Appearing offline for my Gtalk contacts

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Dache
Harmless

Appearing offline for my Gtalk contacts

Postby Dache » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 pm

For a few months now, it appears that for several (but not all) of my Gtalk contacts, I appear offline to them, even though we are able to talk to each other without issue.

For one of these contacts (who is also using version 1.5.9 of Adium on Mavericks), I appear online to them as soon as I start chatting to them.

With another contact, who is using Pidgin on Windows 7, I appear eternally offline. I've can fix this temporarily by right-clicking their name in the chat window tab and unsubscribing or cancelling my presence notification, and then re-authorising the contact, but this seems to get undone every single day. Both of us have deleted and re-added each other to our accounts, but this hasn't solved the problem.

The biggest issue with this is that I have no idea exactly how many people in my contacts list this is afflicting. For all I know, it could be most of them! However, I've also asked a few other people and they are reporting no problems seeing me online.

The only thing I wonder that may be having an effect on this, is that on weekdays when I'm at work, I log in to Gmail and sign into Gtalk through the webpage widget. Then I come back home and log in via my Macbook and Adium and I'm appearing offline to the Pidgin/W7 contact again.

Could a weird schism between Google's old Gtalk protocols and their newer Hangouts protocol be causing this? I can't tell if the problem is occurring via Google's servers or if it's Adium reporting my status wrongly somehow.

I'm using version 1.5.9 of Adium on OSX 10.9.1, so latest everything.

Return to “Adium”