Can't use facebook

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
aventura
Harmless

Can't use facebook

Post by aventura »

Hi all

I'm new to Adium but cannot get my facebook account to work with correctly with Adium. I have searched the Trac and this forum and there doesn't appear to be any similar issues to this so perhaps I am just doing something wrong.

Anyway, what is happening is that I add my facebook account to Adium via the "facebook account setup" box, email & pass > Auth code from facebook > Name this login item. All goes well but in the end the box this happens in closes, flashes back up but just blank white, then closes and reappears back at the start of the process. To this end my Adium does not connect to my facebook chat so that I can use it. I do tick the box t remember my details and the account setup box starts every time adium tries to connect to my facebook account.

Any help wit this issue would be greatly appreciated!
iska
Harmless

Re: Can't use facebook

Post by iska »

Same problem here when I'm trying to Allow Access to facebook chat.
Running Adium 1.5.4 on OS X 10.8.2
Mahalo
iska
TommyPenner
Harmless

Post by TommyPenner »

Hi there, I'm having the same problem as well. Running Adium 1.5.4, OSX 10.7.5.

Same steps as the OP - add Facebook account via account setup, enter email and password, name new device. Screen flashes white, window closes.
NightHawkCA
Harmless

Post by NightHawkCA »

Having a similar issue, may well be the same as OP. Log in to FaceBook, seems to "go well" and then it closes the window and says in the Accounts page "Error: Not Authorized" for FaceBook. Wash-rinse-repeat, same result. Tried deleting prefs, rebooting, etc. v1.5.6b1 (3/4/13). Ermm -- please haaalp? OS X 10.8.2 here ...
onlineaddy
Harmless

Post by onlineaddy »

Adding myself to the list of people who can't get Adium to connect to Facebook Chat. I would go through the process of allowing access, seeing "Adium is authorized for Facebook Chat", and ending with "Requesting authorization...". Repeat.

Mac OS X 10.8.2
Adium 1.5.4

I didn't have this issue with another machine on Lion.

Please fix.
Quintonphoenix
Harmless

Post by Quintonphoenix »

The Adium site says that updating to OSX 10.8.2 fixes the problem :(
This is certainly not the case for me.
using Adium 1.5.4 and Facebook will not connect, jabber work around does not work either and all steps have been followed precisely.
OverSpun
Muffin

Post by OverSpun »

Apparently, somehow... since today-

Adium 1.5.5 can't connect to Facebook and it continuously asks-

"Enter Security Code"
You are being asked to enter a security code frequently — this may be because your cookies are being erased by your browser settings. You can turn off ‘private browsing’ or change your browser settings by following the instructions here.
Obviously, it sends me a text and it loops the same procedure but doesn't actually login. Failbook must be changing more junk, like always.

Anyone else?
Xsjado
Harmless

Post by Xsjado »

Same problem, blank confirmation page for Facebook, any news for it? Thanks
aventura
Harmless

Post by aventura »

Thought I'd add a link to the ticket that onlinedaddy has added to the trac:
https://trac.adium.im/ticket/16343

Also, please note that I am now running OSX 10.8.3 and adium 1.5.6 and this issue still occurs. Resetting adium also does not help, neither does reinstalling.

For now you can use Jabber login to use facebook: username@chat.facebook.com and set the server to: chat.facebook.com No SSL or TLS etc.

Hope this helps you guys and that this issue gets fixed soon!

Aventura
Xsjado
Harmless

Post by Xsjado »

Finally worked today!
liz4cps
Harmless

Post by liz4cps »

I'm having the same problem, it just started a couple days ago, after Xsjado reported theirs started working again. I wanted to try Jabber, but I don't see Jabber on the list of account types, which makes me feel blind, but even typing "J" to the menu doesn't find it.

Ok, Jabber has been renamed XMPP, so if you pick that type of account and follow the instructions from aventura above, it seems to work.

Such fun! Sigh...
Xsjado
Harmless

Post by Xsjado »

The Facebook mode works fine with me now, I didn't try the Jabber thing.
neorobert
Harmless

Post by neorobert »

Anyone still having this issue? Haven't been able to resolve it by removing/re-adding the account, or completely un-installing and re-installing Adium...

Running the latest adium/OS X 10.8 versions
fiffer
Harmless

Post by fiffer »

Just adding my voice to the chorus. Just upgraded to a new SSD and a clean install and since reinstalling Adium, have not been able to connect Facebook account at all. Previous machine/settings were working fine, the timing appears to have been coincidental, as the problem is obviously widespread.
darthbator
Harmless

Post by darthbator »

I am actually having the same issue. A circular loop of cannot authenticate errors. Is there a log file I should be looking at? Has anyone figured it out? Is it something in my facebook settings? I don't have any of their advanced security stuff turned on.
fiffer
Harmless

Post by fiffer »

Just an update to say I fixed this instantly with the jabber workaround mentioned upthread.
caboodle
Harmless

Post by caboodle »

Tonight my version 1.5.6 Adium suddenly stopped connecting to Facebook, too. Was working fine this morning, and I haven't changed anything on my Mac since then (Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo that's running system 10.6.8).

Looked at the account I have set up and used for a long time, and it's already set up with Jabber/XMPP with myusername@chat.facebook.com. It just...stopped working. Doesn't even look like it's trying.

I created a second account with Jabber and when I try to log in with it, it shows it's trying to connect and is "Authenticating 75%) and saying "connecting" in the status menu...

AAAch! This used to help me chat with friends and not have to actually SEE a Facebook page! :b Oh no!
legamp
Harmless

Post by legamp »

caboodle wrote:Tonight my version 1.5.6 Adium suddenly stopped connecting to Facebook, too. Was working fine this morning, and I haven't changed anything on my Mac since then (Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo that's running system 10.6.8). Looked at the account I have set up and used for a long time, and it's already set up with Jabber/XMPP with myusername@chat.facebook.com. It just...stopped working. Doesn't even look like it's trying.
exactly the same issue here. worked fine until yesterday. i can see contacts appearing at times, but only one at a time, and only until they log out again.
macguru
Harmless

Post by macguru »

Slightly different issue. My Adium (1.5.8 3/18/2013) connects to Facebook ok, but starting yesterday (4.23.2013) it is only displaying contacts as they login. After a few minutes they disappear. When I log into FB, the contacts are still logged in and accessible (I can chat with them). This is an annoying development, and wondering what is the issue here?

HW (MBP 15" late 09)
neorobert
Harmless

Post by neorobert »

Ditto - what MacGuru said.