IRC and Mention

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ActingRude
Harmless

IRC and Mention

Postby ActingRude » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 am

I have two issues/requests
1) When opening IRC there are about 6 bots that send a quick message to me, and apparently each opens in a separate chat for some reason... This isn't the case when I open linkisus or my other IRC clients. Is there a way to fix this? Or is there a way to ignore a user on login or something? It gets irritating. Also related to this, is there a way to disable opening the main channel for the server and just open the channels I want?

2) Highlight/Mention... i have some thing entered in mention, and it alerts me in growl, but is there a way to highlight the line in which the word(s) were mentioned? I noticed it says in the mention description that it does highlight them... and I made sure I changed the appearance to allow highlighting, and so that it would show up in my color sceme. But nothing...
Thanks
-Disney/ActingRude

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: IRC and Mention

Postby Catfish_Man » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:35 am

The second issue is a matter of message style. Currently only yMous (that I'm aware of) supports highlights, but others are in development.

stemcel
Harmless

Postby stemcel » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm

What about the first issue? Is there any way to suppress those? Currently if I connect to an irc server I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 Growl messages:

Example after just connecting to irc.irchighway.net

3 messages from 'global':
global
(notice) [Logon News - Apr 04 2004] Attention: Please do NOT click on URLs that unknown people send you and remember to report all spammers to #abuse.
(notice) [Logon News - Mar 18 2005] Your host is being checked for open proxies. Please disregard connections to ports like 8080 or 3128.
(notice) [Logon News - May 01 2009] We have recently setup our own webchat. It is still in the beta test phase but is open for the public. A nice feature is the ability to integrate it with your own website. You can find it at http://webchat.irchighway.net and if you have any questions you can get assistance in #help

4 messages from 'nickserv':
nickserv
(notice) nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
(notice) please choose a different nick.
(notice) If you do not change within one minute, I will change your nick.
(notice) You are already identified.

1 message from 'lagserv':
lagserv
Received CTCP 'LAG' (to stemcel) from LagServ

1 message from 'pingserv':
pingserv
Received CTCP 'PING BottlerTest PleaseIgnore' (to stemcel) from PingServ

I saw the ticket about the infeasibility of implementing an IRC console in Adium (rather than in libpurple), but is there any other workaround that might get rid of these messages without losing the ability to receive important messages from the server?

Dominus
Muffin

Postby Dominus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:37 am

You can't fix the global one, these are messages you are supposed to receive but they might go away when you fix the nickserve message.
Nickserv tells you exactly how to fix it. The nick you are using on this network has been taken and registered with nickserv by someone else. So you should enter a new default name for that network and if you want to keep it and you visit that network more often, register it with nickserv.

lagserv and pingserv I haven't encountered before...

Edit: just tested irc.irchighway.net and since my nick wasn't taken I didn't receive the nickserv message. Got the others, though. In the chat window you can right click either pingserv or lagserv and "block" that "user" and that seems to work for me. BUT you shouldn't do that with global since this one will give you informations on the server you are on and if you block it once you might have blocked it for every network...

Return to “Adium”