Altering Adium's Use of Notification Center (AKA stop that)

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
williaty
Harmless

Altering Adium's Use of Notification Center (AKA stop that)

Postby williaty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm running 10.9.0 and Adium 1.5.8. Right now, each new incoming IM displays a Notification Center (I assume that's what's being used since I didn't install Growl) banner that contains the username of the person IMing me AND the content of the IM. I don't like this at all! I've used the System Preferences>Notification Center preference pane to remove all the options for Adium from the Notification Center, so at least it's not building a "log" in the NC tray thing that shows up on the right side of the screen. However, I can't find any way to silence the banner itself. The online documentation for Adium says I should be able to control this in Adium>Preferences>Events, but there's nothing there to allow me to adjust this.

Ideally, I'd like to have a banner that just shows the contact name. Barring that, I don't want a banner at all. The most important thing is that the content of the IM is never shown.

Am I just missing the option for turning this off?

Thanks,
Ty

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Altering Adium's Use of Notification Center (AKA stop th

Postby Robby » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think it is currently possible to just show the name but I'm not a programmer.

I'm always glad when people use the documentation. =-) https://adium.im/help/pgs/AdvancedFeatu ... tions.html explains which notifications system is used when by Adium.

Following the steps on the page about "Events" (https://adium.im/help/pgs/AdvancedFeatures-Events.html), you should be able to remove notifications from their associated events (like receiving a message in your case). The quicker way to stop visual notifications is to select the "Visual Notifications" preset (yes, that makes no sense at all, we are reviewing notification presets for Adium 1.6).

williaty
Harmless

Postby williaty » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Robby wrote:Following the steps on the page about "Events" (https://adium.im/help/pgs/AdvancedFeatures-Events.html), you should be able to remove notifications from their associated events (like receiving a message in your case). The quicker way to stop visual notifications is to select the "Visual Notifications" preset (yes, that makes no sense at all, we are reviewing notification presets for Adium 1.6).

After much testing and annoying my friends by IMing "ping" at them, the issue was Adium and I didn't agree on what Background Chat meant. Once I realized that all the banners popping up were from chats that didn't currently have focus, I found you guys handle two different Events depending on if the window has focus or not. In the non-focus/Background Chat Event, I found the Notification setting and eliminated it.

Thanks!

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Ah, that makes sense.

Return to “Adium”