is the information for metacontacts stored in an Adium file, created on the fly, or part of the Address Book? If I wanted to reset my metacontacts, how would I do that? If they are stored somewhere within Adium, I would have thought that deleting the Application Support folder would have reset it.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 am

Metacontact information is pulled from the Address Book live and is also stored within Adium's preferences in the Application Support folder. To disable the AB portion, you'd need to disable 'Consolidate contacts listed on a single card' in Prefs->Advanced->Address Book
The duck still burns.

--

Return to “Adium”