GTalk video in Adium?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
gferreroferri
Harmless

GTalk video in Adium?

Post by gferreroferri »

Hi,
I've just heard the news from GTalk integrating video and audio. It is said in an article that they are using standards such as XMPP, RTP, and H.264. I am wondering if this could be integrated into Adium in a near future.
G
meandcat
Frappa

Re: GTalk video in Adium?

Post by meandcat »

I just had the exact same idea. Google released a browser plugin that handles all of the signaling and media capturing, e.g. the tasks that the Adium team is working on for quite a while now to make Voice and Video possible through Adium. That plugin is accessible through Webkit to offer Voice and Video transfer inside GMail's webinterface.
Since Adium also uses Webkit for the rendering of it's chat windows, wouldn't it be a rather simple task to access the plugin through Adium's interface? It sounds like it could safe the Adium team a lot of work and time, letting Google's plugin do all the 'dirty work' and just offering the interface for it instead of programming the whole stuff from ground up.
But then I think the actual question is not if it would technically be possible, but if it would legally be possible: Adium's and Google's licenses might be incompatible (or most likely are incompatible).

I'm really curious to hear what the Adium devs think of that latest Google developments.
bleaus
Muffin

Post by bleaus »

When I saw the blog posting on Google about this today I immediately wondered when/if this would be implemented in Adium. I'd love to hear from the Dev's if this is possible or not.
David Munch
Grandé

Post by David Munch »

Its being discussed on the dev-mails at the moment. Don't get your hopes up though. ;)
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:
zerock
Crema

Post by zerock »

David Munch wrote:Its being discussed on the dev-mails at the moment. Don't get your hopes up though. ;)
hope is the last thing that can be lost.. :P
DarkAkira
Harmless

Post by DarkAkira »

I think the gchat working in adium would be nice as well. I personally love the new feature.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

Anyone extremely interested in the reactions could have a look at the mailing list archive.

In any case, I think V/V (Voice/Video) support in Adium is still far off.