Adium CPU usage problems

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ajm
Harmless

Adium CPU usage problems

Postby ajm » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:51 am

I've found two situations recently that provoke excessive CPU usage from Adium.

The first is simply logging in to facebook chat. This wasn't always the case, but now I can't log into facebook chat without using up about 100% of one core. Furthermore, some other processes experience elevated usage, which vanish as soon as I log out of facebook chat. I've attached a screen cap of these processes.

Second, there is an issue when my network connection drops and Adium tries to re-log itself back in. The Milk icon usually shows a login process, with an ellipsis cycling; sometimes this process catches and the animated icon hangs with only the first dot lit. When this happens, it can use 100% of both cores.

Both hangs immediately overheat my machine, which makes me concerned for those users who don't run some sort of menu meters and wouldn't be able to tell if the process hung or know what to do about it.

I'm using an Intel 2.33 Core 2 Duo on an MBP and 10.5.6.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (12.94 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Adium CPU usage problems

Postby evands » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:15 am

The 'syslogd' CPU usage is probably because something is being logged to your Console (which turns out to be a fairly expensive process). That should only happen when a program is recording something going wrong, typically... try loading up Console (from /Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and seeing what there is to see when this is happening.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

ajm
Harmless

Postby ajm » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Good point. I've had trouble with syslogd before, but then it was that process using the processor capacity, and this time it's Adium itself using most of the capacity.

The Console shows about a hundred messages a second that say the following:
1/10/09 3:07:46 PM Adium[392] Error Domain=org.brautaset.JSON.ErrorDomain Code=3 UserInfo=[xxxxx] "Unrecognised leading character"

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

I believe you might be seeing the issue reported in ticket #11257.

Return to “Adium”