Contact List icons stretched and off-center

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Brad
Muffin

Contact List icons stretched and off-center

Postby Brad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:13 am

This is an old bug that appears to have never been fully addressed. I posted it a long time ago at the Old Forums™ and am resurrecting it here because I still encounter it daily.

When a buddy uses a non-square icon, Adium distorts it in the contact list, stretching it into a square shape. However, Adium uses the correct shape and size in the info window and tooltip.

See relevant picture:

Also note the unusual gap above the 'm' icon and that the bottom is actually cut off (the bottom sites of the 'm' should be angled, as in the info window and tooltip).

Brad
Muffin

Postby Brad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:15 am

I didn't notice it at first, but the very next icon is also distorted, but this one doesn't appear to be offset horizontally instead of vertically (which makes sense from the shape):

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:39 am

The distortion in image 2 is likely caused by the simple fact that changing images to non-standard sizes [not the original size] (as when one resizes them for the contact list, at whatever size) is that it must be re-interpreted with whatever is there... thus the system can only do so much with what is available.

I could be wrong, but that's my best guess (interpolation issues due to resizing == distortion/fuzziness)
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Contact List icons stretched and off-center

Postby evands » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:31 am

Brad wrote:This is an old bug that appears to have never been fully addressed. I posted it a long time ago at the Old Forums™ and am resurrecting it here because I still encounter it daily.

Interesting - I believe we addressed this a while back and I remember testing some cases that didn't work before but did after the fix. Could you post the actual buddy icon involved here (you can drag it out of a message window or copy it from the Get Info window and paste it into Preview or whatever)?
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Brad
Muffin

Postby Brad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:42 am

Isn't there some way to get the actual size of the image, though? Clearly the info and tooltip are.

So, how about using this pseudocode for resizing each icon correctly in the contact list? :)

Code: Select all

double realIconSizeRatio = realIconWidth / realIconHeight;

int listIconWidth = (realIconSizeRatio < 1) ? (int)(prefIconSize * realIconSizeRatio) : prefIconSize ;
int listIconHeight = (realIconSizeRatio > 1) ? (int)(prefIconSize / realIconSizeRatio) : prefIconSize ;

int listIconMinYCoordinate = (int)((prefIconSize - realIconHeight)/2);
int listIconMaxYCoordinate = listIconMinYCoordinate + listIconHeight;

int listIconMinXCoordinate = (int)((prefIconSize - realIconWidth)/2);
int listIconMaxXCoordinate = listIconMinXCoordinate + listIconWidth;

Brad
Muffin

Postby Brad » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:45 am

Sorry, that was a reply to bgannin.

Here are the two icons copied from the info window and saved from Preview:

http://www.project-think.com/images-3/a ... d%201.tiff
http://www.project-think.com/images-3/a ... d%202.tiff

ryandesign
Harmless

Me too

Postby ryandesign » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:55 pm

I also experience this issue, and will be monitoring this forum posting in anticipation of the solution.

Return to “Adium”