Bring back certain features in v.81!

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
batkinz
Muffin

Bring back certain features in v.81!

Post by batkinz »

Ok with every new version of adium there have been a lot of upgrades that i like but also a lot of changes that I don't like... I propose that the following be brought back:
1. In the file menu, put back the options to connect or disconnect your various accounts.
2. Take away the status menu, and put the away message selector back in the file menu as well.
3. On the appearance... the window settings make the bubbles(to fit) slightly larger, they are super small in this new release, hard to read w/ my color settings.

These are small easy changes, but in my opinion they would improve the adium application soooooooo much.

One other thing: My old version of adium used to display in the dock icon when it was away (the duck that is)... but no longer does that... what do i need to do to get that back?
Last edited by batkinz on Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

have you tried using the adium menu bar item, its loaded with features
FredAkbar
Crema

Post by FredAkbar »

1. This has been readded in the source, so it'll definitely be in .90, but I don't know if it will be (or has been) merged back into the .8x branch.

edit: mention of "4." removed, since the original poster removed it as well; see the post after this one by batkinz
Last edited by FredAkbar on Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fred / Adium X 1.2.7
20" iMac w/ Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz / 2 GB RAM / 256 MB Radeon X1600 / 250 GB HD / OS 10.5.4
FreeRice. Play a free vocab game on this ad-supported site to help fight world hunger.
batkinz
Muffin

Post by batkinz »

what exactly do you mean by the adium menu bar?... if you mean the menu bar at the top left that says adium... then mine has barely any features except links to the website for updates and Xtras, and the preferences window...

... Yea i just realized that you can make #4 happen in the current version under the status preferences... sorry about that.
Wengero
Crema

Post by Wengero »

i mean the little black duck in the top right corner of the menu bar
FredAkbar
Crema

Post by FredAkbar »

He said "menu bar item" meaning the item on the right-hand side of the menu bar (next to the clock, etc.) that looks like a black duck. The official term is menu extra. This item is useful because it can be accessed from any application. You can also use the Dock menu to quickly set a status.
Fred / Adium X 1.2.7
20" iMac w/ Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz / 2 GB RAM / 256 MB Radeon X1600 / 250 GB HD / OS 10.5.4
FreeRice. Play a free vocab game on this ad-supported site to help fight world hunger.
batkinz
Muffin

Post by batkinz »

Alright well yea i see that you can connect and disconnect via that method but i think it was a lot easier when it was in the file menu...
Son of a Preacher Man
Crema

Post by Son of a Preacher Man »

Ok, the answer to 1 is you now use the status menu, which I take it you don't like. The many new status options possible with 0.8 have to live somewhere, though! :)

As to 3, which release are you upgrading from? AFAIK the settings are the same in 0.8 as 0.77, but I could be wrong.

4. Use a standard window for your contact list and you get a little status selector. The old away window won't be making a return I'm afraid, it was felt to be at odds with the feel of the rest of the app. Besides, the new window has won as many, or more, fans than it has lost. Sorry.
lax4782
Latté

Post by lax4782 »

The issue with away and idle signs not in the dock in the current release are discussed in a couple other posts already. I'd check this one out...

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?t=2508
batkinz
Muffin

Post by batkinz »

I like the new away window... i just didn't initially know how to use it. As for the away status at the bottom...

What exactly do you mean by use a standard window for your contact list?
jstamos
Growl Team

Post by jstamos »

batkinz wrote:I like the new away window... i just didn't initially know how to use it. As for the away status at the bottom...

What exactly do you mean by use a standard window for your contact list?
If you use a non-borderless window, there is a status menu in your contact list.

The status menu was added to make Adium more compliant with multiple services and multiple accounts.
batkinz
Muffin

Post by batkinz »

oh... i never wanted a status thing in my window... i like how i can just put my mouse over their name to see their status.... that's fine. the main issues i have are the dock icon not working properly like it used to and the connection stuff i mentioned above.
danielsh
Harmless

Post by danielsh »

More than anything else, I miss "Set Idle". The "Appear Idle Immediately" function just doesn't work as well... it looks rather unconvincing to suddenly be idle for ten minutes, and I have to reset it every time I go away.

Also, the "State" menu doesn't have all of my custom away messages.
lax4782
Latté

Post by lax4782 »

danielsh,

Save a custom away with the appear idle immediately setting, but don't set it to 10 minutes. You can set that idle time to whatever you want.
Adam Iser
Crema

Re: Bring back certain features in v.81!

Post by Adam Iser »

batkinz wrote:2. Take away the status menu, and put the away message selector back in the file menu as well.
Not going to happen.
phil333
Harmless

Post by phil333 »

I miss that when I have a buddies window open and they go away, it says their away message that they put up in the buddy window. Now it just says they went away. I really don't like that.

I also miss that when I'm away, it used to say how long I was away for.

I also don't like that when setting a custom message, the default is me being "available" as opposed to away. Not many people put up custom messages for being available, usually for being away.
Adam Iser
Crema

Post by Adam Iser »

phil333 wrote:I also don't like that when setting a custom message, the default is me being "available" as opposed to away. Not many people put up custom messages for being available, usually for being away.
The default is away if you select the Custom... with the away icon next to it (Or press the Cmd-Y shortcut).
staticnz
Harmless

Post by staticnz »

the thing i miss the most is the "Connect All"/"Disconnect All" menu options.

If i had a few of my accounts online, i could previously use the "Connect All" option to bring the rest online. Now I have to set ALL accounts to offline, then bring them all back online again.
John Don
Frappa

Post by John Don »

danielsh wrote:More than anything else, I miss "Set Idle". The "Appear Idle Immediately" function just doesn't work as well... it looks rather unconvincing to suddenly be idle for ten minutes, and I have to reset it every time I go away.

Also, the "State" menu doesn't have all of my custom away messages.
There was something in the form and function of the old "Set Idle/ Set Custom Idle" that I miss in the 0.8 release. I used this feature very frequently in the pre 0.8 releases, but with the 0.8 release it seems to be more trouble than it is worth in terms of setting it up. Just call me old-fashioned, but I like the pre 0.8 simplicity better when it comes to the "Set Idle" feature. :?:

Edit: I guess it was because the old "Set Idle/ Custom Idle" seemed more temporary than adding it as a Status, which we have to do now. I always looked at the "Set Idle" as a temporary option anyway, not something worth having in the Status menu to select. Just my 10 cents, lol :)
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!
phlops
Harmless

Post by phlops »

staticnz wrote:the thing i miss the most is the "Connect All"/"Disconnect All" menu options.

If i had a few of my accounts online, i could previously use the "Connect All" option to bring the rest online. Now I have to set ALL accounts to offline, then bring them all back online again.
Not quite. Use the statuses in the Status menu (the status items at the top, don't root through your account submenus). These will change the available/away/offline for all online accounts just as you'd expect.
//phil dokas
//jetless.org