MSN not receiving messages

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
mrlinus
Harmless

Re: MSN not receiving messages

Post by mrlinus »

I've experienced the exact same kind of problem as the topic starter, but with Facebook chat (XMPP) instead of MSN. I realized this when I logged on to Facebook and could find all the answers I wasn't receiving in the webpage built-in chat function. At the same time another user I was chatting with received MSN messages about 4 hours after I've sent them. No idea if it's related, but I guess it might indicate that the error isn't MSN unique.

I've switched client and haven't experienced the same problem since, which is sad since I really love Adium.
citric
Harmless

Post by citric »

On versions 1.3.x I sometimes got a timeout error message when sending via MSN but it wasn't all the time.

This new issue is persistent though and very annoying. The only thing I have noticed is that the messages seem to get through while in an active conversation but don't if left idle for a number of minutes.
AriaPictures
Muffin

Post by AriaPictures »

using 10.5.11 and NO GROWL!!! despise growl.

still happening.

I am waiting for Digsby to be completed for the Mac. although love Adium... I am tired of running two apps to get my messages.

MSN and Adium.
I did it, I sawed the legs of the periodic table.
AriaPictures
Muffin

Post by AriaPictures »

citric wrote:On versions 1.3.x I sometimes got a timeout error message when sending via MSN but it wasn't all the time.

This new issue is persistent though and very annoying. The only thing I have noticed is that the messages seem to get through while in an active conversation but don't if left idle for a number of minutes.
just saw that and the same thing here.
citric
Harmless

Post by citric »

In fact, it's not just messages that stall: when someone tries to send a small attachment, it doesn't alert either as I've found out today.
red jane
Harmless

Post by red jane »

i have the same problem, sometimes messages from my MSN contacts just don't reach me it's kinda boring :(
Reto
Harmless

Post by Reto »

same problem over here. People contacting me do not get a time out message that the message might be lost!
suffered similar problems with other versions, except in older versions people got the time out messages!!

Have this problem since about a year... as it seems only with msn
dunc85
Harmless

Post by dunc85 »

Just wanted to add that I'm also experiencing this problem.

Adium 1.4.1
Connect via HTTP checked
Mac OS 10.5.8
citric
Harmless

Post by citric »

Hopefully the Adium team can chime in on this as it's obviously not isolated.

It would be useful to know any users that *aren't* getting these MSN errors to see what configs/settings they're using...
citric
Harmless

Post by citric »

Do any of you guys have the MSN setting for 'Connect via HTTP' unchecked and still get the error?
citric
Harmless

Post by citric »

I've been testing all afternoon and if you uncheck the http setting, so far, I haven't had the error...

Can anyone else also check to see if this works for them and is a fix?
red jane
Harmless

Post by red jane »

I'm trying with the HTTP unchecked, i'll let you know...
Caifo
Harmless

Post by Caifo »

red jane wrote:I'm trying with the HTTP unchecked, i'll let you know...
I'm trying too. I hope it helps! It's very frustrating!
red jane
Harmless

Post by red jane »

i'm not sure it's different, but i've had less problems lately
c0rd0va
Harmless

Post by c0rd0va »

I just recently switched to mac and immediately began having these issues with adium and msn. However, I was also having some msn issues while using pidgin in the months preceding my switch to mac. So, I kinda thought this may be an issue bigger than adium. About a week ago I created a new msn passport account and since then I've had zero issues with adium. All messages are sent and received and no random disconnects.

My original msn account was very old (created it in 2001). It was a hotmail account and I haven't used it for anything except msn messenger for years and years. Just wondering if anyone else having these issues is using an old, basically non-functional email address.
AriaPictures
Muffin

Post by AriaPictures »

on a side note, that is somewhat related, I've been having to use MSN messenger 6.0.3 that has been working, not missing any messages, but today, it will not let me log in.

going to their site, I noticed that there is an update to 7, and they have a new version of office and messenger 8, which does voice and video chat on the mac now.

would this cause them to change their settings in how messenger works causing errors in older versions? it is microsoft...

still unable to view ALL messages on hotmail via adium...
AriaPictures
Muffin

Post by AriaPictures »

c0rd0va wrote:My original msn account was very old (created it in 2001). It was a hotmail account and I haven't used it for anything except msn messenger for years and years. Just wondering if anyone else having these issues is using an old, basically non-functional email address.
Have one of those but i use it and it wasn't until this new release of adium OR could be microsoft's new version of Office and Messenger 8, that I am having issues.

I have used Adium for the past couple of years now with my hotmail messenger account on EVERY DAY - ALL DAY chatting with 1 - 20 people from all over the world with out troubles until last month.
H!T
Latté

Post by H!T »

AriaPictures wrote:on a side note, that is somewhat related, I've been having to use MSN messenger 6.0.3 that has been working, not missing any messages, but today, it will not let me log in.

going to their site, I noticed that there is an update to 7, and they have a new version of office and messenger 8, which does voice and video chat on the mac now.

would this cause them to change their settings in how messenger works causing errors in older versions? it is microsoft...

still unable to view ALL messages on hotmail via adium...
actually ive tried to us microsoft messenger for mac 8's video function and it doesnt work at all for me to send or view. Either their programming is bugged or my computers messed up but if it is bugged i dont know how it would effect adium since adium already does some basic functions that microsoft messenger wont do *cough* offline messages *cough*

is it just me or does it seem that most people have more trouble on adium using msn accounts they either use more often or have more contacts in than other accounts of the same?? its just a hunch.
AriaPictures
Muffin

Post by AriaPictures »

H!T wrote: actually ive tried to us microsoft messenger for mac 8's video function and it doesnt work at all for me to send or view. Either their programming is bugged or my computers messed up but if it is bugged i dont know how it would effect adium since adium already does some basic functions that microsoft messenger wont do *cough* offline messages *cough*

is it just me or does it seem that most people have more trouble on adium using msn accounts they either use more often or have more contacts in than other accounts of the same?? its just a hunch.
I have been on the Messenger forums, since I cannot log in with messenger any more, odd, after 10 years of reliable service, when I needed it as I used Adium and before that was ... Fire ... to access my hotmail chat... anyway, apparently others are having issues with old versions and the newer 8 version with the same error. "Sign in to messenger failed because service is not responding...." error message. and it is not OS specific, meaning it happens on any MAc OS and any cpu, intel or not.

So MSN messenger is out of the question as well, so far, I am only able to chat with my hotmail contacts ONLINE with a browser logged into my hotmail account. this is so unacceptable since I have been using adium for more than 2 years without trouble and messenger app, for 10 years.

i have told all my hotmail friends to create a yahoo account, since yahoo has no issues, so far, and I am also recommending to the ADIUM developers to stop support for hotmail, since it is not working across the board and does not look like it will be fixed any time soon.

I still want to use ADIUM, it ROCKS, or does so for me, just the services they try to carry are the problems, I do not blame ADIUM for the MSN / hotmail issue -- it is a microsoft problem and business does not do well with problems, so the fix is, another service.
H!T
Latté

Post by H!T »

AriaPictures wrote:
I have been on the Messenger forums, since I cannot log in with messenger any more, odd, after 10 years of reliable service, when I needed it as I used Adium and before that was ... Fire ... to access my hotmail chat... anyway, apparently others are having issues with old versions and the newer 8 version with the same error. "Sign in to messenger failed because service is not responding...." error message. and it is not OS specific, meaning it happens on any MAc OS and any cpu, intel or not.

So MSN messenger is out of the question as well, so far, I am only able to chat with my hotmail contacts ONLINE with a browser logged into my hotmail account. this is so unacceptable since I have been using adium for more than 2 years without trouble and messenger app, for 10 years.

i have told all my hotmail friends to create a yahoo account, since yahoo has no issues, so far, and I am also recommending to the ADIUM developers to stop support for hotmail, since it is not working across the board and does not look like it will be fixed any time soon.

I still want to use ADIUM, it ROCKS, or does so for me, just the services they try to carry are the problems, I do not blame ADIUM for the MSN / hotmail issue -- it is a microsoft problem and business does not do well with problems, so the fix is, another service.
Both my hotmail and my live accounts log in alright actually on adium, microsoft messenger for mac and aMSN. my hotmail sometimes randomly logs out on adium and back in but its not a big deal. I would hate if adium didnt support it anymore since its what i mainly use now.