msn-pecan and Adium

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
markes
Muffin

msn-pecan and Adium

Post by markes »

msn-pecan has recently recieved great updates and I wonder if there a chance to get in implemented to Adium officially.
for example 'not ultra-slow' file transfers, custom emot. sending, recieving handwriting, etc. msn support really screams for those.
there some info on author's blog.
David Munch
Grandé

Re: msn-pecan and Adium

Post by David Munch »

Theres definately a chance, since we have been using MSN-pecan before in Adium, and one of the lead-devs of MSN-pecan is active on Adium-devl mailinglist.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

David Munch wrote:Theres definitely a chance
I doubt it.
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

If it's possible for it to be compiled as a plugin for pidgin, it's possible for it to be compiled as a plugin for Adium.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

"Officially"? I mean would you consider compiling that plugin, zac?
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by zac »

No, it would have to go on the Xtras site (or anywhere else). It wouldn't be any different than the current implementation.
David Munch
Grandé

Post by David Munch »

Robby wrote:
David Munch wrote:Theres definitely a chance
I doubt it.
Based on what? (I havent followed the discussions on devl-mail)
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by Robby »

I remember that a number of developers regretted switching back and forth. I think the advantages would really have to be huge for a change to be considered again.
markes
Muffin

Post by markes »

• Faster log-in
• Fewer connection issues
• Fewer crashes
• Experimental direct connection support (fast file transfers)
• Server-side storage for display names (private alias)
• Support for handwritten messages (read-only)
• Support for voice clips (receive-only)
• Support for Plus! sounds (receive-only)
• Option to hide Plus! tags
• Send custom emoticons (Pidgin >= 2.5)

That's copy-paste from the website. Curently the progress has been good, so having less issues and normal file transfers (not experimental) should be quite convincing?
Dimmuxx
Crema

Post by Dimmuxx »

markes wrote:• Faster log-in // Correct but this is because it uses an older version of the protocol which doesn't send as much data.
• Fewer connection issues // Not really, there are some cases where either only libpurple or msn-pecan works though.
• Fewer crashes // More crashes than libpurple in Adium and one of the reasons why it was dropped in 1.3.2.
• Experimental direct connection support (fast file transfers) // Does this really work for anyone? I don't think it's enabled in any official builds.
• Server-side storage for display names (private alias) // Libpurple supports this.
• Support for handwritten messages (read-only) // http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/393 the patch need more work to be accepted in libpurple but it was added in msn-pecan.
• Support for voice clips (receive-only) // http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/393 the patch need more work to be accepted in libpurple but it was added in msn-pecan.
• Support for Plus! sounds (receive-only)
• Option to hide Plus! tags
• Send custom emoticons (Pidgin >= 2.5) // Libpurple supports this, Adium doesn't have a gui for it though.
markes
Muffin

Post by markes »

OK, that mostly concludes the topic:)

Lets hope there's something for 1.4.
felipec
Harmless

Post by felipec »

Dimmuxx wrote:• Faster log-in // Correct but this is because it uses an older version of the protocol which doesn't send as much data.
So? It provides all the features and boots faster, what's wrong with that?
That being said, we have plans to move to newer protocol versions, but only when the implementation is good enough so that it doesn't send all that unnecessary data as libpurple does.
That would negatively impact user experience, wouldn't it?
Dimmuxx wrote:• Fewer connection issues // Not really, there are some cases where either only libpurple or msn-pecan works though.
That's easy to say. Do you have any evidence that supports that claim? My evidence is based on the connections fixes I've done in msn-pecan, and also because msn-pecan uses a better networking library, GIOChannel, and and hopefully soon GNIO, as opposed to nothing.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Fewer crashes // More crashes than libpurple in Adium and one of the reasons why it was dropped in 1.3.2.
Bugs get fixed, you know? I'm fairly confident that the main crashes that people experienced in Adium are fixed in 0.0.19.
In any case, Adium developers were pretty clear on the primary reason for switching back: it's part of libpurple, and requires less effort for them to maintain.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Experimental direct connection support (fast file transfers) // Does this really work for anyone? I don't think it's enabled in any official builds.
It was working, but then it got broken, but then it's fixed again... it will be on 0.0.20 (next version), probably working better than ever before.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Server-side storage for display names (private alias) // Libpurple supports this.
Now, yes, but msn-pecan had been providing this feature long before.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Support for handwritten messages (read-only) // http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/393 the patch need more work to be accepted in libpurple but it was added in msn-pecan.
Read that thread, they have never mentioned anything about "more work needed", they just ignored the ticket without any hint as to what should be done next, last reply was 9 months ago.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Support for voice clips (receive-only) // http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/393 the patch need more work to be accepted in libpurple but it was added in msn-pecan.
That ticket link is incorrect. In any case, if don't think Pidgin devs provided any valid reason.
Dimmuxx wrote:• Send custom emoticons (Pidgin >= 2.5) // Libpurple supports this, Adium doesn't have a gui for it though.
That's why it's not listed in the advantages of msn-pecan over libpurple.
Dimmuxx
Crema

Post by Dimmuxx »

felipec: Any eta on msnp16+ and being able to login from multiple locations at the same time? That's a feature that I really want at least.
felipec
Harmless

Post by felipec »

Dimmuxx wrote:felipec: Any eta on msnp16+ and being able to login from multiple locations at the same time? That's a feature that I really want at least.
No, there's no ETA. It's in my plans, but I plan to make the move to msnp13+ incrementally, without breaking support for msnp12. We already some infrastructure in place, that's why we have oim, even though they only work on msnp13, we still need some work on that, then address-book (done properly, no rushing), then authentication, then we are ready.

In any case, the way features get implemented in msn-pecan is you create an item in our issue tracker and people vote on it. The more votes the more priority. It doesn't make sense to work on a feature only one guy wants, right?

Right now the biggest priority is fast file transfers, so that's where I'm concentrating.
David Munch
Grandé

Post by David Munch »

felipec wrote: Right now the biggest priority is fast file transfers, so that's where I'm concentrating.
Oh... That would definately be a nice feature... :)

Vinxi
Harmless

Post by Vinxi »

Can you PLEASE do a build of Adium with this library? :cry:
dfiloni
Harmless

Post by dfiloni »

Vinxi wrote:Can you PLEASE do a build of Adium with this library? :cry:
Done:
http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20270