Best alt video chat with Adium

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Dewdman42
Muffin

Best alt video chat with Adium

Postby Dewdman42 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:31 pm

I understand Adium does not support video chat yet, sadly. What is the best alternative you guys have come up with to use Adium for yahoo chatting, but still be able to video chat somehow? What I have to do now is use Adium and then when someone wants to video chat, I log out of adium and into Yahoo messenger and video chat, but of course yahoo messenger sucks, it doesn't have all my saved notes about each contact, including my own nickname for them, I have to remember their actual yahoo profile id in order to find them. Everything about YM sucks, but I have to use it to video chat when requested. I wish there was a yahoo plugin for Adium or something for video chatting.

What else are some of you doing to handle this sort of thing? I guess I can request them all to install skype if they want to video chat with me. Skype has way better video quality then yahoo anyway.

thoughts?

Simba Cub
Crema

Re: Best alt video chat with Adium

Postby Simba Cub » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:40 pm

For video chat, you simply can't beat iChat.

Rich::

Dewdman42
Muffin

Postby Dewdman42 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Most of my chatmates are on PC's using Yahoo. So iChat is not really an option.

I have been able to talk a few of them into installing skype though just for chatting. The skype plugin for adium is actually pretty good. Skype has to be running at least I can add their contacts to my adium list and chat with them in adium (while chatting with other people too in adium), and then the skype video window pops up when its time to video chat. Its actually quite good quality video too.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm

There is (or was?) a code library called libyahoo2 which supported Yahoo! webcam. If it's not totally defunct, maybe the Adium team could integrate it?

Rich::

Return to “Adium”