★ New artwork for Adium? ★

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.

Which icon set do you prefer?

The current set that one comes with Adium 1.3.10 and 1.4b18
8%
The set presented in this thread.
92%

Total votes: 12

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

★ New artwork for Adium? ★

Postby Robby » Mon May 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Dear guys and gals,

two weeks ago Adium user Dmitry Borzenkov emailed the developers mailing list bringing up the idea of replacing Adium’s current set of toolbar icons by some Bogdan Mihaiciuc (bogo-d.deviantart.com) had created (http://bogo-d.deviantart.com/art/Adium- ... -161226504).

I liked quite a few of them and I do think Adium’s looks could use a refresh in that area so I contacted Bogdan and we discussed the icons.

Specifically, the icons are for
(1) Adium’s preferences, the Get Info panes,
(2) the toolbar of the chat window and
(3) the toolbar of the Transcript Viewer
as you can see in the screenshots below.

What do you think of these icons? Are they better than the current ones?
Any constructive criticism is very welcome!

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: ★ New artwork for Adium? ★

Postby Robby » Mon May 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Edit: Revision 3 (newest update) is to be found on page 2 of this thread.

Revision 1
Preferences and Get Info panes
Chat window
Transcript Viewer

dexbz
Harmless

Postby dexbz » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 pm

First of all, I'm very happy somebody has taken on the challenge of creating some new Adium icons. The current ones are definitely getting a little old. I do have a few suggestions and opinions that I'd like to share. :)

- http://dexter-m.de/d/Preferences%20Window.png : I would go with something a little more obvious at first sight, perhaps this.

-- To be continued --

dexbz
Harmless

Postby dexbz » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 pm

- http://dexter-m.de/d/Chat%20Window.jpg I think those two need a little tweaking. Perhaps use a round icon for File Transfers, as 'Info' and 'Transcripts' are also both round, perhaps something like this. As for the Link, the current icon wasn't something that immediately made me associate it with a URL. I was thinking more along these lines. Again, just some suggestions and thoughts on the otherwise great work. Keep it up! :)

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Excellence :)

Rich::

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I personally like the ones we have currently, that display the duck.. :/ Edit: Like the Accounts-icon, or General-icon.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

d235j
Harmless

Postby d235j » Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I think the new ones are an improvement. But please keep the duck!

iynque
Harmless

Postby iynque » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 pm

PS- After some editing, my post should be okay now!
----

I like them all, unless otherwise noted...
(images for quick reference: proposed NEW on TOP, existing on bottom)

Preferences >
>Personal - The original address book card is more to-the-point and encompasses what the pane is about. The polaroid suggests the pane is only about setting a personal photo, or maybe setting up a photo album, not a name or profile (as polaroids don't have names and profiles).
>File Transfer - Should have a two-way arrow, as long as we're changing it anyway.

Chat Window >
>Source/Destination - I like this as a static icon, but shouldn't this be a service icon showing the currently active service?
>Send File - This is good, and the arrow is pointing up only (upload). It should not be the same at the Preferences > File Transfer icon, which should have arrows pointing both up and down.
>Transcripts - I would normally favor an existing icon for consistency, like Safari's History icon.... but this new one is better and the metal-looking clock suggest more of a "vault" feeling, storing all the old things. ...just a comment... I would use this new one.

Chat Transcript Viewer >
All good, IMHO! The timestamp icon is an especially nice improvement as far as visually communicating what it does.

Buddy Info >
>Events tab - The Events icon from the Preferences doesn't scale well at all. I couldn't understand immediately that the bell from the preferences had been turned upright and morphed into an alarm-type bell instead of a service bell. I would say just replace the idea of a bell here with a yellow triangle sign with an exclamation point. These events are related to the events in preferences only in that they are categorized similarly. They are not the same thing though, so they do not necessarily need the same icon; one is global events, the other is 'local' or singular events. They do not need to mentally paired, as they serve separate functions, and the yellow triangle sign would not be a new symbol people have to learn (most people associate that symbol with some form of "ATTENTION!" and these events are by definition giving that person special attention).
---
EDIT:
Original Poster (rob, via IRC chat): "The 'Message Alerts' icon is already yellow with an exclamation mark in it."
Me: "Well, good point. I suppose mine isn't the best solution then, but the currently proposed one doesn't work either. It looks like an unidentifiable golden bubble and doesn't immediately read as a bell (I didn't understand it at all until I looked back and saw the new Events preferences icon was a similarly-colored bell)."

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Thu May 20, 2010 8:14 am

Preferences >
>Personal - The original address book card is more to-the-point and encompasses what the pane is about. The polaroid suggests the pane is only about setting a personal photo, or maybe setting up a photo album, not a name or profile (as polaroids don't have names and profiles).

As mentioned up above, I like the old one better. I like that the Adium duck is in the icon.. :)
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

David Munch wrote:
Preferences >

As mentioned up above, I like the old one better. I like that the Adium duck is in the icon.. :)

I LOVE the new ones, but I will also keep the old "address card"

H!T
Latté

Postby H!T » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

To be honest it doesnt seem updated to me it just seems like an alternative version so i would be fine with keeping it the same or changing it.

biglittledragoon
Crema

Postby biglittledragoon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 pm

djmori wrote:
David Munch wrote:
Preferences >

I LOVE the new ones, but I will also keep the old "address card"

+1

And I might keep the old "Appearance", by nostalgia… I like the feather idea.

I especially love the new "Events" of the first link.

We could use a poll to see opinions?
Knowledge MUST be shared!
La Connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée!

My X(tras)
Image The French Team on Twitter

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks for your feedback, folks, keep it coming! =-)

I finally have some updates for you addressing many of the issues you and others brought up.

Revision 2

Preferences → Advanced pane
Changes
- new "Confirmations" icon
- improved "Default Client" icon: Adiumy more like Adium's default dock icon

--------------------------------------------------

Preferences toolbar
Changes
- Improved "Personal" icon: resemblance of an address book card
- Improved "General" icon: Adiumy more like Adium's default dock icon
- Use of the "Events" icon which was preferred by most people
- Improved "File Transfer" icon: indicates upload/download

Preferences → Events pane
Changes
- New icons

Chat window
Changes
- Improved "Emoticon" icon
(ignore the modified chat window, while I think it isn't bad it is not part of this artwork update presented here)

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm

iynque wrote:<snip>
Chat Window >
>Source/Destination - I like this as a static icon, but shouldn't this be a service icon showing the currently active service?

Not a bad idea. As I already told iynque in #adium, this has been requested before: http://trac.adium.im/ticket/11337.

biglittledragoon wrote:<snip>
We could use a poll to see opinions?

Was it the "Events icon" you wanted to have a poll for, BLD?

biglittledragoon
Crema

Postby biglittledragoon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 am

I suggested a poll for all this subject, not particularly about the event icon.

BTW, I like this icon:
Event.gif
Event <3
Knowledge MUST be shared!
La Connaissance ne vaut que si elle est partagée!

My X(tras)
Image The French Team on Twitter

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Okay, I will setup a poll in the near future. First, though, I need some more comments. =-)

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:38 pm

If you only replace one icon, PLEASE replace the emoticon icon. It's almost as rubbish as Proteus 4's!

Rich::

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

You mean the current one?

I think the new one is better, yes. I would like to see all icons updated for consistency so I am very interested to hear what you folks don't like about this new revision of icons.

I have now added a poll. =-)

Son of a Preacher Man
Crema

Postby Son of a Preacher Man » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 am

I'm really happy this is getting some attention. A consistent style would definitely enhance Adium's feeling of quality, and I'm a fan of these.

There are just four icons I'm not so keen on, personally.

• The Events icon really doesn't work for me. It's a very cute icon, and better than the current one, but doesn't seem like a good fit. Admittedly, Events is a pretty abstract concept, but I think I'm with iynque in preferring a standard alert-type black-on-yellow exclamation mark.
  • Partly because of that, perhaps the Message Alerts icon under Advanced could reuse the old idea of an exclamation mark in a message bubble? But updated to match these lovely icons. :)
  • I think I preferred a silhouette in the Mention icon to an arrow. The arrow reminds me more of a "reply"-type action, whereas a silhouette conveys the "talking about a person" concept quite clearly (even though I didn't like the style of the old icon much). Not a big deal though.
  • The Link icon doesn't seem very link-y. Horrible as it is, a chain icon is at least moderately well accepted as a link.

Don't get me wrong: I like the pack, and I'd love to see it in Adium even if those changes don't end up getting incorporated. I particularly enjoy the Send Notification, Messages, Status and Emoticons icons. (I'll miss the feathers for Appearance, but the new one is okay.)

Also, a few really minor points:

• The large and small Transcripts icons feel a pixel short compared to the Info and Emoticons icons.
  • There seem to be a couple of variations in the File Transfer icon; I prefer green up arrow, blue down. Also, the file transfer icons in Events probably need both arrows on them too. I'm sure you're getting to them, though.
  • The blue on the Personal icon is perhaps a touch too strong (low contrast with the silhouette), but I like the address card angle better than the polaroid. Might it look better a couple of pixels wider?

Great work, I hope it goes in.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 am

These are very helpful comments, Andy, thank a lot! =-)

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:I'm really happy this is getting some attention. A consistent style would definitely enhance Adium's feeling of quality, and I'm a fan of these.

Same here. I'm glad this set was brought to our attention.

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:<snip>
  • The Events icon really doesn't work for me. It's a very cute icon, and better than the current one, but doesn't seem like a good fit. Admittedly, Events is a pretty abstract concept, but I think I'm with iynque in preferring a standard alert-type black-on-yellow exclamation mark.
  • Partly because of that, perhaps the Message Alerts icon under Advanced could reuse the old idea of an exclamation mark in a message bubble? But updated to match these lovely icons. :)

I suppose badging the "Messages" icon for the "Message Alerts" one would make sense.
I think the reason why Bogdan and I didn't go for "black-on-yellow exclamation mark" for "Events" is that we thought it was too strong whereas a bell is more subtle. I would associate an alert more with a warning than with "Events" (an action that is executed following a certain event).

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:
  • I think I preferred a silhouette in the Mention icon to an arrow. The arrow reminds me more of a "reply"-type action, whereas a silhouette conveys the "talking about a person" concept quite clearly (even though I didn't like the style of the old icon much). Not a big deal though.

Now that you say it, I would agree that the arrow doesn't really say much. The silhouette seems a good idea.

• The Link icon doesn't seem very link-y. Horrible as it is, a chain icon is at least moderately well accepted as a link.

Agreed.

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:Don't get me wrong: I like the pack, and I'd love to see it in Adium even if those changes don't end up getting incorporated. I particularly enjoy the Send Notification, Messages, Status and Emoticons icons. (I'll miss the feathers for Appearance, but the new one is okay.)

Interesting. I like the "Send Notification" icon but some think it's not very obvious.

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:<snip>
  • The large and small Transcripts icons feel a pixel short compared to the Info and Emoticons icons.

Well spotted. I think we need to fix that.

• There seem to be a couple of variations in the File Transfer icon; I prefer green up arrow, blue down. Also, the file transfer icons in Events probably need both arrows on them too. I'm sure you're getting to them, though.

This was actually done purposely. iynque suggested it. The Preferences '"File Transfer" icon should indicate transfers going both ways (sending/uploading, receiving/downloading) whereas "Send File" is uploading.

• The blue on the Personal icon is perhaps a touch too strong (low contrast with the silhouette), but I like the address card angle better than the polaroid. Might it look better a couple of pixels wider?

I vaguely remember bringing the intensity of the blue colour up when chatting with Bogdan. I fail to recall why we didn't change it.
As for the width of the icon, I already mentioned that speaking to him before I added the new mockups here in the thread so I think he is working on that. =-)

Son of a Preacher Man wrote:Great work, I hope it goes in.

I'm happy you like it. You can put your vote in, too, at the top of this thread.

Return to “Adium”