Adium2WebAndBack (Web interface for Adium chats)

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
AssetBurned
Muffin

Adium2WebAndBack (Web interface for Adium chats)

Postby AssetBurned » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 am

Hi,

I just uploaded the stuff I made. Hope you will have some fun with it. I know there are some bugs, but at the moment it is more like a proof of concept. If you are interested in it, leave a feedback. And if there are more people interested in it (then just me) I will spend some more time for it.

The Adium2WebAndBack Xtra page.

As long as the Xtra isn't approved, I offer the ZIP as attachment of this posting.

cu AssetBurned
Attachments
Adium2WebAndBack 0.0.3.zip
Version 0.0.3 of Adium2WebAndBack
(69.34 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Last edited by AssetBurned on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AssetBurned
Muffin

Re: Adium2WebAndBack (Web interface for Adium chats)

Postby AssetBurned » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:16 am

I just updated the file on the Xtra page.

This is new in the 0.0.2 version:
Installer script added is added, it will do everything which is necessary to get the packet to work. Except the settings inside of Adium. You still have to select the Applescript for the new message Event manually.

I also fixed the problem with privileges of the folder where the PHP has to write a file. Simply by using the installer script.

Everything can now be placed everywhere in ~/Sites, but if you change the name of the folder or move it somewhere. Then you have to remember to tell Adium the new location of the necessary script and you have to reattach the right folder action.

It shouldn't crash anymore right after getting the first message.

You are now able to talk to yourself and it can handle more than just one chat at a time. Both are basically related to the same problem, which is now solved.

And an index.html is now created to display all the current chats

bye AssetBurned
ps. still nobody interested? so many peoples are reading this topic and no reply :???:

dmbarlow
Harmless

Postby dmbarlow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I like this idea very much.

Even if not an app, a web based solution is a step in the right direction.

xiamenese
Latté

Postby xiamenese » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:17 am

AssetBurned wrote:You are now able to talk to yourself and it can handle more than just one chat at a time. Both are basically related to the same problem, which is now solved.

And an index.html is now created to display all the current chats

bye AssetBurned
ps. still nobody interested? so many peoples are reading this topic and no reply :???:

Hmm ... I don't know why I would want to talk to myself through IM ...

And then maybe many people are like me and use IM+ on the iPhone/Touch, which handles more than one chat at a time, from the same or different networks ... mine being MSN and GTalk ... and if you want it has push technology, so even when you are not actually running the app at that moment, I understand it will register incoming messages through Safari.

Don't want to pour cold water, but ...

Mark

AssetBurned
Muffin

Postby AssetBurned » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:53 am

The talking to yourself part via IM was a simple ... lets say glitch. I have several accounts in the same network and there is also the fact that you can talk from an ICQ to an AIM account. There was the situation when I thought "Uh what happens if i try to talk from one of my accounts in network A to another account in the same network or in another network?". Adium allows you to combine several accounts to one (via the address book cards) support this. Why shouldn't my script support it as well? I placed it on my "nice and maybe later"-list and was able to solve it with something from my "that is fu**ing important"-list. And every problem solved from a list is worth to be mentioned somewhere ;-)

Adium also supports more than just one chat at a time, also on different networks. So does my script packet. The reason why I wrote "you shouldn't use it if you get several messages at a time" is, because I really don't know how much CPU load the scripts generate and how the whole stuff performs in general. And I only had the chance to test it with AIM and ICQ.

I tested it for my purposes. And they are simple. I have a short list of people who I really want to answer ASAP if they want to talk to me. So I tested the whole stuff with only one chat partner at a time. And after I fixed a bug I went to just 2 persons. It should work even with more, but hell you never know. That's why I want to get some feedback ;-)

The idea of IM+ is good but absolutely nothing I like. First of all I have to trust them that they keep care of my personal IM usernames and passwords. I guess they do, but that is nothing I like to count on.
Secondary there is no way to sync the logs between IM+ and Adium. And If I change the device, that I use to chat with someone, I would like to have the chat history.
The point with the push notifications, right. I guess it's something far more complicated maybe It will come as well, maybe not. To be honest that wasn't on my radar. So I didn't spend a second to read up something about that. But I guess it need an app for the Touch, and i didn't wanted to write an app for the touch.
That brings me to my final point.
The whole stuff was more like a "Why the hack are they talking about this crap for 3 Fu**ing years? That should be solvable in far less then that. Not that perfect, but at least some sort of Proof of Concept!" Everyone was talking about and I haven't even seen a single line of working code for this project.
So I just did what I did.
If someone likes it , good. If someone doesn't like it, also good. If it is a help for somebody, even better. And if someone want to give me a feedback for all this, perfect :-)

AssetBurned
Muffin

Postby AssetBurned » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm

i guess there are some people who are interested to get this file. I placed a ZIP in a german forum http://www.macuser.de/forum/f8/adium-vi ... ce-490473/ so have fun playing around with it, and please write some feedback.

AssetBurned
Muffin

Postby AssetBurned » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 pm

hm 140 hits just for this topic. I guess there is a demand.
OK here is the ZIP of 0.0.2 :-) And please write a feedback.

edit: Download in the first posting of this topic!

AssetBurned
Muffin

Postby AssetBurned » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:18 pm

0.0.3 has push notification ;-)

Check first posting for the download.

Return to “Adium”