Message style feedback

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Message style feedback

Postby Robby » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Finally, for 1.4b19 we've added the updated message styles by mathuaerknedam from http://hg.adium.im/xtras/mathuaerknedam/.

In this thread we'd like to collect feedback on the changes. =-)

peeloo
Harmless

Re: Message style feedback

Postby peeloo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the update.

I was first a bit lost with the new blue ribbon on the right of the message line - screenshot: http://twitpic.com/2qc43s - but it was easy to understand after a few back&forth on the tabs.

The large icon, when someone speak you name, on chatroom is excellent too.
Would it be customizable? different icons depending on a regexp on the chat line?

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

There's no way to use different "mention" icons for different "types" of mentions.
Matthew

jcheshire
Harmless

Postby jcheshire » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:36 pm

...would have been nice to not automatically change my message style. I'm having a helluva time finding the precise combination of styles I had before, since it was well over a year ago. *grumble*

Alphab
Harmless

Postby Alphab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:57 pm

I second that, not great that the message them as been changed.

But even worse, it seems there is a bug: I use the message style Stockholm, with the Orange - Icon alternate version. At first, it seemed all the variant looked the same that the standard Stockholm theme.
But when trying out one of the other style and selecting Stockholm again, I get something very different!

How do I get my old style back?!?

It's unfortunate, but for all the bugfix beta 19 brings, the key point for me is I don't like the way it looks anymore :(

Thanks for you help in advance.
Attachments
after.png
After
Before.png
Style I had before and that I want back...

ranathari
Harmless

Postby ranathari » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Looks like a message style bug has been introduced.

You can't select any Stockholm message style other than Blue-Gray. All the choices are still in the list but clicking on them has no effect, the message style selection within the list never changes from Blue-Gray.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 pm

alphab:

Your pic that's labeled "Style I had before and that I want back..." is Mockie, but your comment text says that you use "Stockholm, with the Orange - Icon alternate". "Stockholm, with the Orange - Icon alternate" doesn't exist, but Mockie does have a variant "Orange - Icon alternate". The Stockholm variant in your pic is Orange - Green. Considering that you contradict yourself, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what the problem is. Could you please describe it again?
Matthew

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:22 pm

ranathari wrote:Looks like a message style bug has been introduced.

You can't select any Stockholm message style other than Blue-Gray. All the choices are still in the list but clicking on them has no effect, the message style selection within the list never changes from Blue-Gray.

Please try changing to a different message style and back to Stockholm. Does that resolve the issue?
Matthew

Alphab
Harmless

Postby Alphab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Changing to a different style and back to stockholm indeed allow me to selct its variant but somehow, the style is now very very different from the stockholm I knew and loved (see screenshots i nprevious post).

Any way to get it back to simple flat colours?

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:56 am

Stockholm has never been flat. See http://www.adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=x ... ra_id=1760 for a screenshot of a previous version.

However, Mockie is the flat style in your pic. See http://www.adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=xtras&xtra_id=17 for a screenshot of a previous version (modified, with different colors).
Matthew

chimerical
Muffin

Postby chimerical » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 am

With message style: Minimal_Mod (Pink vs Blue)

http://imgur.com/knxJq.png

Notice the random row of vertical stripes. This appears and disappears seemingly randomly.
Also, this isn't pictured, but the line height of multiple lines of text between each horizontal divider seems to have been reduced.

Also, while we're on the subject of message styles, is there a way to copy IM window text to the clipboard such that it doesn't end up like this (with the timestamps all out of order):

John
john is saying something here
11:14:08 PM
Mary
mary is saying something here
and here
and here
11:15:02 PM
John
john responds
and again
and again
11:15:59 PM

The current workaround is to open the chat transcripts and copy from there, but that's not ideal if you're copying an excerpt to share with someone quickly in another IM window.

ThisIsSilly
Harmless

Postby ThisIsSilly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:23 am

The greyed out old messages in 4.0b19 are hard to read. The reason for having old messages is so that it is possible to read them. Making them greyed out makes it clear that they are old, but also makes them very hard to read. I'd like to have the previous format back, where old messages have the same format as new ones. If a way of separating old messages from new ones is really necessary, placing a thin horizontal line between the old and new messages would work just fine.

Also, I get blue vertical lines on some of my messages. They seem to disappear if I message a different user, then switch back. But I have no idea why they are there, what their function is, or how I can get rid of them. They don't currently provide useful or understandable information.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am

Which style, ThisIsSilly?

Alphab
Harmless

Postby Alphab » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

Mockie it is!
Oh dear, sorry for my confusion, but thanks mathuaerknedam !

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:27 pm

chimerical wrote:Notice the random row of vertical stripes. This appears and disappears seemingly randomly.

The vertical stripes (an extension of the dotted line between each message) is applied to messages that are received when the chat does not have focus.

chimerical wrote:Also, this isn't pictured, but the line height of multiple lines of text between each horizontal divider seems to have been reduced.

Yes, and the space after the sender has been increased. Now the space between each message matches the space between the sender and first message.

chimerical wrote:Also, while we're on the subject of message styles, is there a way to copy IM window text to the clipboard such that it doesn't end up like this (with the timestamps all out of order):

John
john is saying something here
11:14:08 PM
Mary
mary is saying something here
and here
and here
11:15:02 PM
John
john responds
and again
and again
11:15:59 PM

The current workaround is to open the chat transcripts and copy from there, but that's not ideal if you're copying an excerpt to share with someone quickly in another IM window.

That *is* the workaround, and there's isn't a better way to do it. To the best of my knowledge, this is an apple bug.

However, when I look at the example messages above, it looks lik all of the timestamps are actually in order, from first to last. It also looks like they are adjacent to the correct messages, rather than message1-message2-time1-time2, or something odd like that.
Matthew

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:37 pm

ThisIsSilly wrote:The greyed out old messages in 4.0b19 are hard to read. The reason for having old messages is so that it is possible to read them. Making them greyed out makes it clear that they are old, but also makes them very hard to read. I'd like to have the previous format back, where old messages have the same format as new ones. If a way of separating old messages from new ones is really necessary, placing a thin horizontal line between the old and new messages would work just fine.

You're using minimal_mod? This should have improved from b18 to b19. In b18 message history was actually slightly lighter (60% vs 62%) and historical senders were the same grey. In b19 senders retain the same colors as current messages to make it easier to identify different senders.

ThisIsSilly wrote:Also, I get blue vertical lines on some of my messages. They seem to disappear if I message a different user, then switch back. But I have no idea why they are there, what their function is, or how I can get rid of them. They don't currently provide useful or understandable information.

These are focus indicators. See my previous message to chimerical for an explanation.
Matthew

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm

jcheshire wrote:...would have been nice to not automatically change my message style. I'm having a helluva time finding the precise combination of styles I had before, since it was well over a year ago. *grumble*

We're trying to track this down. Could you please spell out which your previous style was and to which it was falsely changed?

rubah
Harmless

Postby rubah » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:43 am

The "new unfocused message" highlighting is illegible [and not really a good default. I have no interest in it myself] in minimal_mod. It wrecks havoc with OSX's text smoothing especially in certain fonts.

The muted old conversation colors looked buggy at first, and only greying out self-messages makes it inconsistent to parse. Instead of darkening, it might be better to desaturate instead.
An example with Pink vs. Blue

Pink
this is old text
Blue
this is also old text

Pink
this is active text
Blue
this is active text

chimerical
Muffin

Postby chimerical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

This is my sentiment too. I use the minimal_mod theme with the "pink vs blue" variant, and the names of all previous day IMs in the conversation window are darker than the ones in the current part of the conversation. It makes more sense to have them more faded than the active pinks and blues.

rubah wrote:The "new unfocused message" highlighting is illegible [and not really a good default. I have no interest in it myself] in minimal_mod. It wrecks havoc with OSX's text smoothing especially in certain fonts.

The muted old conversation colors looked buggy at first, and only greying out self-messages makes it inconsistent to parse. Instead of darkening, it might be better to desaturate instead.
An example with Pink vs. Blue

Pink
this is old text
Blue
this is also old text

Pink
this is active text
Blue
this is active text

chimerical
Muffin

Postby chimerical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 pm

For the headers at the top of the message windows ("Conversation started at 9:11:16 AM on Thursday, September 23, 2010"), could we explore an adaptive date format like what Finder in OS X does in the "Date Modified" columns? In Finder, if the column is wide, it's formatted as "Thursday September 23, 2010 9:11 AM", and then shrinks to shorter forms as the column is resized:

Resizing a column in Finder:
"Thursday September 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"September 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"Sep 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"9/23/10 9:11 AM"

This would reduce cases of wrapping of this text into a two-line header, which is more likely in beta 19 now that the format by default is much longer.

Return to “Adium”