Font size in 1.4b19

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
refuso
Harmless

Font size in 1.4b19

Postby refuso » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Guys,

I've just updated to the latest beta version and I've been unable to change the font size in message windows. After updating the client, the font was automatically enlarged (without me modifying it). I'm using MSN as my protocol. I've tried multiple different fonts and font sizes (as well as bold / italics etc) and the fonts within the message windows do not change from this enlarged font that displayed after updating. I reinstalled the normal version of Adium and confirmed that fonts would change OK there, and then reinstalled the beta to be sure it was the update (and not something I've done) that caused the issue.

I'm running OSX 10.6.4.

Has anyone else came across this? Is it happening for all protocols? Are there any known workarounds?

Cheers,
Refuso

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Font size in 1.4b19

Postby zac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 am

Which message style do you use? MANY of them received updates for b19.

refuso
Harmless

Postby refuso » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 pm

The message style I'm using is:
Stockholm - Blue on Green

The fonts I've tried are:
Default (Lucida Grande 11)
Tahoma (10)
Arial (10)
Helvetica (10)

The font seems to change when you type it into the input box (although it doesn't look like the fonts I've chosen, it's just different to the Default), but the output size is still the same in the message box. I've also noticed with Tahoma and Helvetica that the output font displays as bold too, when bold isn't selected. The output size and the font face seem to stay the same as Default.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 pm

There's nothing in Stockholm (or any other bundled style) that assigns a fixed font size. Do you see this problem with any of the other bundled message styles? What about other styles that have been downloaded from adiumxtras.com?

Do the font sizes change when you change them in the messages pane of the preferences window?
Matthew

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Speculation: could this issue be related to:
- http://hg.adium.im/adium-1.4/rev/f1a416077965
- http://hg.adium.im/adium-1.4/rev/a5688ca3fdf9

These are the only font-related changes for 1.4 I can remember.

Edit: but apparently, there's others:
http://hg.adium.im/adium-1.4/log?rev=font.

Ksilebo
Harmless

Postby Ksilebo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:00 pm

I was seeing this right after I updated. Once I changed my message style/variant to something else, then back to minimal_mod, I was able to change settings normally.

refuso
Harmless

Postby refuso » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now I'm more awake I've done some more testing (and paid more attention) I need to apologise - it's not Stockholm it's Renkoo that I'm using.

I left the font preferences pane open while trying out different fonts. I would open the fonts pane from the normal menu rather than from the message window; change the font, close it, and reopen it. The font I changed it to remained in the preferences window. I then typed a test message (pic attached) and the font window font changed to Helvetica (12) once the message was sent. It looks like all messages I'm sending via the Renkoo style are coming through as Helvetica (12) font.

I repeated the above using the font preferences via the message window, and the same thing occurred.

I've just repeat the above using a couple of different styles (Minimal_Mod & Gone Dark) and the problem doesn't occur. I also noticed when flicking through different font faces in the preferences pane, it would update the font in the open message window to the one highlighted at the time in the preferences (as it previously used to). It looks like it's something specifically to do with Renkoo.

Sorry for the confusion - and if you need any more things testing just let me know =)

Cheers,
Graham
Attachments
Renkoo.png

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:22 pm

It looks like there's a CSS loading issue that I should be able to fix for the next beta.
Matthew

refuso
Harmless

Postby refuso » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I've just been playing around some more - I changed the style one at a time to each of the built in ones (starting from the top of the list working down), and then reverted back to Renkoo after each change. When I changed it from Smooth Operator back to Renkoo, the font sizes in Renkoo corrected themselves and is now working as it should...

Cheers,
Graham

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 pm

To recapitulate:
using Renkoo and after updating to b19
- the font was enlarged (to 12 from?)
- no matter which font you selected Helvetica 12 was shown?

Caifo
Harmless

Postby Caifo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 am

Same problem here!

I'm using the Stockolm message style, customized, and I am unable to change the font or size, even if I edit manually the plist.

Thanks!

xiamenese
Latté

Postby xiamenese » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:09 am

Using Minimal_mod, Blue vs Black, Optima Regular 12 ... no problems at all. :grin:

Edit: On first re-opening, I did have to reset the font and the colour combination, but the former worked instantly and the latter when I closed Adium and re-started it ... not unexpected.

rubah
Harmless

Postby rubah » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:27 am

This was the first thing I noticed when I downloaded b19.

The font size can be changed via Messages: Text Display, but the size displayed seems to be 1pt smaller than the size set.

For example, when my font is set to Arial Narrow 12 pt, and my contact is set to Arial 10 pt, as I use the "minimum font size" in the advanced message options, the jump from minimum size of 8pt -> 9pt changes nothing, as expected, but the jump from 9pt -> 10pt increases my contact's font size, implying that it was being displayed as 9pt, instead of 10. Increasing from 11pt -> 12pt increases my font size, implying that was being displayed as 12pt instead of 11.

These experiments were conducted using minimal_mod theme.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Caifo wrote:I'm using the Stockolm message style, customized, and I am unable to change the font or size, even if I edit manually the plist.

Customized in what way? What plist did you manually edit?
Matthew

Caifo
Harmless

Postby Caifo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Font and background changed only.

I've tried editing the plist inside the .AdiumMessageStyle bundle with no luck.

I ended up going back to 1.4b18.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Caifo wrote:Font and background changed only.

Where did you change the font and background? In the .AdiumMessageStyle bundle? Where is the customized version located?
Matthew

Caifo
Harmless

Postby Caifo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Yeah, it's in my user/Library/App support/Adium folder.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Caifo wrote:Yeah, it's in my user/Library/App support/Adium folder.

That will cause problems if you haven't customized the values for cfbundleidentifier and cfbundlename (in info.plist).
Matthew

drp
Harmless

Postby drp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 am

I think I'm also seeing this, with h4x0r2 (variant 'Original') and Monaco 9 as the font.

h4x0r2 uses a fixed width font; visually, the displayed font is compressed, with a gap between the nick/handle and the message; it appears to be Monaco 9 when pasted with style into an editor, though.

Return to “Adium”