Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
zmunkz
Muffin

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby zmunkz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Can any of the devs find the places in code where "Error reading from login.yahoo.com: Unknown error 0" is generated? Might give us a hint of what is going on, assuming as I think we must that login.yahoo.com itself is not broken.

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Am also having this issue on my imac on snow leopard, however, I also had the issue using yahoo's app for this computer this morning and changed the login to include @yahoo.com not just the user ID and that logged in, but that trick doesn't work on adium

KandiKane
Harmless

Postby KandiKane » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Just echoing the others.

I, too, cannot connect to Yahoo going on 4 days now. I thought it was just me until I saw this thread.
I get this error: "Error: Error reading from login.yahoo.com: Unknown error 0"

I can confirm that regular Yahoo messenger (from Yahoo) works fine.
Jitsi does, too. Instantly connects, even.
(Downloaded it for the first time today to compare connections)

Adium just spins and was making my Mac burn up.
Just downloaded the beta Adium1.5.10b1 and CPU is now normal, however, Yahoo still doesn't work.

Tried editing the account and trying a couple of suggested ports, but they all failed.
Hope someone discovers a fix. I've been using Adium for years and can't imagine using something else. :sad:

liz4cps
Harmless

Postby liz4cps » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 pm

I'm still having a lot of trouble connecting to Yahoo. Just now, I restarted Adium, and it connected more easily.

What I'm doing is bring up preferences and click on "accounts" and then checking and unchecking the Yahoo box until it connects or I give up. I usually leave the check mark on only for a few seconds as when it does connect, it's usually very quick. Occasionally, I leave the box checked for a lot longer and when the fan is too noisy, I clear the check mark again...

I agree with others that there's probably a change on the Yahoo side; perhaps it's a timing issue? Hope the libpurple people can figure this out.

djharris
Harmless

Postby djharris » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:14 am

Was this you, Robby?

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16170

If this is the same, we can all watch this ticket to see the pidgin team's progress, since it's not Adium-specific.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Yahoo messenger can't access Yahoo mail either, so it seems that the problem is with YAHOO
Last edited by BSDguru on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Can anyone translate the latest comment on the previously-linked bug report:

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16170#comment:2
"This can be closed. Issue was with host entries for scsa.msg.yahoo.com."

Does this mean that ticket was not related? Or is this suggesting a fix?

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

djharris wrote:Was this you, Robby?

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16170

If this is the same, we can all watch this ticket to see the pidgin team's progress, since it's not Adium-specific.

I edited the description, yes.

BSDguru wrote:Yahoo messenger can't access Yahoo mail either, so it seems that the problem is with YAHOO

Ah!

zmunkz wrote:Can anyone translate the latest comment on the previously-linked bug report:

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16170#comment:2
"This can be closed. Issue was with host entries for scsa.msg.yahoo.com."

Does this mean that ticket was not related? Or is this suggesting a fix?

I would reckon the reporter of the ticket got the impression that changing the login server to that fixes the issue which is not accurate but coincidence.

pegmonkey
Harmless

Postby pegmonkey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm having the same issue. I've tried the beta posted here as well.

One thing I did notice is that if I let Adium try to connect for a bit and it fails, then I try Jitsi immediately after quitting Adium, Jitsi gives me this error. "You have have been disconnecting and reconnecting to the server too fast. The following account: User name: xxxxxxxxxx, Server name: yahoo.com is temporarily banned and would have to wait a bit before trying to login again."

Perhaps Yahoo has changed their server timeout configuration. Maybe Adium isn't waiting long enough for a response before retrying?

pegmonkey
Harmless

Postby pegmonkey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:18 pm

I've tried with a second account, and Adium won't connect, but Jitsi will with no error. So the error I get with the first account using Jitsi does not apply to the second. So my observation with the first acount seems to be a random occurrence.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm just a user with no tech knowledge on this but am I correct this issue has been going on nearly 2 weeks and no one has identified with certainty what the problem is?

I can connect perfectly fine through Yahoo Messenger but due to an eye disorder the only chat program I can use for Yahoo is Adium, since it allows you to display light text on dark background without altering the entire computer display. I have used Adium through multiple versions for nearly 4 years now and never had one issue until this.

I have managed to connect at times simply by either changing my password on Yahoo or changing settings to gibberish in Adium and then resetting to the correct settings and poof it will connect for me. As soon as I log off for the day though and log back in the very next day it's a whole new nightmare of trying to get it to connect.

Again, I don't speak tech or know about the beta or whatever, I just need to be able to stay online in Yahoo due to my situation and have been unable to do so much of the last couple of weeks. Also, if Adium is having issues where it causes computers to run hot, isn't that a big liability? If I hadn't read that here I never would have suspected it was running hot as I didn't notice a fan noise or anything obvious.

lithe951
Harmless

Postby lithe951 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 pm

FYI I have two Macbook Pros, one running Mavericks 10.9.2 and one running Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and I've been an Adium user for many years. I connect to Yahoo IM, GoogleTalk and AOL, and only the Yahoo account is having a problem. I had problems with 1.5.9 on both, and the new beta has only fixed one. This problem just started a couple weeks ago.

Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Adium 1.5.9 - stuck "connecting" to Yahoo, never would connect, no error message, CPU normal
Adium 1.5.10b1 - CPU normal, tries repeatedly to connect, never does, with "Error reading from login.yahoo.com unidentified error 0" and changing to direct IP does not fix it, still broken

Mavericks 10.9.2
Adium 1.5.9 - stuck "connecting" to Yahoo, CPU spikes immediately to 150%+, disabling the Yahoo account and leaving the others connected drops CPU to normal
Adium 1.5.10b1 - all problems fixed, Yahoo logs in, CPU normal, runs great

So it seems the beta fixed the problem in Mavericks, but earlier OS is still a problem. Thanks for the hard work, really a great app. Let us know when the next beta is out fixing the earlier OS.

Mark

netofrombrazil
Harmless

Postby netofrombrazil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Mark,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

I am glad that everything is working.

When I wake up my laptop, Adium is not reconnecting. Could you please let me know if this is happening to you as well?

Thank you,

neto

lithe951
Harmless

Postby lithe951 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Neto,
On my Mavericks laptop, I have the same problem as you. The beta works fine until I put the machine to sleep. On wake, Adium does not reconnect to Yahoo. It DOES reconnect to the other services. Restarting Adium reconnects to Yahoo and it works again.

The Mountain Lion laptop never connects to Yahoo.

Mark

netofrombrazil
Harmless

Postby netofrombrazil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Mark,

Let's wait for a fix. :)

Thanks again,

neto

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 pm

No combination of betas or restarting is working for me still... is this issue being addressed on the Adium side, or is it decidedly with the libpurple guys? If so, where can we track that and hassle them so they know this is an issue?

Today, Jitsi is burning 300% cpu for no reason, so I am going to be down and out pretty soon... while we are waiting for this to get fixed, does anyone know an OSX YIM client that supports an OTR plugin? I use this for Work, so really need something... thx

catbaots
Harmless

Postby catbaots » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

I said I would check back in on Friday but I never got a chance. Currently, I am having no problems using the new beta version on 10.9.1.

On other machines (that are using older versions of OSX) Adium is still not connecting to Yahoo. If they try to sign in using other IM clients such as apples Messages, Official Yahoo, iChat, etc, it works with no problem so I do not think it is an issue on Yahoo's side. Sometimes if you let Adium sit there and try to connect, eventually it might connect, but then the next day same issue. Other IM clients are connecting with Yahoo no matter what.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 pm

jarome wrote:It finally connected yesterday after I logged in via the Web. But today (the 18th) it will not connect.
Yahoo is totally broken.
File transfers out from Adium have not worked for many years.
When you log out of Yahoo (if you can log in), contacts still show as "online"
Rooms do not work properly unless I am the last to enter. Otherwise not everyone sees everyone else.

Yahoo is aware of the problem, but apparently has no ability to fix it. I think all of the good programmers left when Mayer mandated that they come to work and wear shirts and ties. Gmail Time.

djharris
Harmless

Postby djharris » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 pm

BSDguru wrote:
Yahoo is aware of the problem, but apparently has no ability to fix it. I think all of the good programmers left when Mayer mandated that they come to work and wear shirts and ties. Gmail Time.

Do you have a source for that?

My money is on Yahoo being able to fix it, on their end or Adium/Pidgin, but not wanting to because the official client works fine. /cynicism

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 am

Since last night, Yahoo has been connecting with more reliability for me on Adium. I had some problem with it last night, I don't think I had any problem connecting today. Not sure what was wrong before, though.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Return to “Adium”