Notification when a user signs in?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
mattcooper
Harmless

Notification when a user signs in?

Postby mattcooper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 am

Hey Guys
Just want to take a quick second to thank you for a wonderful application. Great work! :smt041

Now my quick question. I'm using Adium just for MSN chat only at this point in time and noticed when a user signs in I don’t get a visual notification on who that is.

I know there is a application called growl that does something like this however I don’t want to install any other applications.

Is there a feature I can switch on in Adium to see the users name in a popup or some visual form when they sign in?

Regards
Matt

David Munch
Grandé

Re: Notification when a user signs in?

Postby David Munch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 am

If you install Growl, yes. Otherwise, no. Thats what Growl is for you know...
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

mattcooper
Harmless

Postby mattcooper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 am

Hey David
Thank you for the reply. Thats a shame that I have to install other peace of software to get a full experience out of Adium. I did notice I can display limited characters of text above the ducks head when a user signs in. However when that user has a silly long user name (Normally a snippet of song lyrics) then its impossible to know who just signed in without going into the application.

Why is the software written this way?

Regards
Matt

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 am

Growl is included with Adium; you could think of it as a component of Adium that happens to need to run separately (so that users don't have to reconfigure certain aspects of notifications for each app that supports them). We could certainly duplicate Growl's functionality within Adium, but that would just make things bigger for no real gain that I can see.

mattcooper
Harmless

Postby mattcooper » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am

Hey Catfish_Man
Thank you for that explanation. I guess because I’ve been a Windows user since I was knee high to a grass hopper I get a terrible feeling when running to many applications and integrating certain programs with the OS shell Growl for instance. It just comes from Windows “sorry”.

Is there any future plans to have the dock display the full user name that signs in? I really want to stay with Adium but feel this feature is crucial for my day to day IM needs :-( without installing growl.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 pm

At the moment the only plans I have for the dock code relate to how it works internally. I can't speak for anyone else though. Also, just to clarify, Growl doesn't actually integrate with the "OS shell" (not sure what that would even be on OSX); it just runs a regular background application that growl-using apps send notification requests to.

mattcooper
Harmless

Postby mattcooper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Catfish_Man wrote:At the moment the only plans I have for the dock code relate to how it works internally. I can't speak for anyone else though. Also, just to clarify, Growl doesn't actually integrate with the "OS shell" (not sure what that would even be on OSX); it just runs a regular background application that growl-using apps send notification requests to.

Hey Catfish
Thanks! Oh sorry about the comment about growl. I saw a screenshot of Growl running in a system preferences window along side standard OS X default settings and assumed it integrated itself into the system.

Return to “Adium”