Snow Leopard Compatibility

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
dmbarlow
Harmless

Snow Leopard Compatibility

Postby dmbarlow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Do we have any word on whether the current versions Adium (stable & beta) will run under 10.6?

I notice a fair few applications (Syrinx, et cetera) are updating with a note that the new version is compatible with SL, as well as the usual bug/security fix notes.

It would put down the worries of ( I suspect ) a good number of users if we knew one way or the other before tommorrow.

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Snow Leopard Compatibility

Postby Catfish_Man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 am

Adium 1.4 (currently in beta) contains a good number of Snow Leopard fixes. Currently the only issues I'm aware of are a difficult to reproduce font issue, and the dictionary popup (ctrl-cmd-d) causing crashes.

1.3.6 will still run fine (and contains many of the same fixes), but may have a few issues. I haven't run 1.3.x in a while, so I'm not certain.

xiamenese
Latté

Postby xiamenese » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 am

Catfish_Man wrote:Adium 1.4 (currently in beta) contains a good number of Snow Leopard fixes. Currently the only issues I'm aware of are a difficult to reproduce font issue, and the dictionary popup (ctrl-cmd-d) causing crashes.

1.3.6 will still run fine (and contains many of the same fixes), but may have a few issues. I haven't run 1.3.x in a while, so I'm not certain.

Could you be a bit more specific about the font issue, please? Is it truly random or does in affect certain specific fonts? Do you have any information on whether it affects CJK fonts — concerns me — or RTL fonts?
I am planning to upgrade to 10.6 but if that is going to throw up problems, particularly in the area of CJK — one can always use another Roman font, even if it is not one's preferred option — then I'm going to have to think carefully.
Thanks

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:16 pm

As far as I know it hits all fonts, but only in Adium. Basically the sizing gets way off in the webkit message view in Adium... for a while. Then it goes away and never comes back, which makes it hard to debug.

xiamenese
Latté

Postby xiamenese » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Catfish_Man wrote:As far as I know it hits all fonts, but only in Adium. Basically the sizing gets way off in the webkit message view in Adium... for a while. Then it goes away and never comes back, which makes it hard to debug.

OK thanks. If I notice anything toward, I'll let you know.

userla
Harmless

Postby userla » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:07 pm

I have this font issue. It's strange. My outgoing font is always a bit off (either smaller or larger or a different font). I see it in most of the themes I use. I thought I was going crazy.

Hyperslurpie
Harmless

Postby Hyperslurpie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:59 am

I am also having a problem with fonts in that the outgoing message font is displayed as my actual font and not the one that was set in the message style. I wouldn't really call it a problem as much as I'd call it me being picky, but I hope it's something that is looked into. I don't know if anyone else is having this issue.

bkirby
Harmless

Postby bkirby » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:12 am

What do you mean by "actual font"? I'm having this issue too, but I don't know where there is any other font setting except for the message style.

I use DarkChat, and have it set to the default Lucida Grande 13. But all the outgoing messages appear in Arial instead.

--
Bill

Hyperslurpie
Harmless

Postby Hyperslurpie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:34 am

bkirby wrote:What do you mean by "actual font"? I'm having this issue too, but I don't know where there is any other font setting except for the message style.

I use DarkChat, and have it set to the default Lucida Grande 13. But all the outgoing messages appear in Arial instead.

--
Bill

The message style I use is "smoothseperatelines". I usually have the display font set as Lucida Grande 11, while my actual font for messages is Helvetica 12. However, since installing Snow Leopard the font displayed is now Helvetica 11 and only Lucida Grande 11 when I set my message font to Lucida Grande 12.

andypau
Harmless

Postby andypau » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 am

I am seeing the same issues.

I have tried both 1.4b9 and 1.3.6, as well as removing my .plist file and it is still the same.

Here are two screenshots showing the issue:

The first one here shows a Chat Window with the old message text and three lines of "New Message" after I have typed it into the Composition pane.

The second one shows the same Chat after I close the Window and open it again.

jystickman1
Harmless

Postby jystickman1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:37 pm

There seems to be a Snow Leopard specific problem with SSL and XMPP/Jabber logins. On 10.5.x, I can log in fine. On 10.6, I get failures with Error: SSL Handshake Failed. Confirmed with a few other folks so I'll log a bug.

meandcat
Frappa

Postby meandcat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 pm

I am experiencing a problem with my MobileMe account: After logging in with Adium 1.4b9/Snow Leopard my Avatar disappears. When i login again using another client or even Adium 1.4b9 under Leopard it reappears.
I guess this could be the same bug this guy is referring to, although i'm not quite sure what he means: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20830

i haven't tested if this happens with standard AIM accounts aswell, it's very likely though..

robey
Harmless

Postby robey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 pm

The font problem is kind of annoying. Anyone have a workaround? The best I can do is set the display font to Arial, which is the font it's always using for outbound messages -- that way at least they look the same.

obfuscode
Harmless

Postby obfuscode » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm

It's a global font change in Snow Leopard. It's not associated with Adium. Apple introduced TTC files as a replacement for the now deprecated DFONT archives. Some of the TCC fonts conflict with your existing fonts. You can rectify the problem by going through your Font Book program and removing duplicate fonts (hit Cmd-i to show font details - you can see if it's a .ttc file).

I had to manually go through all my fonts on both of my Mac Pro's to rectify the font problems. Also, Microsoft Office installs it's own set of fonts as well. And don't forget you have fonts in both the Computer and User accounts that can conflict. I moved all my User fonts into my Computer folder (in Font Book) and then in Font Book Preferences I set my default install location to Computer.

Hope this helps.
- Jace

Einkoro
Harmless

Postby Einkoro » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Experiencing the same font problem with messages. :(

Edit: Whoops, missed the last post. Thanks obfuscode, going to try that now.

Edit 2: No luck. No duplicates/conflicts. Looks like it defaults to Helvetica because its the first dfont it finds and Lucida Grande is now ttc. Unfortunately it will not let me disable the new Lucida Grande and use an old dfont version. :(

lytener
Harmless

Postby lytener » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 pm

This is what I'm seeing. I get a weird highlight and modified text after Snow Leopard update. I've resolved the text sizing issue by Show Message Fonts, but while composing an IM my text is highlighted. I attempted to change the background but it never works.

Flickcm
Harmless

Postby Flickcm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am

I get this exact problem as well and was wondering if there is a fix for this or if the issue is to new

lytener
Harmless

Postby lytener » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:41 am

lytener wrote:This is what I'm seeing. I get a weird highlight and modified text after Snow Leopard update. I've resolved the text sizing issue by Show Message Fonts, but while composing an IM my text is highlighted. I attempted to change the background but it never works.

Hi all,

Some people have PM'd me asking what theme and message style I use. It's called Adium HUD v2. Like I said, there are some font problems we are all experiencing since Snow Leopard, but if you still want to install it here are the links to them. The contact list portion is working perfectly. Links:

1. This just for the contact lists: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16788165
2. This is for the actual messaging style, only install the msg style: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16783440
3. The service extensions I can't remember where I got them. Check out http://www.lifehacker.com.
4. Check the bottom screen for settings to get a nice rounded feel. The one thing you don't get natively is the font I use which is a Helvetica Neue (extended), which is very easy on the eyes. You can try a regular Helvetica or Myriad Pro (what Apple uses on their advertisements).

If you follow the instructions to the word, you should have problems. If you break your Adium, you just have to reinstall it. That simple. Have fun. Props to gnome who made the theme and Hirogen who made the msg style.

Cheers,

Lytener

Here are some additional pictures:

Settings:

lytener
Harmless

Fix for 'Not Seeing Text' bug

Postby lytener » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:13 am

***UPDATE TO THE USER FIX FOR NOT SEEING YOUR OWN TYPING***
Got this from: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=536587

In addition to Following these steps:

1) open /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/FormattingDefaults.plist
2) set Default Text Color to 255,255,255
3) DELETE Default Background item.

Do these steps as well (fixes it for users on the other end who see white on white):

4) Edit ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Formatting.plist
5) change Default Text Color to 0,0,0

This will set your outgoing font color to black, but you will VISUALLY see your font color as white.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks, lytener! =-)

Return to “Adium”