Updating Stockholm to highlight Twitter mentions/@replies

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
rosefox
Harmless

Updating Stockholm to highlight Twitter mentions/@replies

Postby rosefox » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi all,

I love Stockholm and have been using it as my Adium style for eons. I'd like to update it to highlight Twitter mentions/@replies; it's no fun to scroll through 300 messages looking for the two that mention me by name. I poked at the CSS a bit but can't figure out how to implement styles based on message classes. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rose
Ask me about my vow of silence.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Re: Updating Stockholm to highlight Twitter mentions/@replies

Postby mathuaerknedam » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Updating Stockholm is likely to be complicated. There's overlap between classes used in the style and the classes that Adium would automatically assign, so at the very least, all existing classes would need to be renamed (I'd prepend "x-"). Then there's the issue of how to highlight the messages. Depending on how the highlighting should look, Stockholm might require a significant overhaul just to add this feature.

Please try using yMous to see if it highlights everything you think should be highlighted (I'm not a big twitter user). The important factor here isn't *how* it highlights, but *if* it highlights. If it's not highlighted in yMous then Stockholm probably won't be able to do it without changes in Adium itself.

That said, I think all message styles that ship with 1.4 *need* an overhaul just to modernize them with everything 1.4 offers. I'm currently working on an update for Smooth Operator and yMous, but I believe all of the currently bundled styles originally appeared on adiumxtras.com. It might be best for the original author to make the changes, so I'd suggest that you leave a comment on the style's Xtra page. Once I've completed my top two priorities, I may have time to to update others, but I'd rather not kidnap someone else's baby. :)
Matthew

rosefox
Harmless

Postby rosefox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 pm

I know it's possible for an Adium style to highlight mentions, because Blackened does it:

http://adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=xtras&xtra_id=6557

So maybe the reverse engineering should come from that end: rework Blackened to use the images and other elements of Stockholm rather than updating Stockholm to use the message classes of Blackened.

Thanks!
Ask me about my vow of silence.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:47 pm

That would be even more work.
Matthew

rosefox
Harmless

Postby rosefox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:00 pm